Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-02-2021, 17:56   #1

Please help, need advice from a pro.

Hello I was given a 1983 Formula Two boat. I love the design, open bow, and the safety a boat this size offers. Also the power and ability to pull the kids on a tube and waterski. I am willing to pay for a redo of the interior, and the engine is no problem.

My question is the exterior needs a lot of work. I have watched countless hours of YouTube videos but no one has tackled a job like this and I am wondering if it is too far gone to restore. It has cracking and crazing in the gel coat on various locations but nothing as bad as where the stern drive is. A few spots the fiberglass is showing. My initial plan is to wash, sand and sand and sand to remove part of the gel coat. Fix the scratches, grind out and fill the crazing with an interlux watertite epoxy filler. Prime it all and repaint with the interlux top side. I know. Huge job.

I am going to attempt to attach pictures. Are these gouges and missing pieces of gel coat too much for the epoxy filler? Should I build the areas up with fiberglass and resin first, sand then prime? Is that crazing too much work for epoxy or should I take it all down to fiberglass in these pics. Thank you for taking the time to read this! Any adice would be appreciated!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	20210223_123639.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	418.1 KB
ID:	233222   Click image for larger version

Name:	20210223_123611.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	419.9 KB
ID:	233223  

Click image for larger version

Name:	20210223_123624.jpg
Views:	74
Size:	428.8 KB
ID:	233224  
randygos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2021, 18:07   #2
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser
Re: Please help, need advice from a pro.

Has the transom been checked for soundness or moisture content ?
It does not look healthy.

The transom is a glass/plywood/glass sandwich. If the wood is completely rotted away (quite possible) the stress load damage can be severe and instantaneous.
Old 23-02-2021, 22:03   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

You need to check anywhere the fiberglass is chipped or cracked for wood rot. If it has rot, that plywood needs to be changed first. No point in putting new fiberglass or gel coat over rot.

It can all be repaired, but what it would cost in a boatyard would be more than the boat is worth. If you do all the work, it still may be more than the boat is worth.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 20:41   #4

Ok I will really dig deep into the transom and see if I can positively determine if there is any rot. In the mean time let's put location into the equation. This boat has spent the majority of its life in fresh water in northern Saskatchewan. Yes way up in Canada. Best case scenario it spends 4 months of the year actually in the water if the owner had a dock. (not typical) most people pull the boats out of the water at the end of the day. Once the season is done the boat sits the remainder of the year frozen solid in - 30c temps. Could any of these factors contribute to the cracking? We have had the boat in the water an entire day and not a drop is in the bottom of the hull.

Yes I know what you are thinking. He is in denial. It's true I don't want the back to be rotten and scrap this project. Any other suggestions?
randygos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-02-2021, 21:00   #5
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Benford 38 Fantail Cruiser

Wet plywood core - freezing, expanding, contracting, yes wet core can exacerbate the fractures. Water expands approx 8% when frozen
Old 24-02-2021, 23:44   #6

Boat: SUN MAID 20

I'd cut a sample with a holesaw, in the crazed area but as far from other structure as you can. judge the plywood & lamination from that. Just my opinion, not an expert.
silkie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-03-2021, 07:38   #7

You have too bang with a rubber mallet , All over transom , Difference in sounds , some cases you will hear hollow .
Difference in sounds is rotted areas
I speak from experince , Impossible too fix transom with engine in place
Has too done from inside not outside ,
Engine must be removed , everything stripped down too the gimbel housing , Gimbal housing removed , Under gimbel housing should be water tight , seldom is , wood is usually soft in that area .
Any screws drilled thru glass into wood , is subject for water too enter,
5200 should be shot into whole also all over screw , Many dont
Scews for swim platform bracket or depth finder, fish finder ,
Economics play into any boat, Becomes a point of no return ,
Sending out is a $ 5500 job just transom ,
Many choose too close gimbal whole , add bracket and outboard ,
Costly
Not just transom , seats , canvas , cushions , time your done becomes a 20 thousand dollar bargain ,
Plenty of late 90ies early 2000's 21-24 ft walk around cuddy cabin boats with OBs around 15 thousand & less , With little too no work ,
I was faced with same and cut my losses , Broke my heart taking too landfill but removing boat from trailer as I drove away with empty trailer ,
A burden lifted , FREEDOM from that massive job ,
Parting out , sold everything more then the boat in turn key ,

GOOD LUCK
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Advice, lease