Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rating: Thread Rating: 5 votes, 4.80 average. Display Modes
Old 07-06-2014, 15:48   #331
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Sunmaid 20, John Welsford Navigator
Re: I Think I Saw MH370

It is not her position to ask you to. If you want somebody to do something for you, then it is up to you to make the offer.

I have no wish to get involved in a long and tedious argument with you at all. I am just fed up of people making this couple's life hell. All because she reported what she saw. Does anybody see any justice in this?

If I ever was in her position I would like to think that I would do the right thing as well, but after watching this circus of media and ratbag frenzy, I might now think twice about it.

Coops.
Old 07-06-2014, 15:49   #332

Boat: corsair tri and custom cat

Quote:
Originally Posted by europaflyer View Post
Without being disrespectful to anyone I honestly don't think there is a cat in hell's chance that hypnosis would bring out more useful information, especially with detail like positions of stars. I think Saucy has given all she has to give, and all that is left to do is to see whether the authorities make anything of it. If it were me I would have found having my name and picture plastered all over the media across the world very stressful, and Saucy probably just needs some Saucy time right now.

I am not going to continue to debate the merit or lack of.

I need to get some fiberglass work done.
gypsy wanderer is offline   Reply
Old 07-06-2014, 15:59   #333

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Re: Hypnotic recall.
It seems to me that in my limited search on hypnosis in Law Enforcement that the majority of hits are from people selling training in hypnotic investigation. Even the good doctor in the link posted above is selling training courses in hypnosis. His credentials look good but I am a skeptic when someone proposes the benefits of something that he/she is selling. May be true, maybe not true. I would like to see references to peer reviewed scientific studies rather than references to articles written by people who are selling the product, so to speak.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply
Old 07-06-2014, 16:09   #334

I don't mind being a paternal grandpa especially if that means supporting someone in a point of view that they have already expressed - no or little sleep in four days ring a bell?
I certainly did not suggest she "run away and hide." She has done her best to answer questions and state what happened. She may choose to continue to do so or not.
I have used hypnosis as a clinical tool a good deal and am also familiar with the literature on the unreliability of memory. It may have a role where trauma is involved or where additional time and focus are required rather than an off the cuff immediate recall.
I doubt that this is such a case or that the stars would add more than course direction and position relative to the boat. In any event I rather think it would diminish her credibility if anything.
chris_gee is offline   Reply
Old 07-06-2014, 20:42   #335

Firstly, kudos to Saucy for having the courage to publicly announce what she saw.

It seems that timing is rather important to making sense out of this. There has been some conjecture about the local time on the GPS track. UTC + 7 hours is common but I have seen someone say UTC + 9 as well. On the World Time Zones chart that I looked at for that longitude, it says local time would be UTC + 6 hours. However, if the GPS self-adjusted for Indonesian time, if in fact Saucy was actually in Indonesian waters at the time of her sighting, then the local time stamp would in fact be UTC + 7. I know that Saucy can't remember what time of the night it was but maybe she could remember if it was almost dawn, or not. The fact that the higher aircraft that she saw were not glowing orange suggests that it was at least some time before dawn.
Some posters here have said that the satellite ping of, I think, 1941 hours put the aircraft too far to the south. In fact all those satellite pings only transcribe concentric circles centred on a point directly below the satellite and any North/South estimations have to be based on other information.
If Saucy said that she saw an abnormal looking aircraft, and it is without question that she was in the general area at the time, then the only two possibilities are that she actually saw the aircraft in question, or that she is making the whole thing up. At this point in time I am not prepared to entertain the second option.
The two valuable pieces of information are; that aircraft was headed generally South, and that it was at a less than optimum altitude for maximum range. Also, the possibility that it was on fire also would be useful.

Just my 2c's worth...
Armchair Pilot is offline   Reply
Old 07-06-2014, 21:30   #336

Boat: Allied Mistress Ketch 39'

Saucy, if you are reading this, I think I speak for sailors everywhere when I say I am proud of you for coming forward at great sacrifice of your peaceful press-free existence and trying to help solve this MH370 mystery. I'm sure it has caused you an amazing amount of stress. You might consider adding to your signature, "before you ask me any questions or address me as SS, please read the full thread" lol

Saucy, these things happen so fast, I seriously doubt that the pilots were still conscious if the plane was glowing orange with black smoke coming out if it. The pilot and copilot may have been trying to head to an airport to land before falling unconscious from the toxic smoke from the batteries they were carrying.

I read that some people from Austin that lost loved ones on that flight talked Indiegogo.com, a crowd fund site into letting them raise $3,000,000 for a reward (a first). They are hoping for a whistle blower to come forward help them with inside knowledge about the plane and are also trying to raise $2,000,000 to hire an international detective agency to track phone calls that may have been made, etc. I hope that they are able to find out what happened to this ill-fated flight.

Thanks to you for being a good citizen and reporting this sighting, there is new evidence that might help people figure out what really happened.
ohYes is offline   Reply
Old 07-06-2014, 22:29   #337

If my memory is correct Indonesia has 3 time zones. On an automatic system it should have ust +7 in that general area. However if the system took into account national waters it could have been Indian time ust +5.5. That is perhaps unlikely but depends on how exactly the system worked which requires an audit.
West Indonesian time from memory would be ust +7 which is what has been claimed all along. If it were +8 by some malfunction that would surely have been apparent to the OP if they use that as a primary time source or confirmation.
chris_gee is offline   Reply
Old 07-06-2014, 23:33   #338

Referring again to my "World Time Zones Chart", hardly the definitive authority, I know, renders the situation even more ambiguous.
Great Nicobar Island is Indian territory and is UTC +5 1/2. The general area between 82.5 deg E and 97.5 deg E is UTC + 6 and, yes, Indonesia does have three time zones but the closest to where Saucy saw the aircraft is UTC + 7. So, if the GPS updated according to national sovereignty it would show a time stamp of either + 5 1/2 or + 7. If it was relying on longitude alone the time would show UTC + 6.
Armchair Pilot is offline   Reply
Old 07-06-2014, 23:53   #339

Boat: Allied Mistress Ketch 39'

I also wanted to mention how impressed I am with the level of intelligence and deductive skills of the forum members on this thread. Thanks everyone for helping out with their informative posts!
ohYes is offline   Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 03:02   #340

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaucySailoress View Post
Very similar, but the sky was much darker.
Light reflection on the hull from beyond the horizon might be considered the most likely explanation then, if you cannot remember how close to dawn/dusk you were. If a plane were really on fire to that extent it would crash quite close to you, and that doesn't seem to be the case here.

The smoke would therefore be an ordinary con trail.

Not saying this is what you saw, but it seems more likely I guess. But wtf do I know? Thanks for answering my questions. Hope you get some rest.
AdamNewsnight is offline   Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 04:53   #341

I wonder if it was anything like this?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	15408.jpg
Views:	197
Size:	55.8 KB
ID:	82655  
Flight is offline   Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 04:55   #342

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamNewsnight View Post
Light reflection on the hull from beyond the horizon might be considered the most likely explanation then, if you cannot remember how close to dawn/dusk you were. If a plane were really on fire to that extent it would crash quite close to you, and that doesn't seem to be the case here.

The smoke would therefore be an ordinary con trail.

Not saying this is what you saw, but it seems more likely I guess. But wtf do I know? Thanks for answering my questions. Hope you get some rest.

As the angle of observation between the vessel and aircraft changed, then the reflective angle between the horizon and the observer would also change.

If the lower altitude aircraft was illuminated by the horizon, then the other two higher altitude aircraft would have been illuminated in the same way!
Old 08-06-2014, 05:05   #343

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flight View Post
I wonder if it was anything like this?

F 111 on afterburners???

With quite lowly flying plane the first reflection would be probably something like: "Holy s#!t, how fast is THIS THING going????"
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 05:09   #344

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Ocean Star 56.1 LR

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cavalier View Post
If that was the case, then the other two higher altitude aircraft would have been illuminated in the same way!

Not necessarily.
With much of difference in altitude they could be in full (white) light of the sun, and lower flying aircraft in red/orange light of setting/getting up sun.
Pure speculation, of course, as we do not know the timing really
DoubleWhisky is offline   Reply
Old 08-06-2014, 05:16   #345

Boat: Beneteau 461 47'

Quote:
Originally Posted by DoubleWhisky View Post
Not necessarily.
With much of difference in altitude they could be in full (white) light of the sun, and lower flying aircraft in red/orange light of setting/getting up sun.
Pure speculation, of course, as we do not know the timing really

Well, I if I recall, Saucy mentioned seeing the lower aircraft below some of the clouds.. Why were the clouds not illuminated? This feature would have been something quite easily recalled for anybody who's been awake before 8am.

Seeing an aircraft lit up in pink/orange wouldn't stand out as being an odd sight when other parts of the sky are screaming 'dawn/dusk', if that was the case I doubt this thread would exist. An orange flying thing in an otherwise very dark sky with a trail of smoke behind it might, however, look out of the ordinary.