Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 04-12-2010, 20:09   #1

Boat: Beneteau 393, 40', "Pilialoha"
Amateur Radio Operation in French Polynesia

Anyone applied recently to the French authorities for reciprocal privileges to operate HAM radio in French Polynesia? I'd appreciate any info. re: application process, lead time, etc.
Cheers,
Rick Hamill
Kaneohe, HI
RickH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-12-2010, 05:30   #2
Nearly an old salt

Boat: Bavaria 36
If you have a CEPT license or one recognised As such I don't beleive you need a visitors license anymore

Dave
Old 05-12-2010, 12:18   #3
֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎֍֎

Rick, you might want to contact the ARRL they will have information about what is needed for reciprocal operations.
hellosailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-12-2010, 20:06   #4

Thanks to you both. I'll follow up on your suggestions. I'm also hoping to hear from anyone who has actually been through the process recently.
Cheers.
Rick
Old 06-12-2010, 21:13   #5

Boat: Catalina 470
US Licensed Hams operating in French Polynesia

Rick,
You didn't mention if you're a US licensed ham, nor whether you're an Extra Class (or Advanced Class) licensee.....
But, assuming you are, then you have NO worries....
There is NO Application, NO lead time, etc.....

In the past few years, I've operated from Portugal, Gibraltar (UK), and Spain.....under CEPT authority, with no worries.....(but have not done so from French Polynesia....so, please read the info below and at www.arrl.org )

The whole description of CEPT can be found at www.arrl.org/cept and CEPT Information

But, for those looking for the highlights...here goes...

Quote:
Under the CEPT agreement, US Amateurs need to bring three things when traveling to a participating CEPT country:
1) Bring their original US license
2) Bring proof of US citizenship (generally in the form of a Passport)
3) Bring a copy of theFCC's Public Notice (this notice contains its information in three languages, English, French and German) which details what US Amateurs need to consider, and bring with them, when traveling to a CEPT country.
[Note: While FCC does not state that your original hardcopy license is a document you must carry in CEPT areas, the actual CEPT agreement the US agreed to indicates that US Amateurs will possess such a document; so be sure to bring your FCC-issued original hardcopy license document when you travel and operate in CEPT areas].
Classes of license/operation. There are two levels of reciprocity with the European Community under what is known as CEPT.
Full reciprocal operating privileges are accorded to US Amateur Extra and Advanced class licensees under T/R 61-01.
Limited reciprocal operating privilileges are accorded to US General class licensees in European countries that have adopted ECC Recommendation (05)06.
There is no equivalent CEPT class for the US Technician or Novice license, therefore a US Technician or Novice licensee is not eligible to operate under CEPT reciprocity.
As I wrote above, I assume that you are a US-Licensed Extra Class ham????
If so, just print out these pages, http://www.arrl.org/files/file/cept-ral.pdf
and take your vald US/FCC issued Extra Class license, and you're all set.....

US-Licensed Hams of Extra Class (or older Advanced Class) have full privilages, BUT, "General Class" US-licensed hams are NOT granted CEPT operating privilages in most countries.....(as of now the only countries that accept US "general class" hams, and grant them operating privilages are: Belgium, Croatia, Czech Republic, Denmark, Germany, Hungary, Iceland, Liechtenstein, Luxembourg, Netherlands, Portugal, Romania, Slovak Republic, Slovenia, and Switzerland.)
And, while I've no personal experiences with the French gardames, I'd not recommend that you attempt to exceed the privilages granted to you, remember you will be operating under their laws, not US laws.....

And, as for France and French Polynesia specifically....
Quote:
Participating for France, Corsica, Guadeloupe, French Guyana, Martinique, St. Bartholomew, St.
Pierre and Miquelon, St. Martin, Reunion and its Dependencies, Mayotte, French Antarctica, French
Polynesia and Clipperton, New Caledonia, and Wallis and Futuna.

I hope this helps...

John
s/v Annie Laurie
ka4wja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2010, 21:06   #6

John: Thank you so much for your detailed response.
Currently, I hold a General class license (KB6VEU). I have read the ARRL resources you recommend. I will be sailing to Fr. Polynesia in Spring 2012. While in Fr. waters, my primary need is to be able to transmit on 20 meters (14.300) so to check in with the Pacific Seafarer's Net, and to contact home via phone patch. My understanding is that, with my Gen. class license, I will not have these privileges.
It seems I need to apply for reciprocal privileges. Do you have any info re: such an application, or suggestions for other options.
Cheers,
Rick
Old 09-12-2010, 15:13   #7

US Licensed Hams operating in French Polynesia

Rick,
You're welcome....

I personally believe that you'd be better served by commercial maritime services (and/or satcom services), rather than the amateur radio service (see below for details).....
But, here are the answers to your questions, nonetheless....

As for your specific issue.....
I'm NOT an international lawyer, so please understand my thoughts are those of a long-time ham operator......
My understanding is, the CEPT authority IS the way to be granted reciprocal privilages in France / French territories......and unless you will be a permanent resident there (which would ential visas and/or immigration permits), then you'd operate under your US-issued license, with operating privilages granted under CEPT authority.....

If your US-license is not accepted (as in this case of a "General Class" Amateur License), I'm not sure what your recourse is.....

But, here is my advice:

1) Number one on my list would be for you to upgrade to Extra Class....
Now-a-days, it's really not that hard.....
(I hear many "new" Extras on-the-air, and read some of their writings on-line, and wonder how they even passed their Novice Exam....so, evidently passing the Extra Class test these days is way easier than in the past....)

2) I assume you are not a member of the ARRL????
Join, and seek some assistance (questions answered, etc.) from them, would be my first piece of advice...
{I've actually been a member since 1974, and while I do NOT support all of their efforts and policy goals, on balance I do find the ARRL to be an invaluable resource for Ham Radio....}

Quote:
Except in cases where the host country provides unilateral reciprocal privileges, it will be necessary for the visiting amateur radio operator to obtain a full amateur radio license and call sign from the host country. Some countries may accept foreign amateur radio licenses as proof of qualification in lieu of examination requirements
Perhaps you'd be permited to sit for a French Amateur Radio Exam????
But, for your application, I think not.....

3) Number three, would be ONLY IF YOU'VE EXHAUSTED NUMBERS 1 AND 2, ABOVE......
Number three, contact the French Consulate where you are at now (Hawaii ???) and ask them "unoffically" what their advice would be....

Alii Place, Suite 1800
1099 Alakea Street
Honolulu, Hawaii 96813, USA
Phone: (808) 547-5852 ; Fax: (808) 547-5880 ; Telex: 723-8129

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Now comes the real hard answers....

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickH View Post
While in Fr. waters, my primary need is to be able to transmit on 20 meters (14.300) so to check in with the Pacific Seafarer's Net, and to contact home via phone patch.
My understanding is that, with my Gen. class license, I will not have these privileges.
It seems I need to apply for reciprocal privileges. Do you have any info re: such an application, or suggestions for other options.
4) I may be reading too much between the lines, and if I am please forgive me.....
But, it appears that you're interested in the Amateur Radio Service for a specific personal reason.....and that is not what the Amateur Radio Service is designed for......
Yes, you CAN use ham radio at sea, etc.....and yes, you CAN use it for access to weather forecasts, etc.......Nobody, including me, would try to stifle you from doing so.....BUT.....

But, are you aware of 2 big issues that are in the way to allow you to do what you want?????

a) Are you aware of the 5 basic reasons for the Amateur Radio Service????
Taken from FCC rules, Part 97:
Quote:
97.1 Basis and purpose.-
The rules and regulations in this Part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:
(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.
(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.
(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communications and technical phases of the art.
(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.
(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill.

If not, and if you have no intention of carrying out any of those goals, I'd suggest that you look to the Commercial Maritime Radio Service (aka, SSB) for your weather and shore-side connectivity requirements.....
(And/or a satellite communications service)
There are NO tests to take, NO reciprocal licenses to worry about, etc....and you'd have excellent voice (phone patch) coverage across the Pacific from both www.shipcom.com (KLB / WLO) and Brunei Bay Radio....as well as Aus and NZ.....
And, getting your weather directly from the sources (US NWS/NOAA, etc.) is more reliable and up-to-date......

Have a look at a thread discussing weather sources for the Pacific, and I think you'll see what I mean....

Please understand, I LOVE the MMSN and Pac Seafarer Net.....I check-in often and LOVE all of those guys......(Tom, VE3II is good friend.....and Rene, K4EDX is a really cool guy too, and he also owns Shipcom...)
But, I'm just wondering if the Commercial Maritime Service would suit your needs better than ham radio???

Perhaps, I'm wrong....and perhaps sections "a" and "e" above apply to most offshore sailing hams (you, included)......
So, again, please forgive me if I read too much into what you wrote.....

But, here's the real hard answer....
b) Furthermore, you seem to be forgetting the rules regaqrding "Third-Party Traffic"......regarding whether you can make phone-patches on the amateur radio service, when in foreign countries and their waters.....
As far as I know France (and their possessions) is NOT a signator of a "third-party traffic" agreement.....
See details here..... Third-Party Operating Agreements
So, no matter what class of license you'd hold, you would NOT be able to use amateur radio to "make phone patches" to others.....

My assumption (again, I could be wrong) is that you are unaware of the very restrictive international rules regarding Amateur Radio Third Party Traffic......

5) So, Rick, if as you wrote, you're goal is to make phone calls from your boat in French waters, you WILL NEED TO USE THE COMMERCIAL MARITIME SERVICE, a satellite communications service (INMARSAT or Iridium), and/or the telecommunications services provided/sold locally (whether land-line, internet, cellular, etc...), not the Amateur Radio Service.....

While in int'l waters, it's very do-able and legal, but it's still rare...
I'm not sure who/where informed you of the "phone-patch" idea, but it is a rare occurance these days, especially due to the limited number of countries allowing it....
Quote:
V2Antigua/BarbudaLO-LWArgentinaVKAustraliaV3BelizeCPBoliviaT9Bosnia-HerzegovinaPP-PYBrazilVE, VO, VYCanadaCA-CEChileHJ-HKColombiaD6Comoros (Federal Islamic Republic of)TI, TECosta RicaCM, COCubaHIDominican RepublicJ7DominicaHC-HDEcuadorYSEl SalvadorC5Gambia, The9GGhanaJ3GrenadaTGGuatemala8RGuyanaHHHaitiHQ-HRHonduras4X, 4ZIsrael6YJamaicaJYJordanELLiberiaV7Marshall IslandsXA-XIMexicoV6Micronesia, Federated States ofYNNicaraguaHO-HPPanamaZPParaguayOA-OCPeruDU-DZPhilippinesVR6Pitcairn Island*V4St. Kitts/NevisJ6St. LuciaJ8St. Vincent and the Grenadines9LSierra LeoneZR-ZUSouth Africa3DASwaziland9Y-9ZTrinidad/TobagoTA-TCTurkeyGBUnited KingdomCV-CXUruguayYV-YYVenezuela4U1ITUITU - Geneva4U1VICVIC - Vienna

I do hope this helps.....

John
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 09-12-2010, 15:49   #8
Eternal Member

To recap,

1. In International waters your existing General Class license is fine for contacting the Pacific Seafarers' Net and for running phone patches to the U.S. (if you can find a ham with a phone patch);

2. In French waters, under CEPT, if you upgrade to Amateur Extra Class you will be able to contact the Pacific Seafarer's Net but you will NOT be able to run phone patches.

However, you can use satellite services as mentioned OR you could possibly use HF/SSB marine services made available by WLO's affiliate station in the Pacific Northwest, KLB operated by Shipcom. This is a commercial service which charges by the minute. See ShipCom LLC :: Marine HF Radiotelephone and HF Single SideBand Email

Bill
WA6CCA
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2010, 05:27   #9

Boat: SAnta Cruz 27
The path of least resistance is to get your extra license and the CEPT. It wasn't available the first time I went to French Polynesia in the 90's, and I had to get a temporary license from the telecommunications there. It wasn't easy and they were difficult to deal with and downright rude because I don't speak french.
donradcliffe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 06:32   #10

Boat: Le Guen Hémidy, Lévrier de mer, 16 m / 53 ft, "AZAWAKH"
Send a message via Skype™ to Eric50
Re: Amateur Radio Operation in French Polynesia

Hi,

FYI, here is the official weblink to the ANFR, the french authority for the radio communication:

ANFR

Unfortunately...in french, sorry guys.

Anyway, I did submit the question and I am supposed to receive an answer not later than 15 days from now.

I will forward (and translate it, of course) it as soon I receive it.

I browsed the ANFR site but could not find any particular requirement to foreign boats and for the french polynesia, I would assume that, provide you are Ok with your own national rules and international regulation, you should not be requested anything more or particular in french polynesia.

But, to be 100% sure, let's wait the answer from the ANFR.

Hope this will help.

Best regards.
Old 26-02-2011, 07:52   #11

Boat: HR 40
Send a message via Skype™ to Auspicious

Since we're defining things (always good practice), it's worth a moment to define Third Party Traffic.

Section 97.115 of the Commission's Rules, 47 C.F.R. §97.115, authorizes an amateur station regulated by the FCC to transmit a message from its control operator (first party) to another amateur station control operator (second party) on behalf of another person (third party). No amateur station, however, shall transmit messages for a third party to any station within the jurisdiction of any foreign government whose administration has not made arrangements with the United States to allow amateur stations to be used for transmitting international communications on behalf of third parties.

See FCC: Wireless Services: Amateur Radio Service: About Amateur: International Arrangements

Phone patches are third party traffic, but so is Winlink e-mail to an unlicensed recipient and messages passed verbally ("I saw your friend Ted at the hardware store and he says 'hi'.").

Last December while I was on an offshore delivery, my girl friend sent e-mail to Bill (btrayfors, WA6CCA) who read them to me during the Waterway Net each morning. That was third party traffic.
Auspicious is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-02-2011, 08:25   #12

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

I improved my offshore communications capabilities, and reduced my exposure to crusty old hams who denigrated the (considerable) time and effort I devoted to joining their hobby, by selling my ham radio on Ebay. With the proceeds, I bought a satellite phone, a used AIS receiver, and a 406 megahertz EPIRB.

I earned an Extra class license, by the way, and actively played radio from my home for about three years before I ever installed the radio on a boat. The Extra class license is doable but not easy. It is fun to learn all the stuff you need to learn, and I use that knowledge often while hooking up and running my far newer and far more reliable 21st century communications gear.

I do NOT say these things to discourage anyone from taking up amateur radio as a hobby. I DO say it to encourage my fellow hams to reexamine some of their postings on this subject. Are you being a good ambassador?
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-02-2011, 16:43   #13

Tia Blue,
While I usually try not to contribute to thread drift.....your comments make me wince, and I'd like to drift ever so slightly...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tia Bu View Post
......reduced my exposure to crusty old hams who denigrated the (considerable) time and effort I devoted to joining their hobby....
1) PLEASE accept my apology on behalf of any/all of the "crusty old hams", who weren't very welcoming!!!
There is NO excuse for the rudeness you obviously experienced.....

I've been a ham for over 30 years, since I was a teenager (and been involved in electronics/communications for longer than that), and while I do see/hear the courseness of our society as a whole, seeping into ham radio, PLEASE understand that this is NOT the norm......and is NOT accepted by anyone who empitimizes the ideals of the Amateur Radio Service.......
Those that act that way are not my friends, and just like there are jerks in real life, they seem to be finding their way into Ham Radio as well....
(discussing the reasons why would take all night!!!)

{These ideals:
97.1 Basis and purpose.-
The rules and regulations in this Part are designed to provide an amateur radio service having a fundamental purpose as expressed in the following principles:
(a) Recognition and enhancement of the value of the amateur service to the public as a voluntary noncommercial communication service, particularly with respect to providing emergency communications.
(b) Continuation and extension of the amateur's proven ability to contribute to the advancement of the radio art.
(c) Encouragement and improvement of the amateur service through rules which provide for advancing skills in both the communications and technical phases of the art.
(d) Expansion of the existing reservoir within the amateur radio service of trained operators, technicians, and electronics experts.
(e) Continuation and extension of the amateur's unique ability to enhance international goodwill. }

Tia Blue, I make NO defense of the hams who apparently turned you sour on a very useful and honorable service......
They themselves seem to have forgotten what Ham Radio is.....
It is NOT a hobby (although many do find it to be as addictive as any hobby), the Amateur Radio Service is just that, a SERVICE.....
It is a Service that is a privilage to practice, by those who do it for "love".....the "love" of radio......
The latin route of "Amateur", is Ama / Amor.....Ama / Amor in English, is Love.....

Those who trash newcomers to the Service, are doing no justice to the Service......
Those of us "old-timers" (can't believe I'm now an "old-timer") need to nurture newcomers......and that's how the Service survives....

As long as both "old-timers" (we used to be called "Old Man") and newcomers (we used to call them Novice Class) are BOTH willing to accept each other.....
and BOTH are willing to be patient.....
and BOTH are understanding that while everyone can learn from everyone else, it IS the "old-timers" responsibility to TEACH the newcomer, and the newcomer's responsibility to LEARN from the old-timer......
It DOES work......it has for almost 100 years......and it can still work for 100 more years......
Everyone checks their egos......the newcomer really wants to learn (and learn the correct facts and procedures)....and the old-timer doesn't want their reputation scared anymore than the newcomer wants to embarrass themselves.....
It works......it really does.....

I'm not sure who/what transpired to sour you on amateur radio......but I do freely admit that I myself have rolled my eyes after hearing something truly ridiculous on-air (or reading some internet post about ham radio, etc.), but I also try to politely steer them to the facts....

Everyone has "bad days", and sometimes that frustration is misdirected.....heck, I've done it myself!!!
But, I cannot fathom that one or two "bad apples" spoiled your amateur radio experience.....
So, again, please accept my apologies on behalf of the rest of us "good guys"!!!!!

Quote:
I earned an Extra class license....
2) Congrats on the Extra.....
However, I do hope you understand that that is not the end of "learning stuff", but rarther just the beginning????
Not a week goes by that I don't learn something new about electronics, RF, radio, etc...and remember that I've been doing this for more than 35 years!!!!
(And then there is the "art" of radio, which is never truly mastered by anyone.....)

Quote:
I do NOT say these things to discourage anyone from taking up amateur radio as a hobby. I DO say it to encourage my fellow hams to reexamine some of their postings on this subject. Are you being a good ambassador?
3) Tia Blue, this is the one part of your post that I cannot figure.....

I've read (and participated in) a LOT of posts on ham radio, etc. both here at CF and SSCA, etc....and I cannot recall myself, or any of my fellow hams, being anything other than supportive, and many times they (and myself) are even criticized for encouraging others to join the Amateur Radio Service and learn the art of HF ardio, etc. (being refered to as "old fashioned" is the best priase we usually get....)

SO....
So, to be blunt about this.....What in the world do you mean by this???
Please let us know.....

John, KA4WJA
s/v Annie Laurie
Old 27-02-2011, 19:00   #14

Boat: 40' Jeanneau

John:

Thread drift? The OP asked how to get amateur privileges in French Polynesia. He got a lecture on the appropriate uses of amateur radio. Since this is a forum on cruising in boats, one could safely assume that the only reason he had a ham radio on his boat was to communicate with other people from out at sea. That, as far as I can tell, is a perfectly legitimate purpose for ham communications, as long as he's not conducting for-profit business or, in French Polynesia, conveying third party communications.

A couple of people piped in that the best way for a non-francophone to get such privileges was to pass the U.S. Amateur Extra exam. Then we get thread drift about how the Amateur Extra license just isn't as demanding as it used to be.

My post, besides giving a bit of feedback on what it takes to pass the Extra exam these days, merely pointed out that the most practical route might well be to sell the radio and buy a satellite phone.

While there are plenty of unwelcoming hams out there on the air, I was referring to posts on this forum when I complained of feeling denigrated on the subject of amateur radio.

I'll stand by my post.

73, or as they used to say on the CB bands-- We gone. Bye! I've said my last on the subject of HF radio.

I wish you all well and share your sincere desire to share useful information with our fellow cruisers.
Tia Bu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2011, 06:00   #15

Boat: Le Guen Hémidy, Lévrier de mer, 16 m / 53 ft, "AZAWAKH"
Send a message via Skype™ to Eric50

Hi guys,

As promised, I received the answer from the ANFR:

Start of answer:
"D’une façon générale, l’entrée d’un bateau de plaisance dans les eaux territoriales de la Polynésie française nécessite une déclaration en douane. Nous vous invitons à vous rapprocher de la Direction régionale des douanes en Polynésie française pour effectuer ou préparer cette formalité. Le document joint vous expliquera les grandes lignes du régime d’admission temporaire et vous indiquera les adresses utiles.

Concernant plus précisément le matériel de radiocommunication, la réponse à votre question dépend de la nature des équipements.

Pour les équipements radiomaritimes installés à bord, il vous est demandé :

1) d’être en possession de votre licence radio et du certificat d’opérateur correspondant ;

2) d’utiliser ces équipements en respectant la réglementation internationale sur les radiocommunications maritimes (notamment sur les fréquences autorisées) ;

3) de conserver ce matériel radio à bord du bateau et de ne pas le revendre en Polynésie française.

Pour les téléphones portables connectés au réseau public : aucun exigence particulière ne vous sera demandée (ces appareils ne sont pas soumis à autorisation).

Pour tous les autres équipements radioélectriques que vous comptez utiliser à bord du bateau ou débarquer temporairement (comme par exemple : un talkie-walkie, une VHF terrestre, une borne WiFi, un équipement radioamateur, …), vous devrez fournir à la douane, une autorisation d’importation pour chacun d’eux. Pour obtenir cette autorisation, il vous faudra remplir le formulaire de demande ci-joint (un formulaire par équipement) et nous le retourner par fax (+689 50 60 63) ou par courriel (polynesie@anfr.pf). Attention, compte tenu que vous séjournerez dans les eaux territoriales en suspension des droits et taxes de douane, vous ne devrez en aucun cas revendre votre matériel en Polynésie française.

Pour tous renseignements complémentaires concernant les radiofréquences, merci d’adresser vos courriels directement à notre adresse locale (polynesie@anfr.pf)."

End of the answer.

The text has 2 main parts: the foreword mention the fact that firstly you need, at the boat arrival, to perform the custom clearance as per an attached document, which I copied the main custom contact detail here after:
Direction régionale des Douanes de Polynésie françasie

B.P. 9006 MOTU UTA
98 715 PAPEETE
Tel : (00-689) 50.55.50 / 52

E-mail : secretariat@douane.pf

Cellule Conseil des douanes

Tel : (00-689) 50.55.68
E-mail : cce@douane.pf

Autres adresses utiles :

Port autonome de Papeete

B.P. 9164 MOTU UTA
Tel : (00-689) 50.54.54 / 42.12.12

Police aux frontières (PAF)
B.P. 6362 – 98 703 FAAA
Tel : (00-689) 42.40.74

This is for the boat itself, the original document (again, I am afraid in french, 2 pages) can be forwarded if you ask it and give me an email address.

The second part of the answer is about radiocommunication and related equipment that you have onboard:

You can use them provide you have all the necessary licenses (operator license, license for the equipment...) from your country of origin and follow the internation rules while using them, in particular the frequencies.
This is only for the fixed radio equipment onboard as VHF, Marine SSB and the like.
It is mentionned as well that you can not sell these equipment in French Polynesia (as you are under a temporary import status with no tax of importation on the equipment while entering the area), and you can NOT disembark the equipment as well.

For the cellular / GSM phones no particular procedure or document is required and they do not need any authorisation to be used.

Then it says that, for any other type of radio equipment as land VHF, HAM, PMR...you need to ask, for each of them an authorisation for importation (considered as temporary) by filling a specific form that was attached with the ANFR answser (and that I can forward you on request...once again in French, sorry, I can help to translate) and send the form by fax the the indicated number: (+689 50 60 63) or by email to (polynesie@anfr.pf).

You need to ask 1 authorisation per piece of equipment and, therefore need to fill 1 form for each of them.

My apologises for the long reply and for the fact that I could not attached the 2 documents to let you have access to them easily.

My apologises as well for the french texts and typical complexity of the french administration, but i tried to give you all I got from the ANFR.

Let's try to make it simple:

At your arrival, perform the custom clearance and temporary importation of the boat as per the first document.

Make sure you are OK with all your licenses and respect the radio international rules.

For all the non-marine radio equipment, make the individual request of (temporary) importation by issuing the request form (2nd document) for each of them. This last document is quite simple and only a description of the equipment, its reference, and the type of use you intend to do with it (professionnal, private...).
Last detail for this individual request, you need to attach the evidence and reference of the official approval / homologation of the equipment that was delivered to it when you bought it and that must be with its original documentation.

hope this will help and clarify, do not hesitate to contact me for further details or explanation and if you want me to send you the documents that were attached withe the ANFR answer.

Tags
French Polynesia