Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 25-04-2008, 20:49   #1

1968 41' Hatteras?

41 foot hatteras classic liveabord better and cheaper than renting an

I have been in communication with the seller, its called the "Nomad" and moored in Key West, I wasn't willing to commit myself financially right now because i wanted to make a bester stance of talking with "cash in hand" than trying to be a dreamer and tirekicker, he wants $10K down and is willing to finance with no interest the selling price is $25,000, coincidentally he has also worked here in Alaska where I am, now I have a good feeling about this boat even sight unseen and I have been told overall its in very good condition, needs some interior finish work he says. Unknown what the engines are at this point, I'm guessing they are 8v53 Detroits.-

From what I gather and I'm totally green at this other than the fact I've been a diesel mechanic and licensed for Detroits that the Hatteras was build very well overall and rugged, have good resale value and used higher end equipment, anybody care to chime in if they have owned or worked on one? I am trying to educate my reason over impulsiveness and also I'm willing to commit to this sight unseen, I'm in Alaska its in Key West Florida, and no I have absolutely no intention of it ever coming here, I want to live on it during the winter, to me I would rather not need to cruise unless it was a better mooring area or in emergency.
Silverado6x6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-04-2008, 02:47   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Hatteras was noted for building good quality, and reasonably priced motor yachts and sport fishers.
For the most part, Hatteras built balsa cored boats. In earlier years, up through about 1980, the hulls were solid glass, and then cored hull sides appeared. Decks and house tops have always been balsa cored.
On the other hand, Hatteras has always painted their boats, and sometimes used low quality gelcoats, that are prone to blistering, as well as lower quality resins.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-05-2008, 17:38   #3

Boat: Hatteras, Motor Yacht, 41, Loose Change
I have owned and maintained a 1965 41 Hatteras for 26 years. If you care to email me directly I will be glad to fill you in the pros and cons of these boats.
Randerso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-05-2008, 07:45   #4

This forum has some very educated people in it and a fair amount of those seeking advice from said, I would rather share comments publicly, my interests in buying a Hatteras has expanded recently from other sources, for an older power boat they were heavily and well built, they were pioneers in one piece fiberglass hulls and they survive to this very day while many others have fallen by the way side. I have yet to be convinced of getting into a sailboat, I prefer lots of space, maybe room for a jacuzzi, definitely a wide screen TV so my search has been into large motor yachts, of these the Hats though more expensive have a better value in their later years.

About the original posting here of this 1968 41C its down in Key West, the owner has re-engined it with 96hp Perkins, has gutted a lot of the interior and has given me the impression it requires a lot more work, I would buy it and can right now as I went to my credit bureau and they were willing to go the whole way on it, but I have also seen a market thats got a lot of powerboats for sale now, many owners are afraid of the fuel getting so expensive its costing them hundreds of dollars per hour, but for a dock queen its a buyers market, one could hope for cheaper fuel, or one could live where fuel is cheaper. Or one could use less fuel in the first place.

Myself I know zip and nada about sailing or the care of a sailboat, and if I bought one at a steal of a deal I may just strip the rigging and store it. But then again I'm 51 and I may get the sailing bug.
Old 28-05-2008, 07:25   #5

Boat: 41' Viking Sportfish - "Eidolon"
I've bought and sold boats for 15 years (Currently on a 1985 41' Viking), and I would strongly - very strongly - advise you to get on this boat with a flashlight and check every corner and every system. I've seen people get burned many times. Also, 96hp Perkins? Is that a typo? I'm not sure that would even push a 41' Hatteras off the dock in a strong wind... That seems grossly underpowered.

Anyways, keep us posted on how it goes, I would be interested in hearing how it goes. Best of luck.
Old 28-05-2008, 09:04   #6

Boat: Prout Manta 38' Catamaran - Sunspot Baby
I can't imagine buying any boat sight unseen. Do you have a friend or contact in the area that could at least preview it for you and email some pictures?

I am generally considered a risk taker, but this too much risk of throwing away your hard earned $$.

George
Bob Seger
Sunspot Baby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 09:47   #7

Boat: 44 footer
For you guys with Hatteras. I'm down the road from High point and have been doing some digging to find their local suppliers. A few of these may come in handy:

These guys made/make a lot of the cast bronze parts on your boats, they might still have the molds laying around from the originals... shaft struts, under water fittings and the like.

Southeastern Foundries Corporation
2706 Oakland Ave
Greensboro, NC 27403

Get Directions(336) 299-7211

---
GMACX INC (formerly Key Marine) made the exhaust systems and deck hardware from 1960 to the mid-90's. 305-279-5759

---
Slane Marine in Highpoint, NC is run by the son of the guy that started Hatteras. Slane Marine, Inc

The old Hatteras Factory in Highpoint is still standing, though no longer used for production. A fellow I know leased one of the out buildings to build some strip planked boats, and reports that a few of the old glass guys still come by. (Can neither confirm nor deny if the old molds are still around...)

---

Sam's Marine International These guys are worth a call to ask about the boat/finding any part you need for an old Hatteras. They are true Hatteras nuts. They also have a forum: Hatteras Owners Forum & Gallery - Powered by vBulletin

---

Good luck! I can only say that its smarter to buy an old Hatteras than an old wood boat... Get a survey on the boat, your OWN... not the sellers. Hire a SAMS or NAMS accredited surveyor before you do anything. Do not even think about buying it sight unseen. You will need a survey for insurance anyway. Call around the local marinas that look out over the anchorage and ask how long its been there. 3 years + and it'll have its own ecosystem growing on the bottom. Ask if it has sunk... Why is the interior missing, water damage? Is that why it was repowered... if she filled up with salt water, was she rewired? If not she has 40 year old wiring anyway...

I would not finance a boat project. 41 feet is a lot of boat, and a lot of systems to go through. If you have the time and money, you can fix anything... but do your self a favor and buy the best condition you can, even if it means going for a smaller boat.

Zach
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 14:35   #8
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: MaineCat Catamaran 41'
Send a message via Skype™ to TabbyCat
Is it the Twin Cabin or the Convertible model? Either way, if it's in "good" condition, it would be worth considerably more than $25,000, according to Buc Book. I would hesitate to purchase a vessel valued considerably less than the fair market price without seeing it in person.

By the way, if you want hull insurance for a vessel of that age in Florida, you'll need a condition & valuation survey BEFORE you can get a quote.
Old 28-05-2008, 14:42   #9

It won't be worth considerably more than $25k with 96 hp Perkins engines and gutted, you can't even call it a Hatteras without the original engines or interior. Depending on what is in there and what has been done, it may be a real POS and not worth taking, even for free.
Brian
amarinesurveyor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 14:49   #10
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Value of Hatteras

I agree with you. I said if it was in GOOD condition. (Which I doubt it is, at that price!) He needs the opinion of a qualified marine surveyor before he takes the leap. Perhaps you know one?
Old 28-05-2008, 14:53   #11

Boat: Hatteras, Motor Yacht, 41, Loose Change
There is no way you are going to want to buy hull insurance for this boat in Florida - if you could even get it. I have had a 1965 double cabin Hat insured in Florida for 26 years. The boat is in better than new condition in all ways. With $60,000 in hull coverage my deductable during a storm event is higher than the cost of the boat you are considering. You don't want to know what the premium is.
Randerso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2008, 15:22   #12
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Randerso, your standard deductible on your Hatteras was probably 2% of your hull value and it doubled to 4% during named storms. That's pretty normal for Florida. However, Silverado6x6 is not looking to spend $60,000 - only $25,000 so his premium would be significantly less than what you paid, and his windstorm deductible would be $1,000 at 4%. (This all assumes he can find an acceptable boat for $25,000, and I think we agree that this boat is probably not it).
Old 28-05-2008, 17:13   #13

Boat: 44 footer
I'd say that insurance wise even if he buys it at a discount, its worth insuring at a replacement value if possible. If it turns out its a cherry (it is an old boat, but miracles happen!) and happens to lose it the chances of finding another with the same price tag are slim. Difference between price and value... Price is what ya pay, values what its worth when you need to replace it.
Zach is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-05-2008, 02:43   #14

Thanks everyone for the advice, I thought this thread of mine died and I see a lot of replies! anyway just an update, I gave up on buying a boat pretty much altogether, the economy is hurting me too much financially and the price of fuel in the future also has given me thoughts so I am giving up, maybe I will get a sailboat but not this year.