Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > The Sailor's Confessional
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-01-2016, 19:41   #31

Boat: Formerly Pearson 28-1, now just a sailing dinghy
Re: Amazing luck you've observed

Well when it's all codified and put together, Phil, I'd love to read it. Lots of great stories about the development of the coast and the industry I'm sure. If you need a little inspiration, 'shadow country' by Peter Matthiessen was a great book along similar lines, focusing on the development of the Everglades. Highly recommended

Sent from my iPhone using Cruisers Sailing Forum
brownoarsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2016, 09:41   #32

Boat: Prior boats: Transpac 49; DeFever 54

Thanks for the suggestion, Browny... I'll check it out. Cheers, Phil
Capt Phil is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 10:27   #33

Boat: Cape Dory 31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ann T. Cate View Post
Yesterday's luck:

It happened in benign conditions, in daylight. No one was hurt. The traveler car broke. The boat caught all the important bits for repairing it. We used our double preventers to control the boom, and centered it, got the main down.

Not luck to have the double preventers. It is not the first time something has broken allowing the main to go apes**t--last time it was a shackle--but they are intentional, we've had 'em since Jim fitted them a few boats ago while he was single hand racing.

Ann
I'm a big fan of double preventers. I rig them whenever headed offshore. Mine are four part tackles led to camcleats in the cockpit. It's nice having absolute control over the boom when you're a singlehander.
Orion Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-01-2016, 12:05   #34

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Quote:
Originally Posted by Orion Jim View Post
I'm a big fan of double preventers. I rig them whenever headed offshore. Mine are four part tackles led to camcleats in the cockpit. It's nice having absolute control over the boom when you're a singlehander.
Yes, for us, an absolute must!

Ann
Old 08-04-2016, 10:34   #35

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Quote:
Originally Posted by hamburking View Post
. Did you forget we took all the good islands from you in the war of 1812?
LOL. I just saw this.

Actually, you (and I'm combining Brits and Canadians here) failed to adhere to the stipulations of cessation at the end of the Revolutionary War and kept your troops in Oswego for more than a decade.

AND, despite Jay's Treaty, refused to give up Carleton Island.

Now, I refuse to agree with you concerning Canada's retention of the better islands. There are some nice islands on the NY side. However, my argument in general is weak and disappointing, so I'll not take it further.

Without jest, there really are nice islands on the US side, problem is they are privately owned and inaccessible, whereas the Canadians have done a stellar job in making their islands available to all.

Now, back on topic...

I arrived into Oswego for Harbor Fest and dropped anchor. My mates had a three boat raft not far from me, so over I motored for the first celebratory cocktail.

No sooner did I grab the toerail I noted one of my mates was rather despondent. This was the opening hours of HarborFest, no time or place to be despondent!

He explained that after anchoring he leaned over the transom only to have his brand new, and expensive, Oakleys head for Davey Jones Locker. Gone forever. Now, back then Oakleys were the glasses owned by only one person you knew, rather like a Ferrari.

I asked "about where was the boat then?" "Well" he said "about here." Now, we all now what that means to an anchored boat. Even given an absolutely constant breeze-driven pull (and thus distance from) the anchor, even a few degree swing means ten, twenty, or more meters.

"I'll go get my dive gear" I glumly resigned. "Don't bother, you'll never find them" he sadly admitted. But I did anyway.

My first dive to the bottom brought me into a tangle of weed on a muddy bottom in four meters of water. The weeds were thick; I tried to move them, but it was soooo hard even to get a glimpse of the bottom.

Ah! There they are! I reached down to a reflective object and pulled it from the mud and weeds. Nope, a decade old beer can. Time for air.

I surfaced with a host of bodies leaning over watching me (all, of course, enjoying their cocktails while mine was yet gestating). A wave of laughter. See! You'll never find them!

I dove a second time. Again, weeds everywhere, grabbing my arms and legs and obscuring the bottom. Again, I pulled away weeds, stirring the mud bottom.

And then- a meter away- a meter wide clearing absent of any growth. And, no kidding- a strong ray of sunshine penetrating just that hole in the aquatic forest. And, smack dab in the middle- Oakleys.

My cocktail was soon in hand, accompanied by a great hurrah.
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 18:21   #36

That is a great way to make your own luck, and I believe it to be very truer. I am going to save this post for my son to read in about 20yrs when he will need and hopefully understand it
danblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 21:23   #37

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Tetepare:

Great story!

Isolated reef in the South Pacific. Trade wind anchorage behind reef in good firm white sand. Bad thump noise in the middle of the night, followed by horrible vibration. Wind gen now minus one of three blades. Off wind gen.

Morning comes, and then long about noon,Jim began the hunt, just snorkeling in the attempt at a search pattern. Looking, looking, and then, perhaps 60 feet from the boat, in a smooth, clear patch, was a familiar black shape. Lying in about 20-25 ft. And, it was re-usable, too!

Ann
Old 10-04-2016, 00:01   #38

My amazing luck? I've got a wife that I've been married to for 30 years that loves sailing and hates motoring!

Sent from my iPad using Cruisers Sailing Forum
Training Wheels is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-04-2016, 16:44   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by danblack View Post
That is a great way to make your own luck, and I believe it to be very truer. I am going to save this post for my son to read in about 20yrs when he will need and hopefully understand it
That was in relation to the black box story
danblack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-04-2016, 11:39   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by seasick View Post
1977 pre-electronic navigation aids:

Call it what you may; a timely occurrence, divine intervention, coincidence or just one very lucky turn of events but this astronomical occurrence has transformed the way I have looked at the world ever since. I have good reason to believe that my life would have ended then and there upon the jagged coral reef with tons of ocean pounding my little ship to pieces were it not for the timing of this meteor. There is someone or something watching out for me and I give to it my credence and gratitude every day.

Merry Christmas to All and to All a Good Night,

Curtis Ciszek
Loved this story Curtis. You became the light that you wished to see.
Deep Blue Blues is offline   Reply With Quote