Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-02-2011, 06:16   #76

Boat: 1967 Alberg 35
Very sad. This can happen to any of us. I have a foot-looped 1/2" line within reach at the stern so that if hanging on the gunwale, in the water, have a chance to get back aboard. No one can be tethered all the time. It just can't happen but a rule I set is at least to always be tethered short when at the wheel so I can't be tossed overboard even if swatted by the boom or pooped. It's easy to install a separate eye, centered near the pedestal, so that being on the looser lifeline is not necessary. Have never tested whether I could get back aboard if tossed over amidships on the center lifelines with boat underway. I doubt it but guess it's better than watching the boat sail away. I guess it's just a risk of single-handing to try to minimize and always be aware of. Have completely covered decks, including rounded corners with Kiwi-Grip which will abrade your skin off but you're not slipping. This is good stuff.
smurphny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 19-02-2011, 05:36   #77
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleno View Post
Arno was my brother-in-law. He owns and operates a boat yard in Perth, Western Australia, where he has built and restored yachts for the last decade or so. He has made a few single handed open ocean trips that I know of, mostly in the Indian and Southern Oceans round the south-west of Western Australia.
He went to the US in December to inspect the Wampeter and returned to the US and bought the boat in mid January. He has been preparing it for the last couple of weeks.
He has a sister and four daughters in Australia.
Quote:
Originally Posted by John A View Post
How sad.

Please accept my condolence for you and your families loss. I'm sure that it was a tragic accident.
Forum members lets not turn this into another woulds, coulda, shoulda debate. Please.
Quote:
Originally Posted by alleno View Post
Thanks for all your thoughts. We still live in hope that Arno has found land somewhere and is recovering.
I am heartened by the discussion on making sailing safer. I will certainly turn some brainpower to the problem.
Thanks once again.
Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
Hi,

What a sad story!

Mark
Alleno, I have never meet you but I can say that I was a friend of Arno's and had my boat in his yard for a few years so my condolences to you and his family (especially Natalie, his only family member I have meet).

I have been off line for a few weeks and have only just caught up with this news.

The Arno I know was a man of action and a man of who turned his dreams into reality.

I must go to the yard to-morrow.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-02-2011, 01:39   #78

Boat: 1977 Cav 26
Quote:
Originally Posted by four winds View Post
Deploying the ladder from the water; very good idea that I can't believe I didn't think of myself.

Mine is secured with a snap shackle. Maybe I could simply fit a long release lanyard that reaches near the water level. Something to check on tomorrow after I clean the fuel filter.

sad to here,

A very basic saftey ladder, while sailing s/h,
one peace of 8' x 2'' or so, 3 strand rope,
splice a loop at each end of the rope, (for foot holes)
make one simple grannied knot with the rope around the pushpit deck conection on the back corner of the boat,
one loop hangs halfway down the side, with the other loop just in the water.
I fell off my boat once, and had a hand getting back on board,
coulden't have managed it buy myself
naggi is offline   Reply With Quote