Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-08-2015, 15:02   #31

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida
Re: Oyster Problems?

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
So was that a Freudian slip or do people actually spend a lot of money on your boat?

It was a typo, i.e., our boats. Although I would be fine if others wanted to...
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 15:08   #32

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Didn't Oyster move some of its production, especially the larger hulls, to Turkey? If I remember correctly they changed the build process of the hulls as well. It will be interesting to see the details of the postmortem if they are ever released.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 15:29   #33

Boat: a sailing boat

This explains. Turkey is in fact known for cheap lemons.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 15:36   #34

Boat: Oyster 53

After several years of ownership I have to say we are impressed with the design and engineering of our Oyster 53. She is really a great boat: comfortable at sea or anchor, reliable and looks great to boot.

The only complaint I have about Oysters is the crushing cost of ownership!

Aboard in Samoa now and loving it (the wonderful island and the boat).

Cheers.

Dhillen
Old 15-08-2015, 15:41   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
The only complaint I have about Oysters is the crushing cost of ownership!

If it's not too personal, could you please expand on your statement?
cards26 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 15:52   #36

Boat: Jeanneau SO 43 DS

Ken, I believe this latest loss was from July 2015--not the one you were thinking of.
Prairie Chicken is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 15:56   #37

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dhillen View Post
After several years of ownership I have to say we are impressed with the design and engineering of our Oyster 53. She is really a great boat: comfortable at sea or anchor, reliable and looks great to boot.
You must be one of the ones in denial, in fact expert at it. But only because you own an Oyster. The deniers who own other brands are merely advanced rationalizers, but not expert. Pretty sure I know this because I read it on the internet.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 16:37   #38

Boat: Alden 50, Sarasota, Florida

Quote:
Originally Posted by Exile View Post
You must be one of the ones in denial, in fact expert at it. But only because you own an Oyster. The deniers who own other brands are merely advanced rationalizers, but not expert. Pretty sure I know this because I read it on the internet.
What we have here is an example of reading it but apparently not understanding it.
S/V Illusion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 17:29   #39

Boat: CSY 44 Tall rig Sold!

This is just a rumor, but in a spanish fórum they say this, a Salvamento Maritimo leak , that mean SAR crews or just a crew say something about the boat loose the keel and turn turtle, and other say they are sailing close in a área with Almadrabas , translate is like a Tuna trap deploy it by fishermans around the coast , the Almadrabas are really tricky if you never be caught in one, i be there, in a full moon night crossing Gibraltar and around Almeria i just get stuck in one, time agoo they are build it like a huge Spiral of Steel wires and buoys , sometimes the spiral is 1 or 2 miles in size, i mean they are fukking big in the área, when you get traped in one there is no way out , and the wires are preety thick in size, i cant imagine this is the reason, by the way Salvamento Maritimo the spanish SAR make a statement to the insurance Company requesting to remove the wreck , the insurance claim they want to refloat it for future investigations.
neilpride is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 17:29   #40

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time

Quote:
This explains. Turkey is in fact known for cheap lemons.
My post explained nothing of this sort and not what I had in mind. If in fact my information is correct, and I believe I read it on the Oyster web site, then what I was thinking is a new design and a new production facility and a new production method leaves lots of room for error.

That and a grounding of which we have no idea how hard it was.
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 17:51   #41

Boat: Bristol 47.7

Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
What we have here is an example of reading it but apparently not understanding it.
Not understanding is really only a problem for Bristol owners. As an owner of an Alden, I'm surprised you didn't already know that, but perhaps you just didn't want to offend. But thanks to you, I am beginning to see that how skillful one is at rationalizing their boat problems is uniquely dependent on which brand of boat they happen to own, and of course on how much money they happened to spend on its purchase. Such relevant & important criteria must always supersede otherwise trivial matters such as a mfg.'s reputation, owner maintenance, and those pesky seamanship skills. Yeah, you're probably right -- hitting an iceberg & abandoning on account of a typhoon really speaks more to the poor build quality of an Oyster than it does to how the boat is being run.
Exile is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 23:39   #42
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Didn't Oyster move some of its production, especially the larger hulls, to Turkey? If I remember correctly they changed the build process of the hulls as well. It will be interesting to see the details of the postmortem if they are ever released.
Only the production of the Oyster 125, of which only one has been built for the former owner of the company. The Oyster 100ft might also be built in Turkey. Otherwise ,all Oysters except for just a few that were built in New Zealand in the early 2000's, are and have been built in England.
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-08-2015, 23:52   #43
cruiser

Quote:
Originally Posted by 44'cruisingcat View Post
So you know what caused the sinking then? Surprising, as it seems even Oyster themselves don't yet.
Quote:
Originally Posted by S/V Illusion View Post
In a world when people spend a lot of money on our boat, denial seems the most common answer here. Or, it was the operator's fault. Rationalization is an interesting reaction. Apparently, oyster owners are expert at it.
From the article:
‘Oyster has no reason to believe that any other yachts in the range are in any way at risk. The structures and mouldings of the other Oyster 825s (two currently on the water and three in build) are being investigated to ensure that these yachts are safe, seaworthy and built to the exacting design standards that Oyster adopts.’
Read more at Oyster Yacht sank after 'incident that compromised hull integrity'

Like I wrote earlier... None of us who own an Oyster are loosing any sleep over this incident.

The last time I checked... Our boat was a 53, and had not yet grown to be a one-of 82 footer that had been extended to a 90 footer.

Ken
Kenomac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 09:48   #44

Boat: 2017 Jeanneau 519

Gosh how upsetting for oyster owners to have to validate there boat because off another one. I mean as long as you're not sailing like the one that sunk your boat should be fine. Ops that's a production owners rational. never mind.

Sent from my SM-N910V using Cruisers Sailing Forum mobile app
scuba0_1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-08-2015, 13:24   #45

Boat: a sailing boat

"Oyster has no reason to believe that any other yachts in the range are in any way at risk. The structures and mouldings of the other Oyster 825s (two currently on the water and three in build) are being investigated to ensure that these yachts are safe, seaworthy and built to the exacting design standards that Oyster adopts."

"I trust my wife. I have hired a private detective to investigate if I am right."

;-)

Investigation into Cheeky Rafiki tragedy found that other boats of the same type had the same structural problems. Glad to hear 'Oyster has no reason to believe'. Even more glad they hired a detective.

Exacting design standards. Very broad term.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
oyster