Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-06-2023, 06:47   #46

Boat: Nauticat 43 ketch
Re: What's The Strangest Thing Your Anchor Picked Up?

Old fisherman's anchor, pretty large but half eaten away by corrosion that looks like it's been down there for over 100 years.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	oldanchor.jpg
Views:	66
Size:	155.3 KB
ID:	276508  
SV__Grace is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 06:54   #47

Oddest : a big piece of an amphora. Still have it in the bilge. Some bay in North Turkey.
Most often : in some anchorages in Greece you can be sure your anchor will be fouled and you will need the local diver to free you. He is also the one who has wrapped your chain around his trap.
OldBawley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:09   #48

Some years ago I dropped my Bruce once again (after several stays before) in 40’ of water in a lovely anchorage midway up the West Coast of Vancouver Island called Queens Cove. I became concerned when the anchor set instantly and hard. Tried to recover it and it would not budge. Using a combination of lines run back to both primary winches plus the electric windless I finally got the anchor near the surface without breaking anything. I had a six inch (link size) mooring chain trailing off in opposite directions and I had snagged it somewhere in the middle. No idea how much chain I had lifted but clearly over 100 feet and the bow of my Island Packet was down over three feet. I attached a line using a beaner to the crown of the anchor and cleated it off. Releasing all the other three lift points allowed the shank of the anchor to drop, releasing the load and the boat rebounded with a vengeance. Never anchored in that nice shallow spot again, instead moving to 70 feet and more exposed.
svandante is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:13   #49

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Camper & Nicholson58 Ketch - ROXY Traverse City, Michigan No.668283

Way more interesting stuff than we picked up.

Dragged un row Hudson River. Pulled up a heavy, human sized bundle of tarps. Figured it was Hoffa.

Skewered this coral in Tobago last month. Took a while to break it off.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1E96485B-3F63-41EF-8CC0-4DC10FFAAA76.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	440.3 KB
ID:	276514  
Nicholson58 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 07:53   #50

Hooked onto a coral head in St Vincent. Finally got the anchor up and there was a chuck of coral twice the size of basketball pierced by the flukes. Tried to hammer it off; it was stuck good. Had to motor out of the anchorage with this coral hanging off the bow with at least a dozen other boats watching. Thankfully the local LEOs didn't see us. Got out to deep water and away from looky loos and was finally able to get the chunk off.
CaptJimFrei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 08:05   #51

Boat: 40 Ocean trawler "Crew's Inn"

Back in the mid 80s. Simple powered capstan Anchor line retrieve. The bow went down a bit and up came the anchor with An older outboard motor, approximately 75 hp, and heavy, with chunks of a wooden transom firmly within the mounting clamps. My boat was smaller at 33 feet and the Bow pulpit wasn’t roomy so wrestling that thing off on a windy day, with my wife at the helm was quite the adventure.
skipperguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 08:36   #52

Boat: Jeanneau 41DS

A small octopus. Anchored off Plana Cays in The Bahamas, an octopus found shelter in the boxy part of a Danforth. He easily made his way to a scupper and freedom.
Alec H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 10:19   #53

Boat: Catalina 470

This past weekend I was slicing off fishing line like it was my job. Even as the anchor settled in I could see even more line at a 50 degree angle down into the water.

It wasn't interesting, annoying is a better classification for it.
glanrock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 10:27   #54

Boat: 1977 Bristol 29.9 Hull #17

We have picked up an old advertising sign in Hampton Virginia, but the most fun was at St Mary’s Georgia when we dropped the hook on a sunk power boat, took some time to free ourselves with Tow boat US helping us, we did get a souvenir though, when the anchor came up, we had a stanchion with a light on it wrapped in our chain, we put a marker on our plotter to avoid it in the future,

Fair winds,
Pegu Club is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 11:37   #55

About 15 years ago I anchored in the Aves , on the way to Colombia , That morning a very nice looking mermaid came up with my anchor . My girlfriend at the time made me catch and release . Have some regret over that .
myketch42 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 11:46   #56

First time attempting an overnight anchoring, having done one practice anchor, my Delta anchor would not even pretend to set. I pulled it back up to find a tire stretched over it, the point in one side, and the ears in the other. It took a couple of hours to get it pried off using a crowbar and large screwdriver while hanging over the bow and laying on all the hardware mounted there.
Needless to say, my guests (my ex-wife and daughter) had zero confidence in my anchoring ability. My ex spent a sleepless night poking her head out of the hatch playing anchor alarrm. She woke me a first light, saying we had moved. The beach / shoreline looked very different at low tide than it did at high tide the nighht before.
Jlp0217 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 12:17   #57

While I was sailing as Mate on a small coastal tanker, we had to anchor off the east coast of England due to a medical emergency. On heaving up, something was lodged on our anchor. Eventually, after much use of ropes and hauling up part at a time, we managed to secure it.
It was a stocked anchor with about 10 meters of chain attached. We had it hanging off the port bow, but couldn't get it on board (a tanker, our only derricks were midships, no cranes for'd).
Bound for Antwerp, then Dublin, I had visions of getting it off in Dublin. My wife did not sound excited by the idea of an 18th century anchor and cable in the yard. Unfortunately, before entering the locks at Antwerp I had to cut the lashings and return my find to the deep.
SeaFireTraining is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 14:43   #58

Boat: Van de Stadt 38'

A couple of years ago, sailing south on the Queensland coast, in Cairns I collected a 4 meter piece of bend steel balustrade, on Airlie beach a pallet and on Keswick a perfectly round ball of about 600mm of bright green colored rock wrapped with my chain. The anchor winch was complaining.
pendragon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 16:20   #59

Boat: Presto 36

Many years ago, I inadvertently snagged one of the underwater electrical cable servicing parts of St. Catherine's Island, Ga. Pulled it up to the surface. Now that was an, oh ****, moment. ...
Seabeau is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2023, 16:43   #60

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bestevaer.

One factor to consider is that many of these anchors that have collected debris will have reduced holding power.

There can be a lot of debris and rubbish on the seabed.

I sometimes hear how people consider devices like anchor alarms redundant because they use good anchoring gear. I hope they read and consider the consequences of this thread. No anchor no matter how well designed can work correctly when tangled with debris.
noelex 77 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor