Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-07-2019, 05:03   #166

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33
Re: Proposed cost increase to transit Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by endlesspursuit View Post
Funny your friends never learned Spanish. My sister in law in a Zonian. And I have meet many of her friends form the zone. They all speak Spanish just like a local. Maybe better. Great translators since my Spanglish is weak at best. We are all pushing 60 for a generation comparison.
Many Zonies never learned Spanish as it was not necessary, in fact it was looked down upon by many, it was like living in little America...no Spanish needed.

It may also very by when & where they lived in thd zone and job functions. I will have to discuss that more w Zonie friends.
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 05:12   #167
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Proposed cost increase to transit Panama Canal

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
Many Zonies never learned Spanish as it was not necessary, in fact it was looked down upon by many, it was like living in little America...no Spanish needed.
Sounds very much like the Brits on the Spanish Costa's..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 16:59   #168

Quote:
Originally Posted by belizesailor View Post
So, why not send your comments in the requested format?
Of course we did so. I was just letting others know about that.
I think it's great that Panamá runs the canal for profit but a duplication of the fees doesn't seem to respond to a duplication in costs.
I think Panamá might benefit touristically by being a yacht friendly country, even for the smaller boats with a smaller budget. It's my point of view being Argentinian and sufering our burocracy that raises taxes and fees in general, to support a populist system.
Virginia y Kelo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-07-2019, 23:31   #169

Boat: Wildcat 35, Hobie 33

Quote:
Originally Posted by Virginia y Kelo View Post
Of course we did so. I was just letting others know about that.

I think it's great that Panamá runs the canal for profit but a duplication of the fees doesn't seem to respond to a duplication in costs.

I think Panamá might benefit touristically by being a yacht friendly country, even for the smaller boats with a smaller budget. It's my point of view being Argentinian and sufering our burocracy that raises taxes and fees in general, to support a populist system.
Im not a fan of bureaucracy, but small boats have historically been a money losing annoyance for the canal. Even at the increased rates the Canal is still the best value option. For that reason I dont think the increased rates will reduce small boat traffic at all (aging baby boomers swallowing the anchor will though). Maybe some good input will convince them to not raise rates quite so much, but I doubt it.

Panama is not an overly bureacratic country and Ive always found Panamanian officials easy to work with.

Panama is quite yacht friendly with a 1 year cruising permit and a 6 month tourist visa by default (you can also get a marinero visa of 1 year to match cruising permit). Cruising permit is renewable indefinately. A short duration cruising permit at a reduced cost would be a good thing for those only transiting.

Transiting does add up though if you factor in marina expenses on either end.

(Argentina is on our list of countries to visit)
belizesailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2019, 15:45   #170

Boat: 1978 True North 34

Received a courtesy response letter from the Panama Canal Authority. Despite ours and others inputs on the proposed toll increases, their proposal stands and transit fees will go up as proposed.

Oh, well. Nothing ventured, nothing gained. Better to try and fail, than not have tried at all!
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	01 Carta Peajes Joseph Marilyn Abbott.jpg
Views:	125
Size:	223.9 KB
ID:	199269  
Joe Abbott is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
canal, Panama, Panama Canal