Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-12-2014, 07:27   #16

Boat: Bavaria Cruiser 40
Re: Amateur Radio License - needed?

Quote:
Originally Posted by FollowingCs View Post
I'm looking at taking the FCC Amateur Radio license Technician (first level) test tomorrow.

Any benefit to having this for cruising?

I'm an Electrical Engineer by schooling, so the tech questions are easy. The 'regulations' are a bit harder, but I know a good deal of them already.

- Ray
~ Following C's ~
Depends on where you are planning on cruising. It is a legal necessity in the UK for anyone using a radio transmitter to have a licence recognised by the Office of Telecommunications - such as the RYA Short Range Certificate for VHF for example. Other European countries require similar licences for users of radio transmitters. Generally if you have a VHF, HF or other certificate or licence issued by a recognised body these are accepted worldwide. The penalty for using a radio transmitter in the UK without a licence, except in a MayDay situation, is normally a steep fine and may include a ban from holding such a licence.

Keiron
kas_1611 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 07:51   #17

Boat: 1995 Privilege 51

Alright, you guys convinced me to take both tests on the same day, which will now be a more reasonable Jan 10th. I reviewed the General questions a bit, and it does seem fairly simple to just get those down as well, but not by 4:30 pm today.

The test today at 4:30 on New Year's Eve is more problematic than I thought, not realizing the Admiral's full Honey-Do list for today, since I'm off work of course...

- Ray
~ Following C's ~
FollowingCs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 07:54   #18

Boat: Allied 39

Good luck to you. Be sure to try those suggested online study sites.

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Old 31-12-2014, 08:05   #19

Will do. I'd been using a few other sites like nc4fb.org, and taking the practice exams on arrl.org.

The more I research, could be an interesting little hobby while I wait for the 17 year old to get out of the house..... Plenty of clubs around Dayton Ohio.

- Ray
~ Following C's ~
Old 31-12-2014, 08:16   #20

Boat: Dufour 40"

Best,
Good choice for ship to ship communication.
Got a lot of interesting info from xtremedistricts.com concerning satellite comms. Nice guys with fair deals and lots of free info.
regards Tuiga
Tuiga is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 09:28   #21

Boat: Cal 46-3, 46' ketch

Been a ham for 50+ years and also avid sailor/ part time cruiser. Good ham radio nets on both West Coast and East Coasts and Caribbean. Even with internet/ smart phone I liked the extra safety, wx info, and if if I had question about something... someone on Net almost always had the answer. While the Nets are active... there are many many more just listening in the background (like me) that won't necessarily check-in but always willing to help if needed/ have specific info you need. While we all believe we are 'explorers' most of the cruisers routes, anchorages, marinas have well worn paths and a Net participant will likely have a fresh experience there. Ham radio on board is a great tool to have in your toolbox.

This Fourm and another one called Active Captain are other great tools. Active Captain, especially if your plans call for going up/ down ICW will be particularly useful with its social/ cloud updating of info on anchorages, marinas, restaurants, shoaling not shown on charts, updated phone numbers for marine managers/ yards. Its like having a local experienced captain with you. Info is only days or hours old. One of their options is to opt in to share your/ see other Active Captain boat position in your immediate area which facilitates ability to exchange info/ meet other cruisers... maybe even get help off shoal area. Bob, W3GAC

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
W3GAC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-12-2014, 18:13   #22

Boat: Bruce Roberts 36' ketch

Don't know the USA regulations on radio usage, but in Australia and I believe New Zealand, you require a Certificate of Proficiency to operate any type radio, and if using HF/SSB, whether marine or ham, the transceiver must be registered with the marine authorities. All the above is not required in emergency situations. (Pan Pan or MayDay)
Mishiwa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-01-2015, 09:27   #23

I got the Tech test completed on Jan 10th. Didn't have time to study for the General, even in the slightest. Next testing on Jan 28th so should knock it out by then.

- Ray
~ Following C's ~
Old 13-01-2015, 13:44   #24

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
I got the Tech test completed on Jan 10th. Didn't have time to study for the General, even in the slightest. Next testing on Jan 28th so should knock it out by then.

- Ray
~ Following C's ~
Good on ya, mate.
Old 15-01-2015, 05:11   #25

Boat: Allied 39

Quote:

- Ray

~ Following C's ~

Congratulations Ray!! Good luck on the General! You are on a roll
Chuck

Old 29-01-2015, 04:54   #26
Marine Service Provider

I got my general by just listening to Gordon West's CDs in the car (transferred to my iPhone). Worked a charm. I understand that a General is good to do all that you need for U.S. waters, but if you go farther a field a Extra licence give you automatic reciprocity everywhere but the Bahamas. I think you are forced to take some kind of a test to use Ham frequencies in the Bahamas - perhaps someone will comment.

There is so many benefits from having another resource for information and communications, even if you are lucky enough to have a satellite phone.

You don't have to "Ham it up" to get benefits, but some of the cruising Hams are the nicest, most knowledgeable people on communications in general and they are always ready to share. And when they move on land they have great equipment.

Mark Brownhill
sevenseasu.com
SevenSeasU is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 06:04   #27
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Seaton 60' Ketch

Mark is correct on the amateur extra being helpful while cruising Europe for CEPT reciprocity.
Get your ham license for many reasons... It will make you a better operator and open your cruising comma to a new level. Lots of friendly support out there.

No exam for a Bahamian license, just some paperwork and about $20. Someone with more recent knowledge can share current prices and procedures. I got mine in Nassau while I waited.

http://www.arrl.org/cept

http://www.arrl.org/reciprocal-permit

Scott
WA0LSS

Scott Berg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-01-2015, 14:52   #28

Location: The boat - New Bern, NC, USA; Us - Kingsport, TN, USA
Boat: 1988 Pacific Seacraft 34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scott Berg View Post
. Someone with more recent knowledge can share current prices and procedures.
Publications Document Library - URCA

I have applied by mail for a reciprocal Bahamas amateur license annually for the last few years. It's easy and $25. They will send you a pdf of the license by email and also a paper copy by post.

Bill Murdoch
AK4PO/C6A
wsmurdoch is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
license, radio