Cruisers Forum

Closed Thread
  This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-02-2011, 14:27   #76

Boat: Rou-Coo is a 16 ft Canoe. A big Sister is in the planning stages!
Re: 'Quest' Crew Killed

First and foremost: "ITS THE PIRATE'S FAULT". There really isn't much point in divvying up the blame after that. Stop blaming the victims, the rescuers, the economic system, the deity or anything else. The pirates did it.
Old 22-02-2011, 14:30   #77
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, Jib Buoy.

Old 22-02-2011, 14:36   #78

Boat: 1999 Steel (Tom Collin's design)
Re: Pirates Vow Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
In the below article:

4 American hostages killed by Somali pirates - World news - Africa - Somalia - msnbc.com

I have a real problem with the pirates "spokesman" talking about how he was wronged because he has lost $110,000 investment for weapons and money paid in salaries for the pirate crew.

To not go flaming off on some past veiuws about the pirate issue cause etc I am just going to leave it at the quotes in the article and you judge!
Actualy, that is very very good news. For piracy to continue, it must remain profitable. If the pirates only get 1 million per successful act, but it costs them 110,000 per unsuccessful act, then we know that we need to make sure that they have 10 unsuccessful acts for every successful one. At that rate, the backers will be losing money, and will stop doing it, or run out of money.

I always assumed that their operating costs were MUCH lower than that, so to hear that it's that high, is a very good deal. There arn't many people in Somolia that can put up 100,000 on a losing venture!

Eighter way, that is the end of the piracy as a bussness.
Old 22-02-2011, 14:38   #79
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 'Quest' Crew Killed

Hi Jib Bouy.... Welcome to CF...
Give me a 37 - 45ftr and the requsite armoury and I'll happily be your 'Trojan Horse'... crew supplied... I think there's a nice steel boat going in Asia that'll do nicely...
http://www.pgyc.org/Images/Classified/CA-sy-makori.pdf
PM for mercenary rates and 'heads bonus'.... gorra raise boat funds somehow... and I'm to old for normal work... so back to my trade I guess...

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
Old 22-02-2011, 14:43   #80

Boat: Endeavour 37

The issue here is one of foriegn policy. Summary execution of pirates on the flight deck, might deter some piracy, but does nothing to help promote the idea of democracy in the region of the world we are attempting convert. Execution certainly will not bring an end to it. The US military must continue to walk the fine line, continue to speak softly, continue to attempt to negotiate and continue to use the big stick when it is the only alternative. IMHO the US should not allow pirates to take their hostages ashore. American vessels would be much less appealing targets if the pirates are aware that if caught there will be no ransome, only imprisonment for life or death if their hostages are not freed. The only way to truly reduce these occurences is to take the money out of the equation. If all countries took this same position, piracy as a means to an end would end very quickly.

Is there anyone here learned in the current criminal law of piracy outside of US waters?
Old 22-02-2011, 14:44   #81

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971

Boatman, I think you should start a thread and setup a paypal site. Btw, if you did actually do it, I might be temped to join you.
Old 22-02-2011, 14:45   #82

Thanks GordMay and Boatman.
Old 22-02-2011, 14:50   #83

Boat: 1970 23' O'day pop-top

I just got a great deal on a SS Remington 300.
I wonder how it shoots over water?
Just kidding, i guess.
Old 22-02-2011, 14:51   #84
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: 'Quest' Crew Killed

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv5l View Post
Boatman, I think you should start a thread and setup a paypal site. Btw, if you did actually do it, I might be temped to join you.
ROFL.... doubt it'd get many donations mate... it'd take 1/4mil minimum to set up... but it'd be interesting to see how long I lasted before being detained for 'Crimes against Humanity'

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Human Rights only matter when it's politically expedient..
Old 22-02-2011, 14:53   #85

Boat: Marine Trader 40' Sedan Trawler, 1978. WATER TORTURE

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolf the Rotten View Post
I'm upset that our Navy was close enough to hear the crew being shot and did nothing about it.
Way, WAY off the mark. "Rotten" is right.
Old 22-02-2011, 14:56   #86

Boat: Trapper 300

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bruce Johnson View Post
Sad news indeed. I don't think giving captured pirates 30 years of comfort, TV, and 3 square meals a day is any deterrent to those still out there. This is the penalty one of them recently received.
Haven't sailed that part of the world, yet. With the hazards known, would it have been possible to avoid the area entirely instead of sailing right in to refuel?

Knowing what I do about the criminal mind, I suspect the pirates lurk in a bottle neck of some sort, where vessels are forced to sail thru a specific area.

I'm probably sailing in that direction next year. What is the safest route?
These pawn pirates are just doing the bidding of their paymasters. They come from a country with no civil society, no economy, no opportunity, a somewhat seventeenth century bedlam. Remember as has been recorded in cases of pirates of that era cutting open a victim at one end of the deck, tying his intestine to a fixed point and forcing him to walk backward while stringing out his innards.....and these were Europeans! A mere ten generations ago. Now add a world that presents to this peasant a vision of plenty, places that are safe for him and his family, where he could make a living, have a car, food, etc. add some khat chewing to addle the brain a bit, some easy money, nothing else to do....and most of these peons are young. Either the UN does something or you meet this seventeenth century scourge with a brutishness equal to it on the high seas. Back then they were hung and in the case of Black Jack displayed for all to see.
Old 22-02-2011, 15:03   #87
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters
Re: Pirates Vow Revenge

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
In the below article:

4 American hostages killed by Somali pirates - World news - Africa - Somalia - msnbc.com

I have a real problem with the pirates "spokesman" talking about how he was wronged because he has lost $110,000 investment for weapons and money paid in salaries for the pirate crew.

To not go flaming off on some past veiuws about the pirate issue cause etc I am just going to leave it at the quotes in the article and you judge!
Yeah, I'm with you. That really lit my torch.

My good sense and calm demeanor keeps me from replying:

Quote:
I'll be the judge alright, and jury, and executioner!
OOOOPS! Said that out loud!
Old 22-02-2011, 15:06   #88
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by nv5l View Post
I think you have something there, I could imagine a special yacht built to handle 50 cal and rpgs that can go fast and get the bad guys, funded by donations, I wonder if that would strike terror in those guys if a dozen of their boats never return-
Old 22-02-2011, 15:15   #89

Boat: Fuji 45'
Send a message via Yahoo to DiverChick71 Send a message via Skype™ to DiverChick71

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Give me a 37 - 45ftr and the requsite armoury and I'll happily be your 'Trojan Horse'... crew supplied... I think there's a nice steel boat going in Asia that'll do nicely...
PM for mercenary rates and 'heads bonus'.... gorra raise boat funds somehow... and I'm to old for normal work... so back to my trade I guess...
Willing to join you.
Old 22-02-2011, 15:16   #90

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Sign me up Cap'n ......lol welcome Jib Bouy
Closed Thread