Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 05-11-2020, 09:13   #1

Outboard Weekender for southwest florida

Was wanting some recommendations on saltwater outboards with enough room for my family of 4 (2 adults 2 teenagers). After some research found that maybe a walk around would be ideal but hard to find info on something that will sleep 4 of us. Would like to be able to do some fishing, beaching, and possible overnight camping on the barrier islands of southwest Florida. We purchased a home with an 8k pound lift that has two bridges before arriving at the gulf. Cape Coral area. Would love to buy used because this is a boat we may use 5-6 times a year. Any insight or recommendations would be greatly appreciated!
ctreon02 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2020, 10:54   #2

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Fiberglas shattering 44' steel trawler
Re: Outboard Weekender for southwest florida

Welcome to the forum, ctreon. Your question lies outside the usual expertise, since the forum is aimed at cruising, and in particular in cruising sailboats. The closest we come to your goal is powered cruisers and trawlers. You might be looking for a 35 ft or so cruiser, but it likely will have an inboard engine.
Old 05-11-2020, 11:10   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by ctreon02 View Post
Was wanting some recommendations on saltwater outboards with enough room for my family of 4 (2 adults 2 teenagers).
I love that area (Gulf coast, the Keys) and we hope to cruise around there in a year or two, but in a small sailboat (19 to 23 ft).

Only suggestion I have is to look for for a small runabout with a V-berth in front and full enclosure or cover so that two can sleep "outside".

If you have teenagers, the boat will probably get out more than 5 or 6 times a year - wakeboarding/water-skiing, weekend raft-ups, etc.
Lake-Effect is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-11-2020, 08:56   #4

I have lived in FL off and on now for 20+ years, with 8 in Clearwater. So here goes:
1. Your 8K lift is worthless. It will hold at best a 25' boat. 25' will not sleep 4 unless you don't mind sleeping under the stars on fold down seats. So you are not going to find a "walk around" that will fit on the lift.

2. You want to use the boat in the Everglades to gunkhole, and to sleep 4.
The minimum size boat you are looking at to sleep 4, with a head and AC will be 31'. Why AC? Well, in the Everglades it's hot and wet all the time. Screens are worthless with the no-see-ums. So your boat will have to have AC. Run the AC when at anchor and you're going to need a gen set.

3. Size and power
So the reality is that you are more likely to be looking at something closer to 40' because the "teens" are going to want to bring a friend, and w/o a "friend" they are no coming on an overnight. Trust me on this... been there done that.

There are a few boats under 40' that will sleep 4 to 6 comfortably. All will have twins engines, either I/O or straight inboard. DO NOT buy an I/O in S Fl. You are looking for trouble, aggravation, and expensive (extensive) repairs. If you can find a diesel boat, it is the better choice.

4. Outboard Boat
Cape Coral is notorious for shallow waters with shifting sand bars. So unless you are careful, you might find yourself on the hard. With and IB boat, that might prove to be expensive too. So your best option is an OB boat. They are reliable, and easy to use to beach, fish, or explore skinny water. There are more and more coming to market, but be prepared to pony up a few $$$. The Pursuit 375 is a great example of a quality OB boat that will suit your needs. You could also find an older Intrepid in S Fl.

5. If I were going to find "that" boat to suit your needs, I would be looking for a power cat that is powered by OB. Cats love skinny water, have tons of room for their size, and are great cruisers. The are easy to maneuver with twins too.

Reality
Would love to buy used because this is a boat we may use 5-6 times a year.
Really. Do you have any clue what it takes to maintain a boat in SE FL? The bottom has to be cleaned monthly. We have bad storms called Hurricanes... and the boat must be pulled and blocked within days of notice. Then there is this thing called mold that loves moist warm/hot places (like engine rooms, cabins, etc. And engines need to be run or they freeze up. You may also learn that as an absentee owner, you will not be able to insure your boat. Also, unless the boat is under constant surveillance, you can kiss your electronics good bye.

You are the poster child (prime candidate) to rent or lease. You should also seriously consider chartering with a captain who knows the waters. In the long run, you will be much happier, have no worries, lower costs, happier family, etc.

But hey the choice is yours.
Reel Love is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 09:29   #5

Boat: Condor Trimaran 30 foot

Reel love, that was a good honest reply. No sugar coating. Just straight up reality of what he is facing.
alansmith is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:05   #6

Boat: Homebuilt schooner 64 ft. Sold.

Quote:
Originally Posted by alansmith View Post
Reel love, that was a good honest reply. No sugar coating. Just straight up reality of what he is facing.
A bit too much hyperbole for me. An outboard boat is uninsurable in Florida ?? Electronics constantly self destruct?? A testament for not owning a boat at all.
captlloyd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 12:42   #7

Boat: C&C 27 Mk III

I don’t get where electronics self destructing but I heard they may go walk about if the boat isn’t being watched.
Old 07-11-2020, 12:51   #8

Boat: Catalina 36

I live on one of those beautiful little islands off the coast of Southwest Florida that you would like to cruise. 'Reel Love' gave you information that has taken many of us here, years to learn. Very good advice.
Catboat Willy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2020, 21:18   #9

Boat: CLC Skerry

Reel Love is really right. Buy an inexpensive small OB speedboat for the kids to use and keep it on the lift, and charter a properly sized and equipped vessel for your few family trips.
rhubstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-11-2020, 20:25   #10

Boat: Carver,Cobia,Nacra, Columbia

Check out a 26 or 27 foot SeaRay Sundancer or Regal. I know a single engine 268 Sundancer will fit nicely on your lift and meet your needs. Lots of them around, but if looking for used, go to GA and find one from a fresh water lake
flyingfin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-12-2020, 10:51   #11

You might look at a 22-25 ft C-Dory. They have an outboard(s), v-berth, and small cabin are with table that can be made a bed.
IronZebra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 02:17   #12

Real Love gave you some good advice,
Lots of luck with your canal home ,
Years ago I almost closed on a canal home in Cape Coral by Country Club , but moved too East coast Fla ,
20 years later the money I would have saved on marina fees ,
FREE HOUSE ,Cape Coral

Since Pandemic boats & RVs selling fast

Manufactures have been installing OBs on larger cruisers , so much easier too perform service , personally I think it looks not quite right ,
GO SHOPPING , you can buy a beach side condo for the price of that newer OB cruiser
Fla and water is a great place ,
DID YOU CONSIDER UP GRADING LIFT TOO HOLD LARGER BOAT ?
Here in FL market loaded with older cruisers , Sea Ray , many for a few grand needing re powering ,
My suggestion is walk slow , wait till your here , Lots of boats on market
Many from colder climates , move too Fl and find wife or kids don't enjoy ,
Summer heat can beat you up ,
Plenty of late 90 ies up small cuddy , OBs , You might find after a period of time that's all you need That dream of anchoring on hook in Fla summer , better have generator too run that a/ c .
If your still wanting that cruiser PM me , my 30 footer 2004 Regal cold air holds 6 , new engines luxury going on market after holidays ,

Good luck with your new life in FLA
Al B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-12-2020, 13:28   #13

So I got some grief on my post. But I stand by my post. And I have been a remote SF boat & house owner for the past 15 years.

So here's an update:

...unless the boat is under constant surveillance, you can kiss your electronics good bye. There is an ongoing problem in S FL with electronics being stolen off boats, even those in marina's are not immune. Thieves are known to travel up and down road, canals, wherever looking for unattended boats. They can and will strip you boat within minutes. Just ask your insurance broker. The electronics on my boat were stripped (and they were behind a locked panel) just months before I purchased her.

An outboard boat is uninsurable in Florida?
I wrote: "You may also learn that as an absentee owner, you will not be able to insure your boat." This is true too, please call your insurance broker before you buy anything.

Most insurers will require that you have a Hurricane plan, mine did (I live 1000 miles away from my boat). Also, if your home/marina is not both gated and under constant surveillance, many insurers will take a pass if you are absentee. Again, having been there and done that until I eventually was able to find an insurer. My boat is in a gated, locked marina. She is stored on a lift with the power off to the lift motors. I installed a 24/7 closed circuit TV monitoring the boat with an alarm on the boat.

And guest what? I still had stuff stolen. 3 years ago someone stole my kayak off the kayak rack while it was chained to the rack. Ice chests are fair game.

For those who are reading this post who do not live in S FL, you should know that theft in S FL is a regional sport.

Check out a 26 or 27 foot SeaRay Sundancer or Regal.
Good advice, but the SeaRay does not meet your stated requirements of: "enough room for my family of 4 (2 adults 2 teenagers) or able to be stored on your lift." The SeaRay is 8,000#+ wet, & a single screw IO boat. (I/O = inoperative.) Rarely are they A/C'd and no generator. Although it could meet your requirements, you would have to modify your lift, and install AC to use in the Keys. Also, you would have to have a plan to keep black mold from forming in the cabin. With the boat out of the water, the AC unit cannot run (no A/C anyway), so you may have to hope that a dehumidifier does the trick.

Anyway, anyone who has lived in S FL for any length of time will tell you stay away from an IO boat. In the summer it rains, everyday like clockwork. Rain water will make itself into the bilge. Then the sun comes out and it will get hot, really hot, really fast. That water will vaporize onto everything in the bilge, especially the motor. Within a few months, you will have rust for an engine. I know this from experience. In 1981, I found myself having to replace the starter on my Formula (I/O) every 60 days. The alternator was replaced 2x in one year. The steam just destroyed everything no matter what I did to stop it.

I am not trying to stop you from enjoying your new life. Cape Coral is beautiful. You should want to have a boat behind your home. I would urge you to consider a quality center console with 1 or 2 OB engines. A CC is self draining, OB powered, no cabin, and you can easily remove cushions to store in your home. You can take everything valuable off so thieves will leave you alone before you leave. And it will fit on your lift.

Good luck and best wishes to you.
Reel Love is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
florida, outboard