Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-07-2011, 07:37   #1

Boat: Catamaran Cruisers Aqua Cruiser 41
Kit-Cats

I never heard of this brand before. They sell kits which can be modified or even designed by you and put together by a builder they have a relationship with.

These are good sized power Cats which are powered by outboard motors and are very lightweight. Thus they claim pretty good gas mileage, speed, and an amazingly shallow draft of 22 to 24 inches.

For what I want to do, cruise FL/Bahamas/ and my local area NW of Tampa, the boats sound near perfect.

HAS ANYONE: Had any experience with these boats? Heard anything good or bad? Know of alternatives boats with similar attributes????

Thanks in advance for your responses.

Link to their website:

Powerboats

Here is a completed one for sale:

Power Catamarans
dc9loser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-07-2011, 08:26   #2

Re: Kit-Cats

better link to a Kit Cat for sale:

Catamaran 2006 Catamaran Catamaran For Sale
Old 31-07-2011, 13:50   #3

Another for sale... weird windows otherwise...

http://www.yachtworld.com/core/listi...url=&imc=pg-fs
Old 31-07-2011, 15:22   #4

Boat: 50' Cat (someday) ok maybe 45' Cat

I cant tell if these guys are 20 years ahead of their time or 30 years behind. They look kinda old but in a modern, cool way. Do you plan on building or buying one? Check these guys out too:
Schionning Designs -
Old 31-07-2011, 22:23   #5

Yeah, I kinda love the outboards. Modern outboards are very efficient, not as good as modern diesels, but I suspect might be close to an older diesel. The jackplates and outboards allow ya to gunk hole around without worrying too much.

The outboards are also very quiet, clean, and don't take up any room inside the boat.

These boats claim to be super light weight and thus have the class leading draft of 22 inches to 24 inches. That is important around here.

The part I don't like is the rough looking finish and whatnot. BUT, if these are strong and seaworthy they might be worth looking at.
Old 05-08-2011, 19:19   #6

I got a hold of the manufacturer:

"At this time, we have just destroyed the boat molds, and are getting ready to introduce a new design. But to answer your question, the basic boat has been costing around $15,000.00 per running foot. The new one will most likely be about the same price, but with better sea keeping abilities."

Interesting to see what they come up with. There has to be a market for an efficient/shallow draft power cat, as I know I want one and can pay for one too.

Schionning Designs - nice boats. That Sea Shanty is a very interesting concept. Remind me an Endeavor 48 on steroids.
Old 25-08-2011, 12:22   #7

Boat: Olson 40

Wow! $600K for a 40 footer!

I won't broadcast the names and prices I got when shopping recent designs all over the planet, but this is very high. Its not fair to directly compare because I only understand what is in our designs, not what is in Kit Cat's designs.

Nevertheless, the cost of boats is poorly correlated with length, rather better correlated with displacement. Actually, builders seem to use functions for the structural hull and deck that are based on material, process, displacement, and then add the price of the stuff. On a crude scale for powerboats, the fully fitted cost is usually around $25 per pound, including international marketing, sales, inventory, production overhead. For custom boats, one gets rid of those very expensive costs (about 40% of the total, or maybe $10 per pound) but then one needs to add in the cost of design (negotiated, sometimes time and material, sometimes fixed fee, sometimes 5 to 10% of the total build cost) and the cost of the one-off deck and hull molds (insignificant -- think $5K for a 50 footer).

I have seen pricing based on weight x material being about $8 to $10 per pound for one off foam/fiberglass/vinylester/awlgrip to mirror finish (hand layup but vacuum bagged). This is from some of the world's best boat builders worldwide, including in California. That price is not based on ugly boxy or developable surfaces, but on extravagantly anything goes shapes. Then add whatever junk you want for the total price.

Hence, a custom one-off with truly beautiful design and styling, built by a world class builder of low maintenance, long life materials, with super high finish quality, and pretty nice equipment too, should come in at about $17 per pound.

For a 40 footer, that should be an awful lot cheaper than $15K per foot unless its so over equipped, over powered, and over built as to be the kind of boat you REALLY don't want to own. Maybe lust after, maybe buy, but not own or use. A Hinckley, for example.

I understand why a builder would want to go for that market -- people who spend it like they stole it (and probably did) -- but I can't understand why a rational boat buyer would go for it.
u4ea32 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-08-2011, 18:20   #8

Yeah, I thought that was pretty high for a crude looking boat too.
Old 29-08-2011, 05:49   #9

I've been onboard 2 power Kit-Cats including the 2006 mentioned earlier and an older flybridge version with a smaller cabin. I liked them both becasue they appered easy to maintain cosmetically and because the outboards would be good for the Bahamas and Keys. I visited their operation in Merrit Island and was impressed. They build airplanes and appear to know what they are doing in terms of fabrication. I would hesitate to cruise on one and at the right price (a lot less than the 2006) I would buy one.

Has anyone built, owned or been on one of the Schionning Design power cats? Does anyone build them in the US?
Epiphany is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-02-2012, 14:32   #10
Marine Service Provider

Location: Floating around, usually somewhere between Miami & Key West
Boat: Kit Cat

I've owned a Kit Cat for the last 4 years and cannot say enough good things about my boat. Mine is the power/sail cat. I repowered her in'09 w/ twin Evinrude 115's. She can power at up to 20knots and can sail at 7kts. Because of the 2' draft she is the perfect Keys/ Bahamas boat. We are always cruising those waters. Built w/ all aviation grade materials, there is not a stress crack anywhere on the vessel. She turns a lot of heads whenever we are running a 40' sailing cat on up on a plane. The only negative thing I can say about my boat is that she doesn't sail into the wind well.
double exposure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2012, 13:55   #11
Marine Service Provider

Here is a video clip of my Kit Cat.

Old 13-05-2012, 14:06   #12

Boat: 30ft Catalac 900 "Rubessa"

I always thought they were chocolate biscuits.....
Old 15-07-2012, 15:26   #13
Marine Service Provider

Double Exposure - Sailing cat powered by twin 115 Evinrude E-tecs Cruisers & Sailing Photo Gallery