Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-02-2010, 11:42   #1

Boat: Hans Christian 33
I found one too

I never thought it would happen to me but I found a message in a bottle last summer up in the San Juans.
s/v Bella Star: How to write a message in a bottle
It was dated 2002, but the email address provided is no longer valid. Argh!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	bottle1.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	16.8 KB
ID:	13483  
svbellastar is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-02-2010, 13:11   #2

Boat: Wharram Pahi 63 Catamaran, Sailwind 27 Mono, Ring 20, Lee Fisher 16, Banks Dory, Dunlop Dive RIB
Anyone ever seen the movie or read the book by Nicholas Sparks "Message in a Bottle"? It's one of those rare occasions where the movie is actually better than the book. Some great sailing cinematography in it too and a fantastic performance by Paul Newman. It's one of the few movies I watch time and time again and never tire of.

Regards to real life, as kids we used to run down to the point and throw bottle after bottle in to the churning sea. My mother used to supply us with all the materials in an effort to get us out from under here feet for a few hours, never got a reply, it was only later I found I was standing at the wrong end of the North Atlantic Drift so my messages would of circled back and smashed on the rocks of the next windward shore.

30 years later and it has not stopped me from trying but from now I'll drop them while cruising in a current with a fair idea as to where they might end up, I may ge a reply yet!
Geminidawn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2010, 10:15   #3
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geminidawn View Post
Anyone ever seen the movie or read the book by Nicholas Sparks "Message in a Bottle"? It's one of those rare occasions where the movie is actually better than the book. Some great sailing cinematography in it too and a fantastic performance by Paul Newman. It's one of the few movies I watch time and time again and never tire of.
I have both read the book and seen the film, but I can't say I concur with your opinion, Geminidawn. I thought the book was OK (Nights in Rodanthe was better, IMO), and the film was marginal, but then I can't think of too many films that were better than the one I was "watching" in my mind while reading the book. I've, admittedly, never been a big Kevin Costner fan - I find him too obviously 'acting' in everything he does - but agree that Paul Newman seldom did anything on film that wasn't completely authentic, and Robin Wright Penn is a very reliable performer, often even compelling.