Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 26-05-2016, 19:07   #1

Boat: 1980 Morgan 415
Last days of a Cal 40

10 years ago a fella in his 70's bought but never registered her. He lived aboard for 9 years and left her at anchor off of the bay a year or so ago. A few weeks ago a young fellow took possession and set off on an ill conceived attempt to find a marina that would allow him to live aboard.

Failing that she was left at anchor with a short scope not far from the ship channel for a couple of weeks. Up close it is plain to see her better days are long past but from a distance was still pretty swinging with the breeze and floating on her lines.

Tonight after 25 mph sustained winds the boat now resides on the rocks. The commercial traffics wakes will likely make short work of whatever is left of keel and rudder.

One mans trash is another's cherished past possession.
Old 26-05-2016, 19:12   #2

Boat: Liberty 458
Re: Last days of a Cal 40

Sad

Sent from my SM-N900T using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
leftbrainstuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 19:27   #3

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.

One of my former boats, an Ingrid 38 has ended up close to the same way. I sold her in 2009 and the owner cruised her for a bit. With some health and financial issues he could see he could no longer care for her and offered her back to me. I thought hard on it and seriously considered buying her back. I guess someone else caught wind of it and bought her with the intent on cruising her. I heard he put a few dollars in her and in a blow, slipped her mooring and holed her on the rocks.
She is apparently on the hard now with a gaping hole along her hull. My friend told me she was for sale. But a holed former girlfriend would be a tough fix for me.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 19:53   #4

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cap Erict3 View Post
10 years ago a fella in his 70's bought but never registered her. He lived aboard for 9 years and left her at anchor off of the bay a year or so ago. A few weeks ago a young fellow took possession and set off on an ill conceived attempt to find a marina that would allow him to live aboard.

Failing that she was left at anchor with a short scope not far from the ship channel for a couple of weeks. Up close it is plain to see her better days are long past but from a distance was still pretty swinging with the breeze and floating on her lines.

Tonight after 25 mph sustained winds the boat now resides on the rocks. The commercial traffics wakes will likely make short work of whatever is left of keel and rudder.

One mans trash is another's cherished past possession.
Where was this because I heard of one being lost also? I wonder how many new sailors know about the Cal 40 and appreciate its place in history as well as its virtues even today against most new boats...?
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-05-2016, 20:46   #5

This one was in Clear Lake, Tx.
Old 27-05-2016, 08:13   #6

Boat: Westerly Centaur 26
Send a message via Skype™ to Manos1955

What a sad story
Thank you for sharing Capt
Manos1955 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 09:33   #7

Boat: Ian Ross design ketch 63'

I kind of had the opposite experience.

Many many years ago I wanted to learn how to sail. I met a guy who sailed and asked him to teach me. Oooops, no boat. A friend in the police department said they had an old sailboat (Hunter) in the impound yard that had been found washed up on the beach after a hurricane and had been sitting there a long time. . No one claimed it, no holes in it, hmmmm.

We bought it from the county for $1. They even threw in a trailer that no one wanted. We went through red tape hell getting a title for that boat but we finally did. I learned fiberglassing from relaminating the fore deck before I ever went sailing on her. I cleaned bilges, I prettied her up. After about 2 months we launched her and finally, finally I learned to sail.

Eight months later we got married, bought another boat, then another and finally this one. Each one was an orphan that we brought back from the edge of oblivion. That's my abandoned boat story
redhead is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-05-2016, 21:04   #8

Sad. Cal 40's are awesome boats. I crew on one, and love it.

For an upside story, check out the restoration of a Cal 40 on Youtube. Schaefer Marine picked one up for free (you know the story) and they are doing a complete restoration. Glassing the deck seam, reinforcing under the deck for a baby stay, reinforcing the bilge to reduce keel flex, fairing the hull...lots of cool stuff.

It is now on the hard, upside down resting on a wood frame (facilitates bottom work and glass work under the decks). I went to see the boat at the Berkeley Marina. It will take a lot of work and money, but it is great to see a Cal 40 coming back to life. That boat will be spectacular.

I clearly remember sailing my El Toro over to see the first Cal 40 in our marina. I remember just how beautiful it was. They still are.

Check out the videos. I thin there are seven or so. Search for Cal 40 Sailboat Restoration Shaefer Marine.
Bill-R is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-05-2016, 01:04   #9

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

FWIW,

We know some folks who are cruising in one, and we had one friend back in SF who sailed one in a number of singlehanded Transpacs. secrabtree will remember whom I mean.

Ann
Old 28-05-2016, 11:59   #10

She had a rough night. Sustained winds 25-30. All blowing in a bad news direction. Stern sitting high.

A lady with a jet ski and some salvage connections showing an interest. We'll see.
Old 28-05-2016, 20:55   #11

Boat: 1962 Columbia 29 MK 1 #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill-R View Post
Sad. Cal 40's are awesome boats. I crew on one, and love it.

For an upside story, check out the restoration of a Cal 40 on Youtube. Schaefer Marine picked one up for free (you know the story) and they are doing a complete restoration. Glassing the deck seam, reinforcing under the deck for a baby stay, reinforcing the bilge to reduce keel flex, fairing the hull...lots of cool stuff.

It is now on the hard, upside down resting on a wood frame (facilitates bottom work and glass work under the decks). I went to see the boat at the Berkeley Marina. It will take a lot of work and money, but it is great to see a Cal 40 coming back to life. That boat will be spectacular.

I clearly remember sailing my El Toro over to see the first Cal 40 in our marina. I remember just how beautiful it was. They still are.

Check out the videos. I thin there are seven or so. Search for Cal 40 Sailboat Restoration Shaefer Marine.
I'll post the link over at the plastic classics group.
1962 Columbia 29 MKI #37
Don C L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-05-2016, 08:49   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: CAL, 35 Cruiser, 35 ft

Took time out a couple of months ago to visit the Berkeley Marina. The CAL 40 they have from Fred Cook the owner of Schaefer Marine is quite something. It was flipped upside down so the hull and keel well could be stiffened. Got a chance to stand inside the upside down hull. She was stripped to the fiberglass. The work being done on her was remarkable. She will be a new boat. My guess she will be a fast boat. Cannot wait to go back to the Marina when she is relaunched. Looking forward to seeing her sail again. She is being rebirthed.

Inspired me to new ideas for my own boat. A 1974 Cal35C. I just finished restoring the mast and installing new standing rigging. Here she is
S/V Hadley waiting to receiver her new to her rig.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Waiting for mast.jpg
Views:	452
Size:	440.2 KB
ID:	125137  
JSSailem is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cal