Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-01-2013, 14:08   #76
cruiser

Boat: O'day 32 CC Ketch
Re: Completely Overwhelmed

I dont think there are any nay-sayers here just a bunch of actual boaters who are offering very real advice. If you had a clue you wouldnt be here trying to figure ths stuff out. You cant have it all in a boat unless you have millions. You want a huge boat but dont understand the fuel burn issues. Most here are sailors because they love to sail, and or couldnt cross oceans because fuel burn would prohibit it. If I had millions I would travel in a quad engine 100' scarb going 85 mph everywhere, I love speed, thats my style. But the reality is a 32' sailboat. What you want and what works are two different things. Boats are not houses, boats are cramped and small.
RabidRabbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 14:15   #77

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
My boats small and cramped ... a Haterrass 65 is definitely NOT...
Add 4 kids...and your Mother...getting tighter?
Greggegner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 14:19   #78

Boat: Mac 26X
I'm glad GG is back...but really, this isn't a serious request for info and advice, it's a request for encouragement.

GG, you asked for advice, but never answered the single most important question, BUDGET! If you're flush, and money is "no object", you can do anything. I don't know anyone actually like that who would ask for advice on this forum tough. Sooooooo ALL of us want to know...what are you willing to spend? If you said $1 million, plus maintenance and processional crew, all the "nay Sayers" would shut up :-) but I don't think that's your budget or you'd say so.

If you're thinking you can buy a boat for say $25K, ready to go, and comfortable for your non-boating family, you're being naive, and these guys are just trying to tell you that.

Really this has been a very "nice" thread, Sooooooo many people start these threads that many just don't try to be nice anymore, which is sad, good job all :-)
Old 19-01-2013, 14:29   #79
cruiser

What Gordo said is spot on. Best post yet. I doubt theres a sailor here who wouldnt want a larger budget for some aspect of boating. Bigger boat, better gear, being able to take off for a couple years, spend more time at dock, even just a 2 weeker in the summer, whatever it is most boaters would be happy with a bigger budget.
Old 19-01-2013, 14:34   #80

Quote:
Originally Posted by RabidRabbit View Post
I dont think there are any nay-sayers here just a bunch of actual boaters who are offering very real advice. If you had a clue you wouldnt be here trying to figure ths stuff out. You cant have it all in a boat unless you have millions. You want a huge boat but dont understand the fuel burn issues. Most here are sailors because they love to sail, and or couldnt cross oceans because fuel burn would prohibit it. If I had millions I would travel in a quad engine 100' scarb going 85 mph everywhere, I love speed, thats my style. But the reality is a 32' sailboat. What you want and what works are two different things. Boats are not houses, boats are cramped and small.
I am getting much more than very real advice. I pretty much had some folks here just short of calling me a liar.

I think I have a fairly good understanding that fuel is expensive, just because you can't afford it, doesn't mean that I can't.
I would also have a superdupermega yacht if I had that kind of money. A 32' sailboat might be your reality, but my reality is a 65' Hat or maybe a Choeoy Lee....and...like it or not, I can afford the fuel, maintenance, docking etc, etc, etc.............
GalaxyGirl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 14:39   #81

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 43 & S2 6.9

Hey GG, I don't think you should take such offense to some of the comments. After all, you said originally you were overwhelmed and having trouble and seeking advice. I think it's reasonable for people to comment about the various costs a 65' boat will have with it. Clearly budget is not an issue for you but you never really stated that until the more recent posts.

I also think you'd have had different responses if you were talking about living in a warmer climate vs living in Boston winters. As you said, the people you have talked to are on smaller boats. Do you know if they are living aboard because they love it or if its because its what they can afford right now?

If you have a crew to maintain the boat when things start freezing, then I think it could be a lot of fun - but I know I wouldn't want to deal with freezing temps and water..etc on deck on a huge boat like that myself now or when I was a kid. That would not be fun in my opinion - perhaps you'll love it, who knows?

Good luck though and happy shopping.
maytrix is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 14:46   #82
cruiser

Maybe you can, but it appears that you dont have the insight just yet to make that call. Non boat owners dont realize that boats require far work,repairs, and maintence than houses or cars. Landlubbers tend to see the price of a vessel and marina costs, and then try squeek out the biggest one they can get.
Old 19-01-2013, 15:19   #83

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElGatoGordo View Post
I'm glad GG is back...but really, this isn't a serious request for info and advice, it's a request for encouragement.

GG, you asked for advice, but never answered the single most important question, BUDGET! If you're flush, and money is "no object", you can do anything. I don't know anyone actually like that who would ask for advice on this forum tough. Sooooooo ALL of us want to know...what are you willing to spend? If you said $1 million, plus maintenance and processional crew, all the "nay Sayers" would shut up :-) but I don't think that's your budget or you'd say so.

If you're thinking you can buy a boat for say $25K, ready to go, and comfortable for your non-boating family, you're being naive, and these guys are just trying to tell you that.

Really this has been a very "nice" thread, Sooooooo many people start these threads that many just don't try to be nice anymore, which is sad, good job all :-)
I was so busy defending myself that I wasn't able to answer the budget question.

No one here gets paid to post folks. It's really not that serious and there are tons of other post to read and respond to. If you don't like my post, just ignore it. If you feel that there are too many dreamers out there posting, too bad for you. This is a public forum AND a free country, so anyone can post dreams, reality or otherwise and if you don't like it, start a password protected forum and only invite your naysayer friends to join and you can all glout together.
Old 19-01-2013, 15:34   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by maytrix View Post
Hey GG, I don't think you should take such offense to some of the comments. After all, you said originally you were overwhelmed and having trouble and seeking advice. I think it's reasonable for people to comment about the various costs a 65' boat will have with it. Clearly budget is not an issue for you but you never really stated that until the more recent posts.

I also think you'd have had different responses if you were talking about living in a warmer climate vs living in Boston winters. As you said, the people you have talked to are on smaller boats. Do you know if they are living aboard because they love it or if its because its what they can afford right now?

If you have a crew to maintain the boat when things start freezing, then I think it could be a lot of fun - but I know I wouldn't want to deal with freezing temps and water..etc on deck on a huge boat like that myself now or when I was a kid. That would not be fun in my opinion - perhaps you'll love it, who knows?

Good luck though and happy shopping.
Your right, I did say I was overwhelmed and very confused and I still am. Not because I need help deciding where to live or IF I should buy a boat and liveaboard, but because I can't figure out which boat I should buy. There are so many choices and options and what one boat does, the other doesn't do and so on and so forth.
I wanted to live on a boat since I was a kid. I bought a house on the water at one time, but it's just not the same.
I have been way to busy for years building my career to even take a vacation, let alone buy a boat and enjoy it, but I am now at a point in my life where I am secure and able to do whatever I choose and this is what I choose to do. Finally, to get a liveaboard and be able to do some travelling and eventually become a full-time cruiser. I figure that I will cruise full-time in just about 5 years, when my oldest son is off to college.
I was trying to see if anyone could help me sort through some of the choices and answer some questions that I wasn't sure about. Previous threads that I have posted have helped me get some narrowing down and I was looking to see what other info I might be able to get from a thread.
Some of you are very helpful, pointing out things that I didn't realize, and I thank you for that, but some of you are just forum bullys. Probably unhappy with your own life, so your nasty to others to make yourself feel better.
Old 19-01-2013, 15:40   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcarling View Post
Go GalaxyGirl! Don't let the naysayers here get to you. You're quite right that you shouldn't have to explain here why you want a boat. Unfortunately, some here seem to think that everyone else should live as they do, which of course is a problem not unique to this forum.

Don't listen to the advice to get a tiny boat. You know how much space you and your children need. They don't. Live your dream and don't worry about the people who are in a funk because they can't afford to live your dream (and perhaps not their own).

I suggest that you consider studying the RYA Day Skipper Theory course. You can do it online. After you have some sailing experience with the professional captain, you might want to take the RYA Day Skipper Practical course. It's about five days and there are a few sailing schools in the NE area which offer it.
Thanks for the advice. I have actually looked into some of these courses and planned on taking a few this summer.
Old 19-01-2013, 15:44   #86

So, the big question was budget. I would like to be somewhere under $500k. I have been considering several different 65' Hats and a few Choey Lee's. The Power Cat is a very nice suggestion, I will definately have to see one in person to compare the space.
Old 19-01-2013, 15:44   #87

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl

I've been in the real estate investment business for over 13 years and I've NEVER had as much confusion buying a house as I am having with choosing a potential boat. I'm very frustrated at this point. There are so many variables and maybe too many choices. One discovery leads to more research which then leads to another discovery and I feel like I could spend another 3 years on research without ever having viewed a damn thing. I wish that I had the luxury of buying small amd upgrading with experience to learn my real needs, but I just don't. The reality is that I need to purchase a boat as a liveaboard at a marina for a while and I have 5 kids. I do have a small condo that we will also use, but neither full time. I don't want to choose the wrong boat, but there are just so many variables.
I can't even figure out what I should be looking at. I have been at this since the summer. Every time I narrow it down somewhat, I realize that I have missed something or wrong about something. I must be doing something wrong here. There has to be a better way to figure this out. Maybe I need the assistance of a yacht broker. I have spoken to a few, but it seems that they just push what they are trying to sell, not necessarily what I need.
I know that I am going to do this come hell or high water, even if it means purchasing the wrong boat, but it sure would be nice to get the right one. We are so excited about the lifestyle and I am eager to sell my house to achieve it, but I don't want to do that until I have found the boat.
The forums bring both support and naysay, but mostly a bunch of different opinion, which is great. That's what I need, but sometimes, that too brings more confusion, when one person says yes you can, while the other is saying your nuts.
Besides, upgrading with time, has anyone been in a similar situation starting with no experience. How did you decide?
You are correct... Too many choices.. Please take a read to the rationale as why too many choices poses problems:
http://www.biopsychiatry.com/happiness/choice.html
Greatketch33 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 16:19   #88

Boat: too many

Quote:
Originally Posted by GalaxyGirl View Post
So, the big question was budget. I would like to be somewhere under $500k. I have been considering several different 65' Hats and a few Choey Lee's. The Power Cat is a very nice suggestion, I will definately have to see one in person to compare the space.
The staterooms of a power cat are quite isolated from each other, good for sanity. The other reason (besides the low fuel consumption and not needing flopper stoppers at anchor or stabilizers underway) is being a more modern vessel, you will have current and efficient diesels. Those old Hats your looking at are priced below market for their size for a reason, the engines are Detroit Diesel 2 strokes, not more fuel efficient 4 strokes and parts can be getting scarce because I don't think DD has made a 2 stroke diesel for 20 years.

Is this the kind of input you are looking for?
deckofficer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 16:33   #89

The catamaran is a good suggestion. If I needed that much space and was constrained by a $500K budget, I would look at catamarans. If the budget were less constrained, I would go for a 24m (78') custom trimaran with folding amas. (Licensing gets complicated above 24m.)

I have no idea how you feel about the environment, GalaxyGirl, but 2-stroke engines have atrocious emissions, which is the main reason why they haven't been made for decades.
mcarling is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-01-2013, 16:35   #90

Quote:
Originally Posted by deckofficer View Post
The staterooms of a power cat are quite isolated from each other, good for sanity. The other reason (besides the low fuel consumption and not needing flopper stoppers at anchor or stabilizers underway) is being a more modern vessel, you will have current and efficient diesels. Those old Hats your looking at are priced below market for their size for a reason, the engines are Detroit Diesel 2 strokes, not more fuel efficient 4 strokes and parts can be getting scarce because I don't think DD has made a 2 stroke diesel for 20 years.

Is this the kind of input you are looking for?
Yes, it is. Thank you.

Tags
paracelle