Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 11-04-2021, 22:42   #1

Buying an old boat

Hi there, I’m about to buy an older boat, 1969 , 40’ trawler, power boat. The boat wasn’t updated since then, all electronics , furniture, appliances, basically everything is original. Engines are over 4500 hours each. The boat has no gen, no solar, no dinghy. Fiberglass hull and decks looks good though. Survey of 3 years ago didn’t mention any major issue. I know it’s not fair to price a boat by writing only, but I was wondering if anyone can tell me what would be a reasonable price for such boat in Canada ? It doesn’t have to be exact...I’m looking for ballpark to see my range. Thank you
Moretolife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-04-2021, 03:46   #2

Re: Buying an old boat

Check the Sold Boats website at: http://www.soldboats.com to see what that brand/length has been selling for.

A 1969 trawler that hasn't been updated in any way may turn out to be a huge "bargain" headache.

Do you want a project boat that you're going to refit? Or do you want to be able to use the boat right away?

Check out boatpoker's user profile, follow the links to his website and have a look at the lovely refit he and his wife did on their cabincruiser - and also pay attention to how long it took them.

Good luck!
LittleWing77

P.S. If you're anywhere near Ontario, perhaps get boatpoker to conduct a current survey so you'd have a better idea of what you'd be getting into...
LittleWing77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
boat, buying