Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-05-2013, 18:31   #91
always in motion is the future

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sundeer 64
Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
My insurance specifies I can't leave the boat unattended for more than 4 hours when at anchor. Don't know where this figure came from ??

Biggest fear around here is bare boat charters for dragging
We leave our boat for up to a month at anchor and fly out halfway over the world and back without worrying... Also fine with the insurance.

s/v Jedi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-05-2013, 18:43   #92
CF Adviser

Boat: 14 meter sloop
Re: Leaving Your Boat at Anchor on a Windy Day

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
My 1st boat with a Danforth type anchor was a 23ft Virgo Voyager... Seagull outboard..
Those Seagulls make great anchors. But what were you hoping to do with the Danforth?

I heard that with a bit of skill a sailor can use one to open beer bottles. Otherwise, they seem too big for a shackle key.
Old 13-05-2013, 05:12   #93

Boat: Morgan 27
[QUOTE="Bash;1233823"]
But what were you hoping to do with the Danforth?
Autumns Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 05:13   #94

Boat: Morgan 27
I can answer that, Drag bottom! This past weekend we were stopping at a local ancrorage of 6' of water with no wind. So I decided to drop our Danforth with 20' of chain and 50' of line, instead of the plow with 50' of chain. Held great through the night and tide shift, no problem... (not one anchor alarm) We left on the dingy toward the beach the next day and were having a great time. As the day progressed I watched as the tide shifted and then noticed my boat had turn and started drifting. I jumped in my brand new dingy and the motor would not start, and I had to row like crazy. By the time I got to the boat it had moved 600' and was heading toward a dock NOT GOOD!!! Needless to say the Danforth became a reef that day.(whistling) IMO... A Danforth is only good for a beach anchor. A lesson I will not forget.
Autumns Wind is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 07:09   #95

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Emmalina View Post
My insurance specifies I can't leave the boat unattended for more than 4 hours when at anchor. Don't know where this figure came from ??

Biggest fear around here is bare boat charters for dragging
Seems like the more reasonable restriction would be to state that you could not leave your boat for 4 hours after anchoring. Much dragging I see is from the people who motor in, dump their gear and are in the dinghy heading to shore before the boat even drifts back on the rode.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2013, 17:42   #96

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kettlewell View Post
Short scoping it is the single biggest problem I see. I don't know how often in a crowded anchorage I have had someone drop their hook right about where my hook is, then let out half as much scope as me and come to a rest with their stern 10 feet in front of my bow. They don't dare back down because they might "pull it loose." Luckily most of them realize that isn't a good place to be, so they pull up and then try the same stunt a few more times until they end up in some marginal location, not quite on top of someone, with significantly short scope, and an anchor that is not well dug in. Often they then proceed to demolish large quantities of alcohol prepping themselves for the inevitable thundersquall.
This has to be my worst pet peeve, and unfortunately a very common occurrence.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-05-2013, 13:35   #97

Boat: Sunbeam 44

Having the correct anchor ... anchoring correctly ... etc ... aside.
This is a useful little device ... helps my nerves when anchored & ashore ... Had one for about 3 years now - just upgraded. Boat Security, Boat and Yacht Security from Yacht Sentinel | the ultimate security system

Assuming you have a mobile phone signal - it will txt alert you if you drag out of your geofence - and you can automatically trigger another back-up anchor deployment - if you wish.
d4raffy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-06-2013, 21:48   #98

Boat: 1995 Catalina 36 MkII

The thought occurs to this newbie to ask. How do these anchor drag phone apps work? For example could the app be activated and left on board with instructions to call the wife's phone if drag is occuring? That would be cool...
rbyham is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 15:54   #99

Boat: Seafarer 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by rbyham View Post
The thought occurs to this newbie to ask. How do these anchor drag phone apps work? For example could the app be activated and left on board with instructions to call the wife's phone if drag is occuring? That would be cool...
Some of them claim to do that, but we have had mixed luck testing. I set the swing radius extremely tight to trip the alarm, but none of my tests ended up giving me any confidence in reliability. Maybe other users have had better testing luck, but really there is no substitute for staying aboard if there is any question on holding.
engele is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 16:50   #100

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

[QUOTE=Autumns Wind;1234070 This past weekend we were stopping at a local ancrorage of 6' of water with no wind. So I decided to drop our Danforth with 20' of chain and 50' of line, instead of the plow with 50' of chain.g .[/QUOTE]

You anchored with a scope of almost 12 with a crappy anchor???

In our crowded harbors that tactic would infuriate your anchoring neighbors. Time to consider others and a new anchor.
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 17:05   #101

Boat: Seafarer36c

Quote:
Originally Posted by foggysail View Post
You anchored with a scope of almost 12 with a crappy anchor???

In our crowded harbors that tactic would infuriate your anchoring neighbors. Time to consider others and a new anchor.
Wow, I guess I would not give a crap what my neighbors thought. It's my boat and my crappy ground tackle. Fact is, I would do the same thing with my good ground tackle. That said, I would not jamb myself into a tight space though.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 17:14   #102

Boat: 40' Silverton Aftcabin with twin Crusaders

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Wow, I guess I would not give a crap what my neighbors thought. It's my boat and my crappy ground tackle. Fact is, I would do the same thing with my good ground tackle. That said, I would not jamb myself into a tight space though.

Too many people have your attitude. But if you persist and do anchor around here with a scope approaching 12, your anchoring neighbors are going to drop their anchors such that yours will quickly become an entangled mess.

Most of the people that I find in anchorages do not share your pompous, self righteous, screw you buddy attitude!

And though it is your anchor, if you bang into my boat you will damned well pay for damages one way or the other!
foggysail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 17:26   #103
CLOD

Boat: none

Quote:
Originally Posted by Guy View Post
Thats the way to win anchorage friends ............................ you know the ones that you hope help keep an eye out for you what the weather picks up and youn are ashore.
Old 26-06-2013, 17:39   #104

Boat: Seafarer36c

You guy's crack me up. I don't depend on anyone to keep track of my boat. I can see why you do. As I said I would not anchor among a bunch of boats with only 40' out, anywhere. I am surprised that on a "cruisers" forum anyone would argue for such a thing. If my boat drags its going to be something where you could not help even if you wanted to. And, I suspect with this kind of attitude your boat will drag long before mine.
model 10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-06-2013, 17:45   #105
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Leaving Your Boat at Anchor on a Windy Day

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
anchor