Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 08-10-2016, 17:44   #16

Boat: Pearson 365 Sloop and 9' Fatty Knees.
Re: Pacific Cruiser Murder Saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
Mexico's cool innit..
Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sc must not live in mexico, then, as here you are guilty until proven innocent.

but yes i love i there. my check makes it thru to end of month --is magical.....
No...I don't live full time in Mx. I go back and forth periodically during hurricane season...and yes...I was referring to the U.S.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Celestialsailor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 17:47   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by zeehag View Post
sc must not live in mexico, then, as here you are guilty until proven innocent.

but yes i love i there. my check makes it thru to end of month --is magical.....
In France it is your guilt is unknown until the investigating judge has decided. Pretrial detention is soooo long there. At least the food was good.
Old 08-10-2016, 17:51   #18
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pacific Cruiser Murder Saga

Quote:
Originally Posted by Celestialsailor View Post
No...I don't live full time in Mx. I go back and forth periodically during hurricane season...and yes...I was referring to the U.S.
In that case.. only if you can get bail..

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".

"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 17:52   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by SV DestinyAscen View Post
In pretty much any judicial system - whether the trier of fact is a panel of judges or lay jury - running from the law never helps your case.

As for reporting her death - we don't really know how she died. Perhaps he had hoped it would seem like an accident. Most homicides are not committed by rational calculating people, it is why there are so few first degree murder convictions as opposed to lesser degree/manslaughter charges.

I think it is plainly obvious to anyone cruising that if someone aboard wish to do you ill, they can just get up while you're on watch - knock you over the head and throw you overboard and go back down for a "nap." Your companions probably won't even know better.

The Tongan authorities deserve some credit for keeping the details of her cause of death confidential.
Not that I'm advocating guilty or innocent, I was just looking at the possibility of him having a reason to run. You're right...it doesn't look good. But the alternative might have bee a Kangaroo court with lost evidence.
Another scenario might have been he was past out drunk while his wife fell overboard in the anchorage and could not get back on the boat which the authorities could have been seen as negligence. We'll have to wait and see what the investigating powers to be come up with. In the US if they could not present a case with tangible evidence, they would have to let him go. Banana republics, maybe not.
Hopefully, we'll get more information as time goes on. But I would think if it was premeditated murder, He would go out on a multi-day sail and she would go overboard. That kind of "accident" is not uncommon.
"Life is not a journey to the grave with the intention of arriving safely in a pretty and well-preserved body, but rather to skid in broadside, thoroughly used up, totally worn out, and loudly proclaiming: Wow - what a ride!"
Old 08-10-2016, 18:25   #20

Quote:
Well...I live in a country where you are innocent until proven guilty.
This depends on the media coverage. Media has turned into an opinion machine and no longer reports just the news.
surb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 18:25   #21
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Pacific Cruiser Murder Saga

Quote:
Not that I'm advocating guilty or innocent, I was just looking at the possibility of him having a reason to run. You're right...it doesn't look good. But the alternative might have bee a Kangaroo court with lost evidence.
Another scenario might have been he was past out drunk while his wife fell overboard in the anchorage and could not get back on the boat which the authorities could have been seen as negligence. We'll have to wait and see what the investigating powers to be come up with. In the US if they could not present a case with tangible evidence, they would have to let him go. Banana republics, maybe not.
Hopefully, we'll get more information as time goes on. But I would think if it was premeditated murder, He would go out on a multi-day sail and she would go overboard. That kind of "accident" is not uncommon.
He was likely being held in jail because he was a 'flight risk'.. a fact he's proved.#

Tonga a former protectorate of Britain, adopted the English common law system including the jury system, as its own. Jury trials have been a feature of the Tongan legal system for more than 100 years. As has been noted, in Tonga, ‘One of the hallmarks of a free and civil society is the existence of a judicial system that is independent, respected and protected. The right for an accused person to have a jury trial is one of the features of such a judicial system. This is a value that was recognised by King Siaosi Tupou I, the founder of modern and civil Tonga, when he created Tonga’s Constitution in 1875.’4

You can't beat a people up for 75 years and have them say.. "I Love You.. ".

"It is better to die standing proud, than to live a lifetime on ones knees.."
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 18:39   #22

Quote:
This depends on the media coverage. Media has turned into an opinion machine and no longer reports just the news.
surb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-10-2016, 20:43   #23

Lets hope justice is done then.
Old 08-10-2016, 20:51   #24

Boat: PSC Orion 27

Quote:
Or can pay enough money to be innocent. O.J. springs to mind.

Sent from a boat somewhere
goat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 01:10   #25

Boat: 81 Hunter Cherubini 27

Whether or not he is guilty, I can understand the desire to make a run for it. Laws and investigation procedures vary across the world and are not always in line with one's own country's legal practices. And like most legal systems, many of the laws, statutes, procedures are, at best, vague to the un-indoctrinated (meaning that if you ain't a lawyer in that country, you don't know much, if anything). And getting good honest answers is difficult.

I currently live in Egypt where if one finds a body floating in the Nile, buried in the desert, or in your neighbor's apartment...the general rule-of-thumb held by the police is that the person that found said body is the primary suspect. Lacking compelling evidence otherwise (i.e. natural causes, disease, suicide, witnesses coming forward, etc.) a murder conviction is almost certainly guaranteed. Guilty until proven innocent is the rule here. Somebody has to be blamed.

A bit off topic but I was out at a Roman era site a few years ago about 75 Km from the Red Sea coast taking some pics and measurements (used to do a bit of archaeological work to assist colleges abroad and would go out on my own to provide follow-up data). Dog, my desert companion (found him in the desert when he was 3-months old and never told me his name...so he's just Dog) smelled something interesting and started digging. First thing that came up was bits of cloth, and not Bedouin garb, and then a slightly desiccated arm. Grabbed Dog and got the heck outta there. Later, stopping at a Bedouin camp to drop off sugar, tea, and some canned meat, mentioned that I had found something "interesting" at this place. Through typical Arabic nuances was told to forget about it. It would be in the best interests of everyone in the area. As the old Ma'aza Bedouin Sheikh told me: "The desert is full of holes....not all of them are empty." A warning, as well as a truism when you venture into places unknown...
Old 09-10-2016, 03:21   #26
ejs

Boat: Leopard 48

There is a bit more evidence reported here than the L&A article implied.

see;

http://www.looptonga.com/content/american-court-causing-death-wife-tonga

The link didn't work, here is what it said.

The husband of a woman who was found dead in a yacht in Vavaʻu on July 7 has appeared before Magistrate Paula Tatafu in the Neiafu district court today

The 54-year-old man from Florida, United States has been charged with the manslaugher of his 56-year-old Canadian wife.
The accused remains in Police custody. Police have also seized and impounded the yacht, the Sea Oak.
Vavaʻu Police Superintendent Netane Falakiseni told Kaniva News this morning Police arrested the man after an autopsy established the deceased had suffered what appeared to be severe bruising to her body.
He said Police have also talked to eyewitneses who claimed they saw an incident near Puataukanave wharf in which the accused allegedly beat the victim.
Earlier reports said the husband told Police he found her wife dead when he went to wake her up on Thursday.
Falakiseni said the woman’s body is now being kept at Ngu Hospital for further post mortems today.
The couple arrived in Neiafu on 26 May.
While in Vavaʻu they were staying on their yacht and were expected to depart Tonga next month on 21 August.

Eric
ejs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2016, 15:36   #27

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

Well, I'd imagine that an autopsy could determine the cause of death. Aggravated assault in public followed by death a possibility.

Too bad. Poor dear.

Ann
Old 09-10-2016, 16:34   #28
CF Adviser

Boat: Van Helleman Schooner 65ft StarGazer

Yes...I feel sorry for their families who must now prepare themselves for bad or very bad news
Pelagic is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
cruise, cruiser