Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-10-2009, 15:09   #46

Boat: Dolphin 460 Catamaran WONDERLAND
Press On Jessica - No matter what "they" say to you

"It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man (or young girl) stumbled, or when the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself (herself) in a worth cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his (her) place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." Theodore Roosevelt
Old 15-10-2009, 17:04   #47

Quote:
neelie, he say:
pity there are not more of us that take an open minded view.
Being open-minded means being open to the evidence from all sides before making your judgment; it doesn't mean never making a judgment. An open-minded person can still weigh the evidence, then judge that an idea has no merit.

Quote:
Factor, in response to sneuman, he say:
OK - can you keep the negativity for the Fail thread - and the obnoxious unfunny Goat thread? theres a good chap.
  1. David was commenting from a position of was neutrality, not negativity. He was being dispassionate and objective. He has a very good point that I had overlooked 'til now: there is some socio-psychological pressure/expectation here, and youth are particularly susceptible to it. The parents, of course, are invested in her success from a safety standpoint, but have a dog in the fight as far as the reflection on them goes, as well, and that has to be factored in. Thank-you, David.
  2. Not that he needs my defense, but an ad hominem attack on David personally is off-topic; being condescending and dismissive doesn't address his point.
If this is a "positive Jessica Watson" thread, as is the OP's intention, it still needs thoughtful neutral observations, which will function as fresh air, not cold water, on the topic.
Old 16-10-2009, 03:11   #48
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)
Quote:
Originally Posted by Keegan View Post
"It's not the critic who counts, not the man who points out how the strong man stumbled, or when the doer of deeds could have done better. The credit belongs to the man who is actually in the arena; whose face is marred by dust and sweat and blood; who strives valiantly; who errs and comes short again and again; who knows the great enthusiasms, the great devotions and spends himself (herself) in a worth cause; who at the best, knows in the end the triumph of high achievement; and who at the worst if he fails, at least fails while daring greatly, so that his (her) place shall never be with those cold and timid souls who know neither victory or defeat." Theodore Roosevelt

Teddy Roosevelt wasn’t exactly known for his parenting skills.
For instance, he welcomed WW1 as an “opportunity” for his country, and his (4) sons.

After the War, TR would write a friend:
"[My sons] have done pretty well, haven't they? Quentin killed... Archie crippled... Ted gassed...."
I think Kermit eventually commited suicide.

Old 16-10-2009, 04:59   #49
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer
Quote:
Originally Posted by surfingminniwinni View Post
Thought I'd post this pic, to get this back up & running seeing how the negative thread is raging away. Why do people enjoy negativity?

Jess+3.jpg (image)

Nice Pic
I am a little confused by this thread even though I was the one to suggest starting a positive thread on Jessica’s voyage.

To me, it should not be an “attempt” that she succeeds or fails in, but a voyage of discovery that we all should envy her just a little bit.

Whatever happens, she is not an icon of anything that should be judged as gospel but one individual off on a great adventure with unfortunately a bit too much hype.

The real question is… if we see or read something that in our opinion might cause her long term problems…(like poorly reefed mainsail)…. would it be a constructive note or a negative comment to point out that she needs to tidy up her sails a bit better, to avoid long term wear?

I only want her to do well.
Old 17-10-2009, 10:14   #50

She is scheduled to sail in a couple of hours. Anyone know of a reliable online link where we can watch her departure live?
Old 17-10-2009, 16:49   #51
Marine Service Provider

Boat: 1965 Cal 30
She is on her way. She left the dock in Middle Harbor at about (9:00 am) Sunday.

That's all I could note in my article. There are a few more details here.

I'm not in the debate; I just wish her well and will follow her progress.
Old 17-10-2009, 19:22   #52

Boat: Irwin sloop
Godspeed Jessica
Old 17-10-2009, 19:39   #53

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Ditto

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 17-10-2009, 20:31   #54

Boat: Beneteau 393
You can watch her for a little while at least on this site:

Live Ships Map - AIS - Vessel Traffic and Positions

She's due east of Sidney, heading east...look for the purple yacht near a tanker heading westbound. You can click on the icon and should see PINK LADY and a pic of her boat, along with some other info...

Now debating whether she should go is pointless, so we wish her safe travels and the best of luck!
Old 17-10-2009, 20:48   #55

Boat: Irwin 41 CC Ketch
Cool link Geo..but I cant locate her..there are 3 yachts none bear her name.

Relationships are everything to me...everything else in life is just a tool to enhance them.
Old 17-10-2009, 20:51   #56

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
Quote:
Originally Posted by GeoPowers View Post

Now debating whether she should go is pointless, so we wish her safe travels and the best of luck!
Very true.

Thought of this poem when I read she had left:
I'm youth, I'm joy, I'm a little bird that has broken out of the egg.
-James M. Barrie

Godspeed Jessica and Pink Lady,
Erika
Old 17-10-2009, 20:54   #57

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post

Yeah, I had a little trouble at first, too. I had to zoom in and then zoom back out- right now she's about 11 nm from the entrance to Sidney harbor.

PS I can't claim credit on the link- it's the same one that someone else here posted to show the track history after her collision during sea trials.
Old 17-10-2009, 21:00   #58

Boat: 50ft powercat, light,long and low powered
Quote:
Originally Posted by Stillraining View Post
She almost hit another ship, steered towards it even. Same side as well

Old 17-10-2009, 21:16   #59

Boat: Pacific Seacraft a Crealock 34
I think that vessel was moored, do you all moor offshore like we do in the Gulf of Mexico? The "ship" is going 0.9 knots which sounds like she is standing offshore. Jessica has turned north for the equator at 3.1 knots, so must be beating? Does anyone know her weather conditions?
Cheers,
Erika
Old 17-10-2009, 21:24   #60

According to the AIS info, the merchant's been going 1 kt for about 6 hours- maybe waiting for a pilot, clearance, who knows. Looking at that and the times along the track history, I don't see her as almost hitting that ship at all.

FWIW, I thought the same as you before I looked a little closer. Glad to see we were wrong.
Closed Thread

Tags
jessica watson