Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-03-2010, 10:27   #1

Boat: 1974 Sabre 28 Mk I - Icefire
Disaster! Need Help ASAP!

ARRRRRGGGGGHHHHHH!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You guys haven't heard from me in a while, because there hasn't been a lot to say in a while. Paul Blais and I got Icefire down to Charleston safe and sound, as I previously reported (thanks again for the help Paul!). Life was good.

Then I got orders to transfer. It was gonna be too much $ to haul and ship her up to NY with me, and it seemed to make no sense to store her on the hard when the mooring was free. So I made arrangements with the family living a few boats down for them to keep an eye on her, and we moved north.

There was an issue almost immediately: my dinghy broke loose and washed ashore at a nearby marina. Dani and her hubby went out and retrieved it, so all was good.

Until today. When TowBoatUS called me.

Icefire broke free from the mooring. Or the mooring pulled free from the seabed. Hard to believe the latter, but at this point the reports from the field are unclear. I know for certain that at least the buoy is still tied to the boat, but somehow the towboat captain knew that I was on a helical moor. How would he know that?

Regardless, TowBoatUS received two different VHF hails about a vessel adrift. By the time they got out to her, the Coast Guard was also on scene. They managed to get a line onto her and get her under control before she hit the rocks along the battery on the south end of Charleston, and she didn't hit any other boats, so I was lucky: no damage and no liability. But since she was adrift and they weren't called out for a mechanical failure needing towing, they're calling it salvage and saying my unlimited towing BoatUS membership doesn't apply. I'm getting my insurance on it, but that seems jacked.

They tied the boat up at the City Marina, and will negotiate with my insurance folks to cover the towing cost and dockage fees. But now I need to figure out what to do. If the buoy is still tied to the boat, that means best case the rest of the mooring line and chain is sitting on the bottom of the Ashley. I know about where it is, but since I'm not there to dive it, I'll have to hire a diver to find it. Even if I do that, I've now lost confidence in the plan to just leave her on the buoy.

Which means it's put her on the hard or sell her.

I was supremely unsuccessful in trying to sell her before I left (I didn't really want to, but it seemed that maybe it was the smart thing to do). I know it's a bad time to sell a boat, and I probably asked to much. So maybe I'll list her again for less.

So here's the deal. Anyone in Charleston on the board here willing to drive her to one of the boatyards in town and help get her up on the hard? I haven't made arrangements yet: this all just happened in the last 2 hrs. But it'll need to get done asap to minimize transient dock fees.

Barring that, does anyone want a 1974 Sabre 28? She needs a new paintjob, and the roller furling needs to be repaired, but aside from that she's in good shape and sound. I own her free and clear, so any reasonable cash offers are welcome.

Man, I love this boat. But I knew back in 2006 when I bought her that it was the wrong time, and in general a bad idea. I've had a lot of fun with her, but she's also been a lot of trouble. It would be one thing if I was settled, but I'm still on Active Duty: I move around a LOT. I'm beginning to realize that I need to not have a boat until I'm done with the Navy and can stay on or near her all the time. This is the second time she's broken free of her moorings when I was away. The first time was right after I moved to Charleston, while she was still at a slip in Annapolis. I got a call from the MD DNR people saying she'd been found adrift in her creek and they'd tied her to a Navy mooring there. Fortunately, my dad was there to retrieve her. This time, though.....ain't no dad around to help.

This has been somewhat rambling, I know. Rest assured, I've not given up on sailing or the notion of cruising all over the place once I'm done with the Navy and am getting paid to breathe (t minus 7 years and counting now). I'm just not sure it's a good idea for the moment.

Oy.

If anyone is able to help, or has any other thoughts, please let me know.

Alexei is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 11:03   #2
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Since it was a free mooring I assume the owner of the mooring is not a potential to help cover the costs?

Not in Charleston but met a really nice local mechanic passing through last fall. If you don't find any help on the forum let me know and I'm sure he can find local assistance.

Good luck,

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 11:05   #3

Holy Shiteballs!

I just got off the phone with the dockmaster at the Charleston City Marina. He's sending me pictures of it over email, but from his report, the entire helical moor is lying on Icefire's deck! Somehow, little Icefire pulled the mooring up out of the seabed completely! Rob, the guy I bought the mooring from, set it up to hold his 34 foot catamaran, so I figured it would be fine for Icefire.

Apparently not.

Holy crap!

Well, at least I still have the mooring equipment under my control. I own it, so it would have been a shame to lose it at the bottom of the Ashley.

Oy Vei!
Old 13-03-2010, 11:41   #4
Moderator Emeritus

Boat: Gozzard 36
Send a message via Skype™ to Pblais
Alexei, I just don't think she wants to let you go. Some girls can't be tied down. Can't be held but she does not wreck. Should make a great boat for someone getting started. Should any one want an opinion I will say she can be a great boat if you can keep her in the slip. Good luck to you and I'm sure you'll be happy when spring comes up your way. It just showed signs this week here.
Pblais is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 11:56   #5

Boat: Haida 26', 18' Sea Kayak, 15' kayak, 6.5' skiff, shorts
Insurance

Yet another anecdote that supports me in my decision to avoid marine insurance as much as possible.

They take your money willfully, and try as hard as possible not to shell any money out.
tager is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 13:44   #6

Boat: 50' steel canal and river cruiser
Same goes for any insurance.

Shysters, one and all.
Old 13-03-2010, 14:08   #7
Eternal Member

Boat: Ericson 27 & 18' Herrmann Catboat
Q: What is the difference between Towing and Salvage?

A: BoatUS establishes Towing-Ungrounding as “any operation not involving immediate peril to the boat or to a legally protected marine environment and requiring only one towing vessel with lines attached to the grounded boat to refloat it or to the disabled boat to tow it.” Salvage includes “any operation involving immediate peril to the boat, the marine environment or the use of special salvage equipment (pumps, airbags, dredging equipment, cranes, etc.”). For more information about the difference between Towing and Salvage, please click here.

Admiralty/Maritime law is a wierd bird.
Chief Engineer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 16:58   #8
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
Is the boat able to move under her own power? I have friends in charleston. Two of which are meeting me in key west next weekend for a tortugas trip. Dolphin cove a short trip up the ashley has haulout facilities, slips and dry storage, ill text him,Mark and ask him if hed have time to bring her up if that suits your plan and it isn't.a towing thing.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 17:19   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by forsailbyowner View Post
Is the boat able to move under her own power? I have friends in charleston. Two of which are meeting me in key west next weekend for a tortugas trip. Dolphin cove a short trip up the ashley has haulout facilities, slips and dry storage, ill text him,Mark and ask him if hed have time to bring her up if that suits your plan and it isn't.a towing thing.
Oh yeah, she can absolutely move under her own power. The ol' Atomic 4 runs like a champ. The only problem is that I'm in New York.

I could be wrong, but I don't think Dolphin Cove takes sailboats. I recall talking to them before making the trip down the ICW with Icefire, and was rebuffed. But then, that was a while back.

Tell Mark to drop me a line or give me a ring. PM me for my number.

Thanks!
Old 13-03-2010, 18:31   #10

Boat: Tartan 27' - 'Odalisque'
One of a boat owners worst nightmares.
I looked at the Dolphin Cove website and there is a picture at the top of the page that shows a sailboat at their docks, mostly motor boats but there is a sail boat with a mast.
http://www.dolphincovemarina.net/
At least if you can get the boat hauled you wont have to worry about her running away again. I would not trust that helix mooring anchor now but you could sell that separately. Once hauled you will be paying monthly yard fees though. It sounds like it might be time to cash out before losing your shirt to ongoing costs.
Sabres are pretty highly regarded boats so you should be able to get several thousands for it. Unfortunately you will likely incur 'salvage' fees for rescuing your boat which your insurance may or may not cover.
I would offer to help as well but I am also in NY.
Good luck and this too shall pass.
CalebD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-03-2010, 18:50   #11
cruiser

Boat: Morgan 33 OutIsland, Magic and 33' offshore scott design "Cutting Edge"
I PMed you Marks number. He's up still, am texting with him now. He knows Sunset Cay dockmaster, owner and a bunch of slip owners. My brother was paying $250 month for his 46' hunter renting from a slip owner. Some slips owned some not sold rented by property owner.
forsailbyowner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 07:42   #12
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
I recommend you download & print this excellent resource, "Sabre’s Online Technical Support For Do It Yourself Projects". The next owner will thank you.
Technical Support for Sabre yachts built by Sabre Yachts in Maine, USA

Good luck selling.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-03-2010, 14:57   #13

Boat: Roberts Offshore 38
From my understanding of the laws relating to salvage, any vessel adrift and un-manned is considered salvage. Once they get a line on and get the boat secured they will expect to be paid a percentage of the boats value by slapping a lien on it. As for insurance, check to see if your insurance covers extended periods of owner absence. They may try to skip on that clause.

Sabre
SabreKai is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 05:35   #14
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pearson 422
Regarding salvage claims, I read an article by a maritime lawyer some time ago addressing this issue. According to what I read, the salvage claim must be reasonable and in line with the amount of work and level of risk taken by the salvage crew. If "salvage" consisted of attaching a line and towing 1/4 mile to a dock the charge should not be significant.

Please let us know how this works out.

Skip
skipmac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-03-2010, 12:52   #15

Bad new for sure, but. IF after all this you've figured out that the cheapest route is not always to best one, it won't all be in vain... Applies to anchors and seacocks as well..

Cape Dory 25D Seraph
rtbates is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
asa