Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 01-07-2018, 06:25   #16

Boat: Island Packet 349
Re: Live aboard size

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwings View Post
These are Sea Ray Sundancers 98-2000 vintage.

Sizes, 37-39 foot and 40-45 foot.

So does any one have comments on these options?
Pre-2002 Searays commonly have hull delamination issues. All express cruisers in these size ranges will have limited storage for things like kayaks and bicycles. These boats are not desined for living aboard, their main purpose is to entertain a big crowd in the cockpit in a good weather. A 45 footer or larger may work, if one does not have a lot of stuff. Anything smaller is camping.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 06:29   #17

Boat: TBD

I get a sizable rent credit from the state for apt. rental.

While slip rental is less than half my rent I’m wondering if the marina owners have to give this notice. I’ll have to call and ask the tax man. Every little bit helps.
Bentwings is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 07:02   #18

Lost horizons
Yeah I discovered the volume size a while back between express cruisers and Sundancers. I had a chance to visit bothe side by side. Pretty remarkable. At the time I was more interested in the Sundancer. Now the Express would be better but they just are not available up here. You have a choice of waters ....lakes or the Ole’ MISS. There are only a few lakes with deep enough shore lines for bigger boats. Yes these are exactly as you noted...party boats. Many hardly ever leave the slip except to park with a floating raft of other boats.

Not my scene at all.

The big river is many miles long and suitable to “take it easy cruising”. I’ve been in the big race cars so speed doesn’t thrill me in the slightest.

Since I retired I’ve down sized everything. My “fleet” of cars expanded with purchase of a third car but each has a purpose. El Camino is the streetrod I use for the car cruises, the Buick RoadMaster station wagon is the SUV of the past, don’t let it fool you these have huge cargo capacity, sporty motor, and get prett good mpg plus ride on a cloud. The big truck can haul or pull anything I need plus it’s a diesel and gets well over 20 mpg. None of these are expensive pieces. All three combined are worth a good deal less than the first year depreciation of a new Chev suburban. Not to mention boat depreciation.

Anyway room in the boat is not a big deal. The 37-39 foot is slightly less but acceptable the 45 foot gets some more room and a couple features that help me. Dollars and cents will be the driver. There are limited live aboards. There is one comparable in the chosen marina. He lives alone with his dog too. More into parties however.

The bottom line is the difference between boat and house. I’m an engineer not a carpenter. I’d rather change oil and filter than cut grass and build a new deck or trim a tree. I’d rather break a little slip ice when it’s -20 than snow blower the side walk and plow the driveway.

Byron
Old 01-07-2018, 13:13   #19
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

Having laundry on board is a big plus. Especially when traveling, but even at your home dock. Pack your laundry to your car, find a laundry, kill a couple hours and then pack it all back. As compared to carrying your laundry to an on board washer and then doing something productive on the boat.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-07-2018, 15:35   #20

Laundry. That’s exactly what I thought. I went a step further looking into the cost of a new unit vs cost of going to the laundromat. How many wash and dry cycles would you have to do to pay for the new unit? Could I install it myself.?

Well, the units are over $1200 depending on size and operations. On a 37-39 foot you will have to give up some space somewhere and it needs to be fully enclosed. I can imagine it being a big project.

I wash and dry at least 6 loads of clothes and towels a week, just myself. If I had to go to the closest laurabdromat I could see $12 plus’s a gallon of gas a week. So call it $15 a week so less than two years recovery. Add a couple hundred for Misc. parts. Two year pay back. The washer/dryer becomes an asset.

The extra space and a few more drawers and hatches to store stuff would be really advantageous.

I looked in every opening on the 45 footer Sat and it was amazing how much boat stuff was stored below the floor. All were bone dry too.

Byron
Old 03-07-2018, 03:18   #21

It seems like you're set on Searay's and while they're great looking boats with a sporty look many love. I'd recommend at least looking at a few other styles. You might find them better suited to being a live aboard and less cave like. I really like what some call convertibles that are based on sport fisherman type boats. They're great for the 4 legged friends as they have a nice rear deck/cockpit for them to lay around. Some even have a transom door they can use to board themselves,the saloon is usually full of windows for natural light,the engines usually have good access and so on. Some company's also make aft cabin cabin cruisers that have a rear cabin with a ton of interior space instead of the large cockpit that also make great homes on the water that are at least worth looking at before signing the papers.
Almost-There is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2018, 17:08   #22

Yeah, I did look at aft cabins as an option. They do have more room and being enclosed offer possibly better winter conditions. They are more money in most cases.

I also looked at Maxum boats. Not made any more so the price is lower. I don’t like the interior year for year vs SR. Maxums have a close nit owners group from what I’ve been told. They are rarely traded or sold which is why you don’t see a lot of them. Of course their sales was less than SR year for year but you just don’t see a lot of them. Dedicated parts may be hard to come by.

I’ve scattered some looking around but I either don’t like what I see or I see big prices.

Thanks for the input.

Byron
Old 03-07-2018, 19:25   #23

I'm not sure where you're looking. But if it's just on the river chances are there's not much to choose from.

Don't be afraid to look elsewhere. A trip home with a delivery captain or experienced friend is a great way to learn about your new boat. It's also quite possible to save a bit of money too.

Anyway good luck
Old 03-07-2018, 19:47   #24

You are right there are few this vintage and size here or close by. Overland shipping is possible but the boat would have to be a steal.

I have expanded my search. There are a few other boats a greater distance from home. Since I’ll have to bring this one upstream about 100 miles and through 4-5 locks I plan on this being a nice weekend adventure.

500 more miles might be a nice vacation.

Byron
Old 04-07-2018, 21:22   #25

Boat: Island Packet 349

If you are retired and not keeping an apartment, why do you need to bring a boat to a predetermined location?
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2018, 21:35   #26

Of all places I’ve lived, I like it here. I grew up on the iron range. I do have family here....a sister that is like a second mother to me. Plus a couple adult kids. I have a unique part time job that funds all my extras and then some. How long this will last is hard to say. I’m getting older so at some point the work will stop. It’s really a low stress job with easy working conditions doing things I like to do. I even get to take my dog to work and get her out in the fields a few times per day. I wish I could say I’m getting rich but I’m not. It is good for the health outside of occasional cuts and bruises.

The boat will compliment the job. In the winter it still will be a challenge but the ability to get exercise right at home will be valuable. Just having my own place will be worth it.

Yeah, I could get a home and a little land but that’s not me.

Byron
Old 09-07-2018, 08:46   #27

I really think expanding your search area will pay off. While not cheap transport costs might be less than you think. Although a few feet can also make it exponentially more expensive. So definitely keep that in mind.
Old 09-07-2018, 11:36   #28
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Wheeler Shipyard 83' ex USCG

On a washer - Splendie makes a compact washer/dryer in one unit. Not the condensing kind, but a conventional dryer. You set the controls for both and after washing it starts drying the clothes. The only issues are thick clothing items (like blue jeans or a jacket) don't dry throughout in one pass and you have smaller loads than a house sized unit. But the front loader cleans much better than any top loader I ever used.
Lepke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2018, 12:23   #29

Boat: Oops -jumped the gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
Pre-2002 Searays commonly have hull delamination issues. All express cruisers in these size ranges will have limited storage for things like kayaks and bicycles. These boats are not desined for living aboard, their main purpose is to entertain a big crowd in the cockpit in a good weather. A 45 footer or larger may work, if one does not have a lot of stuff. Anything smaller is camping.
Not just Sea Rays. It seems many lower priced Cruisers Inc or Regal I inquire about has wet stringers or delamination issues.
Old 09-07-2018, 12:29   #30

Boat: Oops -jumped the gun

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bentwings View Post
You are right there are few this vintage and size here or close by. Overland shipping is possible but the boat would have to be a steal.

I have expanded my search. There are a few other boats a greater distance from home. Since I’ll have to bring this one upstream about 100 miles and through 4-5 locks I plan on this being a nice weekend adventure.

500 more miles might be a nice vacation.

Byron
I know shipping large boats must be a common thing, obviously new boats would never make it to the various markets to be sold.

But, I've been pricing the cost of moving moderate sized motoryachts anywhere from 500-1500 miles and I'm a bit surprised at how high the quotes have been. Moving a 16000 lb. object 1000 miles for $5000 just strikes me a high. Maybe it's not and it's my perception that's wrong.

Good luck in any case.

Tags
size