Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2021, 09:54   #46

Boat: Morgan 1974 OI 41
Re: Who has fallen off their boat?

One memorable winter at night at the slip:
I was leaving my 25' sloop and carelessly slipped on the gunnel amidships and went feet first into deep water. Thank God I did not hit my head on the way down and was able to swim to a dock ladder. It may be a rare occurrence, but that's probably one reason folks get careless. It does happen, witness all the above tales. Be cautious. Safety first.
winschwab is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 11:18   #47

I have fallen off at least a couple of times. But, thank God, every time it happened, I was either at anchor or tied to a dock.
Old 12-09-2021, 11:20   #48

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

My only overboard was my wife at dock. After that we had a long talk about cleating off on the boat BEFORE casting line to dock cleat.

But after watching the movie Open Water 2, I live in fear of not being able to get back onboard.

Diving overboard an anchor for a a swim shows you just how far above sea level those gunnels are on a decent sized sea going boat.

In addition to MOB kit on a lifeline, I always keep a short rope from swim ladder that just touches the water so You can pull it down, and I've tried it to make sure it works.

I also keep a small buoy attacked to a long coiled floating line tied to stern in a slip knot that can be grabbed from the water, and pulled loose.

I always trail this line when anyone is in the water in case they are swept away by a strong current, they have 10 seconds to grab it before the buoy at the end which is big enough to easily grab, and can float an adult.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2021, 13:41   #49

Boat: Dean 440 13.4m catamaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterman46 View Post
I say to myself every few seconds, "If I go over, I WILL die."
ditto (although when solo i don't wear harness or pdf...who's gunna rescue me ?)

cheers,
Old 15-09-2021, 00:22   #50

I fell overboard at anchor. I was sitting on the Bulwark having an evening glass of wine and leaned back to look a a beautiful starry night sky and did a scuba diver entry into the water below. Fortunately that boat was easy to climb out of the water with a ⅝” bobstay chain.
There was an incident recently where a woman was found at swimming at sea 11 klm off the Netherlands coast by an elderly couple on a passing yacht. They failed to get her out of the water but contacted the rescue helicopter service and all ended well. I believe the swimmer was.....not skinny but in the article that I read there was mention of a “catch and lift” rescue system, has anyone on the forum used or researched one of these. It looks like a fairly risky thing to use. Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2702.jpg
Views:	100
Size:	285.9 KB
ID:	245351
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 05:48   #51

Boat: Leopard Catamaran

I think the bottom line here is, if you ever plan to be on the water,....buy a chinup bar, and use it.
capn_billl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 06:50   #52

Quote:
Originally Posted by BillKny View Post
I am always amazed at how FEW people fall off boats. We have inherited an unusually good sense of balance from our long ago tree-climbing ancestors.

I taught sailing for 8 years, full time. I was out on the water with three or four inexperienced people 5 days a week on boats from 24 to 40 feet, sailing in central San Francisco Bay in conditions that would be considered “boisterous” by most sailors.

With all those hours, and all those people, I had two who ended up in the water, and both were at the dock.
Most likely the difference in situation explains much of it.
- In sail training, you have people who are unfamiliar with boats or at least the boat they are learning on, so they are paying extra attention.
- As a long term liveaboard/cruiser, stepping from deck to dock in the morning with your coffee in hand, you are likely not paying as much attention.

We see this in the road construction business where the new guy is very careful and watchful when working close to an open lane of traffic but the guy with 20yrs experience turns his back to a 70mph semi 12inches away as if it's nothing.

As far as depth of swim ladders...18" is doable for a young healthy individual who is not shocked or hypothermic. If you aren't in tip top shape or you injured yourself on the way down or it simply takes you a few minutes and go hypothermic...a deeper 3-4 step dive style ladder is worlds better. (Keep in mind just because you can climb it...can all your guests?)

As far as doing pull ups...even back in my 20's when I played multiple sports and could run a 6 min mile, I couldn't do a pull up if my life depended on it.
valhalla360 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2021, 09:33   #53

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by skipperpete View Post
I fell overboard at anchor. I was sitting on the Bulwark having an evening glass of wine and leaned back to look a a beautiful starry night sky and did a scuba diver entry into the water below. Fortunately that boat was easy to climb out of the water with a ⅝” bobstay chain.
There was an incident recently where a woman was found at swimming at sea 11 klm off the Netherlands coast by an elderly couple on a passing yacht. They failed to get her out of the water but contacted the rescue helicopter service and all ended well. I believe the swimmer was.....not skinny but in the article that I read there was mention of a “catch and lift” rescue system, has anyone on the forum used or researched one of these. It looks like a fairly risky thing to use. Attachment 245351
That "Catch and Lift" system scares me silly. It would require EXTREMELY precise throttle control to get the person up on deck without slamming them into the snatch block. Even moving forward at one knot would be disastrous and, with only a belt around them they are going to be hanging onto the line - and will lose fingers in the snatch block. And in a seaway with the boat bouncing up and down and just drifting with the wind? Forget it!

Do the people who develop and market these things ever test them?

I have a gantry at the stern (over the boarding ladder) that I can run the Lifesling line through with a fair lead to a two speed sheet winch. With my Milwaukee M28 power "winch handle" I can easily lift (or assist up the ladder) anyone from the water. It works beautifully! (I've tried it).
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 08:37   #54

Falling off is very serious business, particularly in colder waters in early spring or fall in midwest where hypothermia can occur. We have boated on Lake Michigan for 47 years and never had an overboard situation. My neighbor went overboard in his slip and it was a very difficult time to get him back on the dock. Took 3 adults and line to achieve this. Certainly a boarding ladder would help. If you are alone in the marina do a survey of nearby boats that may have swim platforms or put your ladder in place for protection. Certainly, safety lines are appropriate if you have and use them. Getting s person out of the water is much more challenging than you can imagine.....I know. Thanks for listening.. Dean
Dean Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 08:39   #55
Marine Service Provider

Boat: home built 31' Hartley Tasman

I sailed many many thousands of miles and only "fell" off my boat once while I was at anchor lol, when I MIGHT have had a few.... but I never sailed, with or without crew, without towing a fairly long ski line with a little float at the end, incase anyone fell off accidently, and on top of that I usually had a fishing line trolling aft as well...so if you missed the ski line .....
sailorladd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 08:50   #56

I hate to say it, but a really LOT of stupid folks here. I'm sure you quickly realized your mistake and hopefully learned something.

A few thoughts:
NEVER board or leave a boat that isn't secured to the dock. And NO jumping on or off.

NEVER leave the cabin when the boat is pitching where you need to hold on, without a lanyard.
Be SURE to brief your passengers.
Train for the possibility of a MOB, and if you're solo, have a solution before it happens.

Maybe I'm lucky... NEVER have fallen off and NEVER had a pax that did.
Larryo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 08:54   #57

Boat: 1990 Island Packet 32

I choose to wear a PFD while boating, for which I have sometimes been ridiculed.

Years ago, my then-spouse and I were launching a trailer sailboat at a marina. We stepped the mast, backed her into the water, parked the car, and returned to the dock to move her.

I paused and said, "Just a minute. I need to grab my PFD."

My spouse sighed and said, "We are only going around the end of this dock, over to that side-tie space."

I put on my PFD and we untied. I did not know much about boats. I was standing near the bow of the boat, bow line in one hand and forestay in the other - standing outside of the lifelines so I could easily step off.

Just as we rounded the end of the dock, a gust of wind or wake or something hit us broadside. The little boat struck and bounced off of the corner of the dock, vaulting me off the bow into the chilly water of Puget Sound. Between the boat and the dock.

My spouse dropped to his belly on the dock, hands stretched out toward me as I emerged with the bow line in hand, saying "I'm fine. Get the line!"

He was quite shaken, as he had seen how easily I could have hit my head on the dock. Of course, with my PFD on, at least I would have popped up to the surface. Without it, if I was unconscious, I would sink in the dark, cold water and be lost.

Please consider how your kids, parents, loved ones will feel if you drown in front of them or your body is never recovered. The "inconvenience" of wearing a PFD or tether is minor in comparison to their loss.
Old 17-09-2021, 09:20   #58

Boat: Custom steel, 41' LOD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundhaven View Post
I choose to wear a PFD while boating, for which I have sometimes been ridiculed.

Years ago, my then-spouse and I were launching a trailer sailboat at a marina. We stepped the mast, backed her into the water, parked the car, and returned to the dock to move her.

I paused and said, "Just a minute. I need to grab my PFD."

My spouse sighed and said, "We are only going around the end of this dock, over to that side-tie space."

I put on my PFD and we untied. I did not know much about boats. I was standing near the bow of the boat, bow line in one hand and forestay in the other - standing outside of the lifelines so I could easily step off.

Just as we rounded the end of the dock, a gust of wind or wake or something hit us broadside. The little boat struck and bounced off of the corner of the dock, vaulting me off the bow into the chilly water of Puget Sound. Between the boat and the dock.

My spouse dropped to his belly on the dock, hands stretched out toward me as I emerged with the bow line in hand, saying "I'm fine. Get the line!"

He was quite shaken, as he had seen how easily I could have hit my head on the dock. Of course, with my PFD on, at least I would have popped up to the surface. Without it, if I was unconscious, I would sink in the dark, cold water and be lost.

Please consider how your kids, parents, loved ones will feel if you drown in front of them or your body is never recovered. The "inconvenience" of wearing a PFD or tether is minor in comparison to their loss.
This should be required reading for anyone considering boating. A great lesson! Like seatbelts, having flares, fire extinguishers, life rafts, etc., wearing a PFD at all times while on the water is a pain 99.99% of the time. But when the unexpected happens, it just may save your life.

Historically I didn't wear a PFD. But when we started to bring our grandkids aboard, and insisted that they wear life jackets, it seemed hypocritical not to do so ourselves - so we started wearing them whenever we were on deck or otherwise around the water. Now, like seatbelts in the car, it's habit. I literally feel uncomfortable on deck if I'm not wearing my PFD.
Scorpius is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 10:58   #59

Not a topic that people may feel good about revealing about themselves, but I'll give it a whirl.

I have only actually fallen into the water once- a few years ago while running for what I thought was a short fast trip in my RBI. Out I went, for no reason that I know. And I did not have kill switch on. All's well that ends well and I don't care to re ignite my PTSD by relating more about the experience. Lesson here: ALWAYs have your kill switch on.

I was sailing to hawaii about 40 years ago on a large schooner. Nightime, on watch, had to pee..... big wave.... luckily remained on board. Many men found overboard have their flies down!

And the time I actually got injured- I had finished a passage in my 36 foot sloop (40 years ago). I was carrying my roll up inflatable back onto the foredeck from the dock. Slipped on wet plastic rub rail on edge of dock and fell in. It was at night and fortunately, I had folks around to pull me out.

I have been around boats now for 45 years. Youthful (and youth-like) exuberance can be very dangerous. The margin between wonder and disaster is quite thin. As my wife and I have gotten older, our motto is: Slow and Deliberate. This motto reminds us of that razors edge.
jd17 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-09-2021, 17:43   #60

Boat: Swarbrick S-80

Quote:
Originally Posted by Soundhaven View Post
One trick when in this situation is to straddle the lifelines (i.e. one leg inside, one outside) until you are actually going to step off.

Oh, and the rule when I’m skippering is that anyone can wear a PFD at any time they want to (as well as the usual times when I require them).
ChrisJHC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat