Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-09-2010, 16:29   #61

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
I am told that a nearby marina got taxpayer money to set up a pump-out station, and now charges rather high fees for the pumpout use. Unfortunately, for larger boats that are confined to the lake, there are no alternatives to paying the fee. But, it doesn't seem right.
rgscpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 17:57   #62

Boat: 22' Avalon Pontoon - The WINE BARge
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jerry Woodward View Post
The boat I chartered in St Martin had no holding tank. So our only choice was to pump directly into the water. I hate discharging into an anchorage, and I suppose I could bag our waste, but I have a feeling I would be the only one. I'm assuming there is no holding tank, because there are no laws to prohibit dumping in a harbor. Do any of the islands have no dumping laws?

I'm wondering if other charter boats in the Virgins have holding tanks, or can we assume that everyone is dumping directly into the harbor?
That's a great question. We're thinking of chartering in the VI's next year.

Do other charter boats in the Virgins have holding tanks?

K
RiverRat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 18:05   #63
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by w1651 View Post
I don't understand the problem here. If you bought a sailboat I assume you know how to sail and want to sail.So sail three miles out and dump your tank.
3 miles = 6 to 8 hours sailing or motoring...

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 18:21   #64

Boat: International Etchells USA 125 Black Magic, Santana 20 475 Ghost, Hobie 33 3100 Bruja, dinghies,
Three miles isn't always three miles

There is the little pesky problem, that some have pointed out before, that three miles from your berth or mooring may not be three miles from any land. And it gets worse in jurisdictions that have been very aggressive in declaring no discharge areas. So, you might have to go 10 or 20 or more miles to discharge legally.

Abundant, free pump-outs would be a big help.

I also get the strong feeling I don't want to go swimming in any popular Caribbean harbours.
Old 14-09-2010, 19:12   #65

Send a message via Skype™ to Dreaming Yachtsman
rgscpat,

Bad news: Certainly not all boats have holding tanks and of those that do, not everyone uses them.

Good news: Currents in most island destinations are strong enough to flush all the nasties out of the anchorage relatively quickly.

We always use holding tanks when in a marina, harbor, or anchorage, at least for solid wastes. We "sneak" them overboard as mentioned in another thread only in an emergency when unable to get outside the harbor. We are not always 3 miles from land when dumping but do go outside the anchorage/harbor entrance and try to be in more than 100 feet of water.

I was scrubbing the bottom near the overboard discharge once when the wife forgot the discharge valve was open and flushed a brown stream right on top of me. I didn't die from it but was very careful to clean my ears well after finishing the cleaning job.
Dreaming Yachtsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 19:59   #66
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Now boatless :-(
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
3 miles = 6 to 8 hours sailing or motoring...
Uhhhhh..... You might need a faster boat...

Ex-Calif is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 20:05   #67

But neither an Etchells nor a Hobie Cat have holding tanks. But at least the Etchells class rules require two (his and hers) buckets.
Old 14-09-2010, 20:30   #68

Boat: Tartan 34C
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bash View Post
You guys are so far off our radar screen, as far as pressing environmental issues are concerned, that you haven't even made it to the list of issues we've chosen to ignore.
Priceless.....

John
Feral Cement is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 20:42   #69
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by rgscpat View Post
I am told that a nearby marina got taxpayer money to set up a pump-out station, and now charges rather high fees for the pumpout use.
The federal govenment does provide funding to individual states for pumpout stations and even pumpout boats, but the caveat is that they can charge no more than $10.00 for a pumpout. If the marina in question did receive grant money for its pumpout station and is charging more than that, they are in violation.
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 21:12   #70

Boat: Idylles 15.5
Send a message via Yahoo to Idylles15.5
I have to say I kinda amazed at some of the posts I've read on here. For Christ sakes we as boaters should be more concerned about the water then anybody. Dumping bags into the bay with kitty litter. Thats great pal but if everything in the bag isn't bio degradable whats the point. Here on Long Island we already have a problem with brown tides from golf course and landscape runoff, etc and so on, with all of the nitrogen and yes sewege treatment plants too. Many of the Marinas are in small bays such as Manhasset Bay or Oyster Bay, Northport etc. Since they are dead end bays they do not flush completely with every tide back into Long Island sound. The town of North hempstead supplies free pump out boats which will come right to your slip and tie up and pump you out. Usually you just tip the guy and they are very gracious. Even with this being free there are some people that are just too lazy to wait ten minutes until the boat can get to them when they are busy. The house boats are the worst offenders. Nasty. It's a shame to think you have to pull your boat out of it's slip and sail to a beach with clearer and cleaner water just to scrub your water line and bottom. It's 2010 people can we at least try to do the right thing. Read the book Sex live of Cannibals from Marteen Troost. He could even eat the lobsters or crabs off Kiribati because they were eating all of the islanders ****. Remeber that the next time you eat a blue claw out of your marina when you flush your crap overboard. As someone else mentioned look at the BVI S. Thanks to Sunsail and the Moorings and others the fish are feeding on crap too. NICE
Idylles15.5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 21:34   #71
Hull Diver

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Location: Under a boat, in a marina, in the San Francisco Bay
Quote:
Originally Posted by Idylles15.5 View Post
I have to say I kinda amazed at some of the posts I've read on here. For Christ sakes we as boaters should be more concerned about the water then anybody.
+1
fstbttms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-09-2010, 22:34   #72
Moderator... short for Cat Wrangler

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cal 28 Flush Deck
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ex-Calif View Post
Uhhhhh..... You might need a faster boat...

hey smarty pantses...

It's a LONG sail up around the penisula and out the gate and then 3 miles off shore... not all of us are berthed like some unnamed people who are *just* inside the gate and could, if they choose, make a break fer it pretty fast!

I figure 45 miles in say 7 hours... 6 or so miles an hour is is a fair average overall there and back!

ain't what ya do, it's the way that ya do it...
sarafina is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 00:29   #73

Distances... to empty that bladder or tank

In Sarafina's part of the world, you'd have to go about 22 miles from Coyote Pt. to get 3 miles outside the Gate... and folks in Stockton or Sacramento are probably looking at something more like at least 80 miles. Similarly huge distances to open ocean would apply to sailors in places like Kemah (Houston, Clear Lake, Seabrook), TX; Seattle (Tacoma, Olympia), WA; or Newport, RI. Unless you're already on your way to the ocean, it's probably waay cheaper to pay the pumpout fee, if there is one.
Old 15-09-2010, 01:18   #74

Boat: M/V Carquinez Coot
Quote:
Originally Posted by sarafina View Post
hey smarty pantses...

I figure 45 miles in say 7 hours... 6 or so miles an hour is is a fair average overall there and back!
That's maybe $30 in fuel for an efficient boat. If one is stationed at a marina, I'd recommend a honey bucket which one would unload in the marina's toilet every evening/morning.
markpierce is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2010, 01:32   #75

I think there's at least one marina in the Bay Area that has the luxury of dockside pumpouts accessible from the slips. Such luxury!