Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-09-2022, 08:11   #1

Hatteras VS Carver

Hi Fellow Crusiers, My wife and I have been looking for a motor yacht for about a year. Taking our time and making sure all the T's are crossed and i's are dotted. We have settled on a 48 - 53' double cabin, either a newer carver 1998- 2003 or a older Hatteras 1980 - 1990. We love the look of both. Carver has a more updated modern interior. Where as Hatteras has a more elegant, nostalgic appearance. Price wise it is fairly close. We would probably get into the Hatteras at a little lower cost. We would like some feed back from fellow crusiers on what your thoughts may be. Also, if we were to go the Carver route what engine stands out as far as dependability. We do love the durability of the 6-71 or 8-71 on the hatteras. Thank you!
Shear Pleasure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 11:47   #2

Boat: 58' Sedan Bridge
Re: Hatteras VS Carver

These aren't easily comparable.

The Hatteras is probably a heavier/sturdier built hull. I suspect Hatts from those years will have 12/24/32VDC systems and 120/240VAC systems. 32VDC puts me off a bit... but you may not care. Factoids available on the Sam's Marine website, if you haven't check that out yet.

I dunno if the Carver hull is cored, solid under the waterline, etc... but if that stuff matters to you, you could learn that from somebody who knows Carvers. Or from Carver direct, for that matter.

When we were shopping recently, I was never able to come to terms with the Carver windshields; both bridge and lower windshields were angled so much I didn't feel like I could get a good view ahead. And then there wasn't much room for MFD screen real estate. One model had a couple MFDs mounted overhead, but I didn't find that useful...

-Chris
Old 12-09-2022, 11:52   #3

Apples and Oranges.

Completely different classes of boats, completely different quality of build, very different years.

Hatteras built like tanks.
Shrew is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 12:39   #4

As noted, these two boats are so vastly different it would be helpful to understand your plans. For a floating condo that won't move much it's not really a big deal...there are a handful of liveaboards who never even fire their engines at my Marina who love their Carvers. If you plan to actually cruise any meaningful distance and/or do ocean work then things change in favor of the better build etc
JEB
Jebtrois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2022, 14:02   #5

Boat: Riva 48

Given the age of the boats you are considering, the only thing that matters (other than the interior which is very personal) is the age and condition of the engines. The engines and the associated maintenance cost will determine how much joy you will get from the boat. I would always choose the Hatteras if the condition of the engines was similar.
Pizzazz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2022, 07:47   #6

Boat: Jeanneau SO 389

Two of my favourite brands. Hard decisions buy a Tiara instead or a Favourite 1700 instead. Kidding.
I’d pick the carver but they are both tough to repower either should the need arise.
How about a Delhi Electric Yacht? The Picnic from Hinckley. Stay tuned for a Yamaha powered Hydrogen Toyota Yacht!?
See Carver it’s easy.
Rumrace is offline   Reply With Quote