Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 23-08-2010, 06:31   #46

Boat: Wauquiez Pretorien 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by Get-a-Life View Post
The only problem with foreign countries is that they are full of foreigners!

On our voyage of discovery I enjoyed the sailing more than anything, could easily give the people a miss.

In the end the best part of a journey for me was coming home.

Ken
Sorry to hear that. Mind if I ask where you stopped?
Old 23-08-2010, 07:17   #47

Location: Landlocked for now in Medicine Hat, Alberta, Canada
Boat: Home building project just starting.
George Mallory is famously quoted as having replied to the question "Why do you want to climb Mount Everest?" with the retort: "Because it's there."

I would love to attempt sailing around the world nonstop, alone. Just to know for myself that I can do it. That said I would also love to run up and down the coast lines of the word with my girlfriend (if she is still on speaking terms with me after trying a RTW without her), my best friend, and my old dog.

I think six months to a year alone having to do everything for yourself could do a lot of people some good! It could do some damage too, if your lid ain't battened down tight before you start it could really scatter your marbles being alone like that. Just think of the books you could read though! Or the hand carved trim and moldings you could do on your boat! Hey! That might be just the thing for me! When I finish my hull I'll just leave the inside empty! Get her rigged and pile all the supplies I'll need for the trip inside and all the wood to Finish her inside too by the time I make it home I'll have a completed boat!
Old 23-08-2010, 11:08   #48
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"
I always thought when I was in dreamland that one day I would buy a brand new Oyster and go pick it up in England, provision it, put some chic aboard as cook and sail off on a lonooooooooooooog passage to Australia. Pop into Sydney to show Mum the boat. Reprovision and then piss off to finish a lap.

Gimmee a brand new boat and I would prolly still wanna do it

Me +Boat +beer +food +cook

Why would I want to stop?

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-08-2010, 14:17   #49
CLOD

Boat: none
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
I always thought when I was in dreamland that one day I would buy a brand new Oyster and go pick it up in England, provision it, put some chic aboard as cook and sail off on a lonooooooooooooog passage to Australia. Pop into Sydney to show Mum the boat. Reprovision and then piss off to finish a lap.

Gimmee a brand new boat and I would prolly still wanna do it

Me +Boat +beer +food +cook

Why would I want to stop?

Was wondering what happened to the chic in the math, then I noted the chic was just the cook!
sailorboy1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 11:21   #50

Send a message via Skype™ to hThunder
hmm

Quote:
Originally Posted by psteele235 View Post
I just don't get it.

Surely sailing around the world to explore new places, meet new people, eat new foods, smell new smells, listen to new sounds etc is infinitely more satisfying than spending months alone at sea so that (if &) when you return you can say "I spent x months alone on a boat in the middle of the ocean, and now I am back again"?
This state of the soul and my character ... My father took me the first time under sail when I was 3 years old ... I'd like to do this ... I'd like to sail non stop ... But the maximum time that I can take - no longer than 1 month ... Then I go back to the big city and working again ... In order that would again in a few months to raise the sail ... Unfortunately, my travels directly tied to my finances. I do not like to be "economical" when I am sailing..
hThunder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 12:14   #51

Quote:
Originally Posted by Thorin View Post
George Mallory is famously quoted as having replied to the question "Why do you want to climb Mount Everest?" with the retort: "Because it's there."
But, the difference is that many people have climbed Everest. Many many more have run marathons with no hope of winning. Maybe, outside of races and record attempts, the motivation/attitude is similar, but a solo nonstop circumnavigation in an ordinary sailboat is a different order of magnitude.

I previously asked in this thread whether anyone could name even 3 people who had sailed solo nonstop RTW outside of races and record attempts. Maybe there are lots of people doing this just for fun all the time without publicity and fanfare, but I don't think so.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 26-08-2010, 14:32   #52

[QUOTE
I previously asked in this thread whether anyone could name even 3 people who had sailed solo nonstop RTW outside of races and record attempts. Maybe there are lots of people doing this just for fun all the time without publicity and fanfare, but I don't think so.[/QUOTE]

Good evening,

You are quite correct, not many people have done so, because it is not easy. That, I believe is why people see it as the ultimate challenge.

3 people who have done so outside the record books or races?

The Brit Les Powles. He was way North of 60 when he did it the first time somewhere in the mid-1980's. He went again a few years later. His boat was a homebuilt 36 odd foot Bruce Roberts design. Very basic boat.

Another Brit, David Scott-Cowper also did it non-stop on two seperate occasions. One East about, one West about. He sailed an S/S of about 40 foot.

A British girl called Lisa Clayton.

The Ausie, Jon Saunders did it a few times too. One just for fun with an S/S 34, the others for records of some sort. I think!

A German Horst Kyle (spelling?) did it Cape Town to Cape Town in the early 1980's. I am under correction but I think he did not go up to cross over the equator.

A Dutch guy called Pleun van der Lucht (spelling?)

A Japanes guy called Kenechi Hori. (again spelling?)

I seem to remember an American or two as well, again in fairly ordinary boats.

These trips were done before the days of internet webb sites so unless one was an avid reader of sailing mags at the time, they went by un noticed.

I met Les Powles in Lymington, England. One of the reasons why he went non stop was because he wanted to circumnavigate again (he had done a prior trip with stops) but could not afford the stops!

There are more, but you are correct, the names do not exactly role off my tongue. I will have to page through a few old mags to pick them up again.

Regards,

Banjo.
Banjo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 28-08-2010, 11:11   #53

Thanks for that, Banjo. It's more than I thought, although I think Scott-Cowper was both a racer and a record setter. Of course, no one ever knows quite what to do about Jon Sanders. It's not his fault that just about every time he sets foot on a boat he winds up setting some kind of record.

It may well be that outside of races and record attempts, no one has done it in over 20 years.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote