Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-05-2011, 08:25   #61

Boat: Beneteau 41S5
Re: Pictures of Crashed Catana in St. Martin.

I was down there and took a herd of pix too. I was even trying to buy her, a Catana 43, "Berlin" I believe, but never heard back from the charter company. The story I heard was that it was a single boat accident and it was driven into a piling. May be a different boat but I don't think so, and I have nothing that says my story is any better than the rest. I was talking with a couple of folks who live there, and that's where this comes from.

Alcohol was involved, with the story-telling that is. I have no idea if it was involved in the accident.

FWIW
97fxdwg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:41   #62

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
Re: Pictures of Crashed Catana in St. Martin.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Captain Bill View Post
The Explorer Chart waypoints typically don't coincide with the exact coordinates of a physical marker such as a bouy..
Yes, the coordinates in most of the guides are offset quite a bit, but when adding a waypoint myself, always make sure I'm close enough to search a buoy out in the fog by hearing it but not so close as to have to worry about finding it by touch. Also try to create waypoints to be well outside any places where getting dragged by current would present a real danger in low visibility. Getting close enough to see the buoys in places like Sow and Pigs Reef off Cuttyhunk could be hazardous to your hull. If the tide was really ripping.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-05-2011, 08:42   #63

Boat: Mirage 27 in Toronto; Wright 10 in Auckland
Re: Whilst: Thread Drift

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sand crab View Post
Saucy, I read the French rag Multihulls World regularly and they use that fandangled word "whilst" about 50 times per issue. I always thought it was some faulty automatic french to english translation program but there you go doing it. Assuming that your biological internal french to english program is functioning properly I have come to the only logical conclusion that whilst is a real word. I am going to try it out tonight at the bar here in Montana. If I say, "scuse me, Mr. Lumberjack will you move your gigantic hulk out of my way whilst I go to the bathroom" do you think I will get my ass kicked? BOB
Sand Crab: Real word, but archaic. Usually used to put a bit of "style" in a written piece. Never used in the presence of lumberjacks, who are known for their adherence to spare, lean, and above all modern English. Woodland Hemingways, every manjack of them.

Connemara
(Written whilst the rain keeps me from waxing and waxing my hull.)
Connemara is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
catana