Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-10-2013, 11:54   #61

Re: Newbie with questions, I have a lot to learn, I know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Hi, Speedster,

It's a lot easier if you have a partner.

You're old enough to know this, so pls forgive me for offering advice, but it is a really good idea for you to everything you can to make it super fun for your good lady to get involved with sailing. I hope you know her well enough to know how to actualize that.

Jim and I were fortunate that I had already been "broken in" as a beginning sailor, so he didn't have to bring me along as crew starting from dead zero. That must be a somewhat daunting challenge.

I guess first, you're going to have to see if you like sailing, or just being on the water... Then some real hard looks at the money situation. Assume ten per cent per annum increase in cruising costs.

Ann
Thanks Ann, I will definitely try and make it fun for her. I threw the idea out there a couple of times and so far she seems receptive to the idea. We are just starting out in our relationship so we'll see how that goes.
SpeedsterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 12:44   #62

Do you get seasick? How about your lady?

About 2/3's of people get seasick offshore in moderately rough conditions. About 1/2 of those (1/3 of total) get it bad enough that they don't want to go offshore again (although protected waters can be OK). For most (but not all) the seasickness goes away after 3 days at sea - but it can be incapacitating in the meantime.

Seasickness is worst on slower power boats (roll more and more diesel fumes). On sailboats many feel that they don't get seasick on catamarans but a Navy study I once read said that some got sick with the quick motion of a cat while others get sick with the slower motion of a monohull.

Many folks with your dream found out after they got the boat that either they or their spouse just couldn't handle offshore conditions.
CarlF is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 13:02   #63

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Moody 31

This guy did quite well in a motor boat:

David Scott Cowper - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
Pete7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-10-2013, 13:56   #64

Boat: Catalina 30

Well, as you will be having the Mrs along I would say your choice of boat should be the one she likes the most after viewing many. Promising to name it after her seems to help.
Old 14-10-2013, 15:02   #65

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
Well, as you will be having the Mrs along I would say your choice of boat should be the one she likes the most after viewing many. Promising to name it after her seems to help.

Around here, you might see boats named after daughters (which never change over time) but not so much after wives or significant others (which might).

-Chris
Old 14-10-2013, 19:47   #66

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarlF View Post
Do you get seasick? How about your lady?

About 2/3's of people get seasick offshore in moderately rough conditions. About 1/2 of those (1/3 of total) get it bad enough that they don't want to go offshore again (although protected waters can be OK). For most (but not all) the seasickness goes away after 3 days at sea - but it can be incapacitating in the meantime.

Seasickness is worst on slower power boats (roll more and more diesel fumes). On sailboats many feel that they don't get seasick on catamarans but a Navy study I once read said that some got sick with the quick motion of a cat while others get sick with the slower motion of a monohull.

Many folks with your dream found out after they got the boat that either they or their spouse just couldn't handle offshore conditions.
I'm pretty sure that I don't easily get seasick. I have been on many cruises on both large and small ships and a few times in pretty rocky situations where many were getting sick and I felt fine. I have no idea how the girlfriend is or will be. So I am keeping my fingers crossed. Would hate to have to leave her onshore.

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Garbone View Post
She's just a girlfriend at this time but I have high hopes for this one.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ranger42c View Post
Around here, you might see boats named after daughters (which never change over time) but not so much after wives or significant others (which might).

-Chris
I am sure that many of you have thought about boat names before you ever bought a boat and I am no different. Even though I am at least 4 years from actually buying, I have always thought "BREANNA-BELLE" (daughters first name and mothers abbreviated first name) or "ISABELLA" (mom's first name and daughters middle name).
SpeedsterX is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 19:41   #67

Notre Dame has already been taken for a name...
Dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2013, 21:22   #68

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dudette View Post
Notre Dame has already been taken for a name...
Lennay is also taken...
Dudette is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2013, 08:41   #69

You and I are coming from exactly the same place. I am wanting to do exactly what you are wanting to do in 5 years as well. You are asking the same questions I have. Keep it up, you are saving me a lot of typing, lol. I think it is great that other members will take the time to answer our questions. It is extremely helpful. Hope to run into you the the Caribbean sometime in the future!