Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > Powered Boats
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 28-11-2015, 15:06   #31

Boat: Catalina 387
Re: Asleep at the wheel

Did you/PO 'burp' the fresh water side after changing coolant? There's often a bolt on the thermostat housing to allow you to bleed the air out of the engine when adding coolant.

(Raw water engines don't matter)
jeepbluetj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-11-2015, 23:21   #32

Boat: Nauta 54' by Scott Kaufman/S&S - 1989

I fine it less then educational, that people start up a post like this without having first got the hands dirty on engine.

Start opening checking examining parts, and only then open a thread like this.

Forcing people to guesstimate is inappropriate.
TheThunderbird is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 00:25   #33

If you paid 10K, you overpaid by 9K.
These things are not worth much without at least diesel engines.
If you can, return it, and if he will not take it back, sue him.
sailnow2011 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 04:56   #34

Boat: Catalina 27

To Thunderbird... Sorry to have inconvenienced you. I did receive quite a bit of value from these folks and am not much of a mechanic. I am a fishing fool and found a boat I thought my wife might enjoy along with me. I was wanting an education and received one. If I took valuable time away from your busy life, my apologies.

To sailnow... Aw... Forget it... Not worth my time

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Klamathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 05:57   #35

Boat: advance 33 cabriolet

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sparler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 06:36   #36

Boat: 35' Pearson sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by LakeSuperior View Post
You don't know what you are talking about. A well maintained older engine actually has some advantages over the newer stuff. I don't have to hire a mechanic to work on the older engines for example.
your opinion, in my opinion which includes many years of Grand Banks level, offshore, (several days out), I still think they are better anchors. also you can't hire mechanics that far out so you need reliability!
lesterbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 07:02   #37

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverd0n View Post
Possible? Of course. Does it matter? Probably not.

I guess you could ask him. You could even sue him, if you want, but your odds of winning are minuscule at best.

Good luck, whatever you do.
And attorney fees will chew thru $10K in a hurry. If you lose, then you could easily turn a $10K problem into a $30K one.

People in the USA are too prone to sue. The only thing you know for sure about legal action is that attornies will make money.

And, in court, what matters most is what was written. You did have a sales contract right? What does it say about explicit or implied warranty?
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 07:11   #38

Boat: Catalina 27

Guys... I'm busting a gut over here. I don't think I have a $10k problem. I would bet I don't even have a $1k problem. And, as I mentioned earlier, I am not the least bit interested in suing.

On another note... If an engine has an enclosed fresh water cooling system does it also have a system that draws raw water as well? This talk of impellers is confusing. Although someone asked about a radiator and it got me wondering how the water gets cooled... Does the raw water cool the enclosed system?

Klamathman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 07:35   #39

Boat: Alberg #0

Yes. Exactly.

Sent from my SM-G925T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
pickpaul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 08:36   #40

Boat: ‘01 Catana 401

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klamathman View Post
Guys... I'm busting a gut over here. I don't think I have a $10k problem. I would bet I don't even have a $1k problem. And, as I mentioned earlier, I am not the least bit interested in suing.

On another note... If an engine has an enclosed fresh water cooling system does it also have a system that draws raw water as well? This talk of impellers is confusing. Although someone asked about a radiator and it got me wondering how the water gets cooled... Does the raw water cool the enclosed system?

Yes, raw water cools the antifreeze through a heat exchanger (very much like a water cooled radiator). As well as cooling the exhaust. Is your exhaust above the waterline or through the drive leg? Are your risers clear to allow water flow? Is the raw water pump on the engine or in the drive leg?

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Sailmonkey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 09:25   #41

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran

Quote:
Originally Posted by TheThunderbird View Post
I fine it less then educational, that people start up a post like this without having first got the hands dirty on engine.

Start opening checking examining parts, and only then open a thread like this.

Forcing people to guesstimate is inappropriate.
I can't speak for everyone here, but I wasn't "forced to guesstimate".

Here's a photo of a typical fresh water cooled boat engine.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 10:31   #42

Location: Mountains south of Campo. South East of TKT in Baja.
Boat: 45 ft., Leopard

I am an old dirt farmer. Spent a life time working with, and trying to get work done, with old equipment. Some of my tractors are from the 50's and 60's and they still run. Working with these and my newly acquired 1999 45 ft, Leopard (I have spent part of the last 6 months fixing and trying to figure out where things are, what they are for, and where they come from and go to, is entertaining and great satisfaction). It beats going to Vegas and yanking on a handle! Helping out a neighbor, no matter what his ability or know how, is uplifting and in no way a bother. I choose to help or stay out of the way. Lead, follow, or get out of the way-Lee Iacoca.
I am so sorry, but I still cuss when I hit my finger with a hammer. I do look up and say "sorry Sister". Catholic School survivor!
fuentes is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-11-2015, 10:32   #43

Boat: Formosa 30 ketch

Some really good suggestions here about how to troubleshoot an overheating problem (along with some snarky replies from "experts" whom I wouldn't allow to lift my engine hatch ).
Couple of other things:
If the steam came from the exhaust, it's probably the raw water section, if it was from the pressure cap, I would guess the thermostat. They usually fail by sticking shut.
Don't worry about the fresh water pump, their failure is leaking. If there was still antifreeze in the system, you probably didn't hurt the engine.
Bill Seal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 05:18   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
People in the USA are too prone to sue.
I agree. I only mentioned it was because I could not figure out any other reason why the OP asked if the previous owner could have known about the problems. Indeed, look at the first post and that is what he identified as his primary question. What possible difference could that make, unless you are thinking about suing the previous owner?

In subsequent posts, however, it does not really appear that that is what the OP had in mind. So, perhaps I owe the OP an apology for thinking that was his plan. In any case, as I said, odds of winning if you DID sue: minuscule.
denverd0n is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-11-2015, 05:45   #45

Boat: 41' yawl

Quote:
Originally Posted by Klamathman View Post
Guys... I'm busting a gut over here.
Ditto. So far those trolls have contributed that you should have hacked at your engine BEFORE asking about it, and you should just throw your engines away, engines they've never seen and know none of the history of. Safe to ignore!!

I think you are doing the right thing trying to learn whats goimg on. As far as your radiator question, yes, most boats with coolant cooled engines have a heat exchanger that cools the freshwater with seawater, this keeps the seawater out of your engine. There is a second water pump on these engines, often driven by the belt, that moves the seawater loop. The seawater is then mixed with the exhaust and goes out the boat with it. Not certain if thats your setup or not.

But this means you have two water loops to debug, and your problem may be as simple as low seawater flow from a seawater pump that needs a new impeller, or a dirty heat exchanger.
chris95040 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
wheel