Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-04-2022, 08:39   #1

Palm Beach-West End

Hello All,

Anyone jumping off Lake Worth for West end this week looking for a buddy boat?

Thanks!
Jim
merrja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 08:48   #2

Re: Palm Beach-West End

Perhaps leaving Monday or Tues?
Old 30-04-2022, 08:56   #3

Jim,

Please tell us what kind of boat you have/speed you travel.

Hard for a sailboat and fast trawler to buddy boat.

Thanks.
Wolfe10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-04-2022, 11:27   #4

Hello,

We are 47' Catalina and will have to head south early am then turn east... based on the winds I'm guessing a lot of motoring for us once we turn east...maybe 5.5 knots so I'm guessing you'll be far faster
Old 30-04-2022, 12:07   #5

merrja,

Is this your first Gulf Stream crossing? I am asking, because one usually chooses a single course/bearing to a point to the south of West End, Grand Bahamas that with the lift of the Gulf Stream takes them to West End on that single heading. Plenty of charts/graphs on this based on boat speed.

Also, if your destination is onward in the Abacos, from W Palm, you might consider entering the bank around Memory Rock and progressing east with potential stop at Great Sale Cay.

And, with a Catalina 47' would think your boat speed would be closer to 6 knots even with the head wind and head seas predicted for tomorrow, Monday or Tuesday: https://www.ventusky.com/?p=26.42;-7...=20220501/1800. That would allow a daylight to daylight crossing, though we prefer leaving around 2- 3 AM and from Fort Lauderdale if the forecast is favorable.
Old 30-04-2022, 13:00   #6

Hi Wolfe,

Thanks very much for the help, info and Advice. I had considered going straight, but the advice I was given was to start a bit south planning for the north drift of the stream.. bad advice?

We came down outside for 3 days with the wind on the bow we did about 5.3 kts into 4-5 foot seas so I agree my estimate on the speed is a bit conservative.

A bonus is in all likelihood we'll leave at o'dark thirty Monday with 15-20 kts SE in the morning moving to E later in the day so we can sail across close hauled pointed due E.

I Like the Idea of crossing at memory rock, but thought I should check and see how bad the Bahamas navionics charts are first, may I ask your thoughts on that matter?

Thanks so very much and we owe you a drink!!!

Jim
Old 30-04-2022, 13:20   #7

Replies in SOLID LETTER CAPS

Quote:
Originally Posted by merrja View Post
Hi Wolfe,

I had considered going straight, but the advice I was given was to start a bit south planning for the north drift of the stream.

YES, PICK THAT IMAGINARY DESTINATION SOUTH OF YOUR DESTINATION TO OBTAIN THE HEADING YOU WILL TAKE FOR THE WHOLE CROSSING (WITH POSSIBLY MINOR CORRECTION AT THE VERY END). THE GULF STREAM WILL MAKE YOUR "NORTHELY" FOR YOU.

A bonus is in all likelihood we'll leave at o'dark thirty Monday with 15-20 kts SE in the morning moving to E later in the day so we can sail across close hauled pointed due E.

EVEN FROM FORT LAUDERDALE, YOUR HEADING TO WEST END WILL BE A LITTLE SOUTH OF EAST. FROM WEST PALM YOU WILL BE ON AN EVEN MORE SOUTHERLY HEADING. WERE IT ME, I WOULD MOVE DOWN TO FORT LAUDERDALE TOMORROW FOR A SHORTER AND LESS "WIND AND WAVES IN YOUR FACE" CROSSING ON MONDAY (AND I AM NOT SUGGESTING MONDAY-- DON'T KNOW YOUR SCHEDULE OR TOLERANCE FOR ADVERSE WIND/SEAS).

I Like the Idea of crossing at memory rock, but thought I should check and see how bad the Bahamas navionics charts are first, may I ask your thoughts on that matter?

YOUR GPS SHOULD BE ACCURATE ENOUGH FOR YOU TO ENTER JUST SOUTH OF MEMORY ROCK IF YOU CHOOSE TO DO SO RATHER THAN CLEAR CUSTOMS AT WEST END RATHER THAN, SAY GREEN TURTLE CAY. PLEASE CONFIRM FOR YOUR GPS.

Jim
Old 30-04-2022, 14:09   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfe10 View Post
Replies in SOLID LETTER CAPS
Excellent and thank you for your help!!