Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-07-2021, 17:56   #1

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
China Scam

This thread category description reads...:Stories on things that went wrong while cruising. Such tales can sometimes be amusing, but more importantly, the rest of us can learn from them.

I was searching for a Twin Disc TMC 60 transmission online when I came across this site...
https://www.tmplifyu.com/technodrive...ty-p-24285.htm (don't bother opening it, it has gone with the wind) which showed one at a ridiculously cheap price. I was suspicious but went ahead anyways and purchased it using Paypal to be safe.
Immediately it became clear that I was dealing with China.

A correspondence took place shortly after and looked like this...

Thu, Jun 3, 8:47 AM
to jixiangruyi6669

Ok...Do you have a tracking number? ...Martin

jixiangruyi6669

Thu, Jun 3, 8:09 PM
to me
  • Yes, I will tell you later, thanks

jixiangruyi6669
jixiangruyi6669@163.com
签名由 网易邮箱大师 定制

Thu, Jun 3, 8:10 PM

to jixiangruyi6669

Later when?...Thanks, Martin

Mon, Jun 7, 2:18 PM

to jixiangruyi6669

It has been a week since I ordered the TMC 60 transmission. I have asked for a tracking number 2 times. I will ask again. WHERE IS THE TRACKING INFORMATION. ...Martin Burs

jixiangruyi6669

Tue, Jun 8, 3:17 AM

to me

• I have sent the order, please wait patiently, thank you

Thu, Jun 10, 6:03 PM
to jixiangruyi6669

Since you have not supplied me with a tracking number for the item I paid you on June 1st. 2021, for and repeatedly asking for a tracking number, it was necessary to open a dispute with Paypal in an attempt to resolve this issue. Paypal now has all documentation including all of our emails. The next step will be to file a claim for the money I paid you. If you want to avoid this action, you will have to immediately supply me with a tracking number from a known shipping service. ...Martin

jixiangruyi6669

Thu, Jun 10, 6:41 PM
to me

hello
The tracking number is LY802992084CN
jixiangruyi6669
jixiangruyi6669@163.com
签名由 网易邮箱大师 定制

Thu, Jun 10, 7:14 PM
to jixiangruyi6669

It says...
Not Found
The package is not found at this moment. It may take several days for the shipment to become trackable. Please check back later. Also make sure you've provided a correct tracking number.

You did not provide a site to track so I assume it is Packages24.com and is being shipped out of China.
The dispute will stay in place and I will proceed to a Paypal claim unless I have a verifiable tracking system.

jixiangruyi6669

Tue, Jun 15, 7:34 AM
to me

hello friend
I have sent the order, please be patient, it will take about 2-4 weeks, thank you

Here is what I finally received...

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Fraud1 - Copy.jpg
Views:	305
Size:	116.8 KB
ID:	241564   Click image for larger version

Name:	Fraud2 - Copy.jpg
Views:	350
Size:	85.7 KB
ID:	241565  

"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 19:28   #2

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop
Re: China Scam

Smart you to put the dispute in place.

Ann
Old 03-07-2021, 19:33   #3
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

Those new Chinese Twin Disc TMC 60 transmissions are remarkably compact these days - must make them a breeze to fit!
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2021, 21:19   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by JPA Cate View Post
Smart you to put the dispute in place.

Ann

Thanx Ann...I'm hoping Paypal pulls through and I get my money back.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 03-07-2021, 21:20   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wotname View Post
Those new Chinese Twin Disc TMC 60 transmissions are remarkably compact these days - must make them a breeze to fit!

It just dawned on me...Maybe I'm suppose to water them!
Old 03-07-2021, 22:14   #6

Boat: Jon Sayer 1-off 46 ft fract rig sloop strip plank in W Red Cedar

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
It just dawned on me...Maybe I'm suppose to water them!
Well, of course you are! The delay in shipping was while t hey freeze dried it. This was with your benefit in mind, for the desiccated tranny reduced the shipping charges a whole lot.

BTW, exactly what was in the package?

Jim
Old 03-07-2021, 23:12   #7

But what if it turns into a Chinese bean stock? i could be lost for days!
Old 04-07-2021, 05:54   #8

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I'm surprised they waited so long to give you a tracking number.

What I've seen lately is sellers (even legitimate ones) immediately have a tracking number assigned, even long before they actually ship the product. The status will be something like "awaiting delivery to the shipping company." It can stay in this status for days, weeks, maybe forever.

The problem is, sites like Amazon and eBay recognize the item as "shipped" as soon as the number is assigned. That triggers their waiting period. Now you can't request a refund unless you haven't received it in 30 days (or whatever.)

By then the "company" which sold it is out of business. I bought from one company that eBay blocked for violations shortly after the sale. eBay knew that they never really shipped anything, but still made me wait before I could get a refund.

In your case, they used a different trick. Actually ship something small and cheap. Now the tracking status actually shows the product being received by the shipping company and moving toward the customer. Even harder to fight, until it gets there. By which time the seller is long gone.

Bottom line: A tracking number is no indication the seller is legit.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 09:01   #9

Yes Tom...that is exactly what happened. But as soon as I felt he was scamming me, I immediately opened up a dispute. So if I do get my money back, I don't think the seller gets the money until the dispute is settled. But maybe they hold onto it. Time will tell.
There was another thread about buying from China on CF and I was amazed that members were 50/50 about buying and justifying buying directly from them even though other members like myself received the short end.
Old 04-07-2021, 17:59   #10

Don't want to start a war but the only time I was scammed was from a USA based on-line chandlery. Took the money (a couple hundred bucks) but never sent the goods and then went silent. Maybe 8 or 10 years back. It took awhile (like almost a year) before I got my money back via the CC company.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Old 04-07-2021, 18:12   #11

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
Thanx Ann...I'm hoping Paypal pulls through and I get my money back.
They likely will. PayPal has a very good dispute resolution process. It was a good idea for you to pay w PayPal. I often do the same.

Bought an item online once (here on CF in fact). Paid w PayPal. Item had some issues. I tried to contact the Seller for a couple of weeks, no response. So, I filed a dispute w PayPal and got a very cooperative call from Seller within 24 hours. Turns out Seller had accepted payment thru his wife's PayPal account which she used in her business. I think she provided the necessary "motivation" to resolve the issue! [emoji1787]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 18:13   #12

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post
Well, of course you are! The delay in shipping was while t hey freeze dried it. This was with your benefit in mind, for the desiccated tranny reduced the shipping charges a whole lot.

Jim
Think how much they saved you on shipping! [emoji23]
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 18:16   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
........... So, I filed a dispute w PayPal and got a very cooperative call from Seller within 24 hours. Turns out Seller had accepted payment thru his wife's PayPal account which she used in her business. I think she provided the necessary "motivation" to resolve the issue! [emoji1787]
That will do it - every time
Old 04-07-2021, 18:41   #14

Boat: Prairie 36 Coastal Cruiser

I don't have anything against Chinese merchants in particular. I've had some very good experiences buying from them. It never fails to amaze me how quickly small, inexpensive items can be shipped half-way around the world!

The problem is that there are loopholes in these platforms (eBay, Ali Express, PayPal, Amazon, etc.) which allow crooks of any nationality to exploit them. If you can sell enough "stuff," and stall the returns long enough to make off with the money, you can get quite a haul, then disappear.

It's tempting to want more protections for customers, but I don't want to see the small merchants taken advantage of either. It's a real balancing act to try to prevent dishonest buyers AND sellers on these platforms.
CaptTom is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2021, 19:07   #15

Boat: Beebe Passagemaker 50'

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jim Cate View Post

Jim

Jim, the beads in the top of the photo of the envelope was what was in the package. They ship ANYTHING, just to have a tracking # that shows movement toward the destination. It's there way of stretching out the timeline past the point where you can dispute. I make it a point to put in a dispute at about 28 days, even if the ad stated 4 to 6, or 6 to 8 weeks to deliver. It doesn't mess up a legitimate business, as long as it it eventually delivered, but it gets your claim in under the wire so you have a leg to stand on.

Oh, and a year or so ago, many people in the US were getting packages of seeds with no sender info . . . It was a more widespread case of "send anything", just to get a tracking #
BlueH2Obound is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
China