Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 07-04-2013, 16:37   #1
Marine Service Provider

Boat: other peoples
Send a message via Skype™ to Loco Gato
not checking out or in

On the way upto Hawaii from Huahine, I didn'tcjheck out as I might want to head over to the Marqueas. Well, the winds were from the east so that wasn't gonna happen and just headed up towards Hawaii, Oahu and Ala Wai to check in. 33 days later, after battling headwind and all the other fun stuff, I docked at the soon to be shut down fuel dock in Alaai at 3:30 m. Being a good little comrade, I call ICE and was told to call another number. I caled 5 five times and no response after 4 days. By then, my crew of 1/2, had flown home, and I had been all over the place eating, washing clothes and moving over to Kewalo for a better slip. So the question is; what happens if you can't/are unable to check back into the U.S.? I did my part but the customs and immagration dudes failed at theirs. Just blow it off? The boat and I are American, with all the stupid papers to prove it, what are they donna do? send me back to French Polynesia? Inquiring minds and all of that! Sorry, no spell checker and I am feelin' lazy so forgive the typos!
Lynn A. Stokes
BTW
Pascal Bredin at Tahiti Yacht Services is the man! He elped out in ways that you would not believe....for free! I wouldn' ue anyone else while traveling or heading to FrenchPolynesia!
Also y keybor is rathr alty!
Loco Gato is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 17:03   #2

Firstly, Hawaii seems to have the same security they had in 1941.

Second, your story is lame. You should have attempted to communicate with the Tahtians. And you efforts on arrival in Hawaii were not diligent. Did you radio the Coast Guard while approaching. Did you take a taxi to customs, or try the main number? What about immigration? Did you check with the port captain or marina management....

Thirdly, DHS really doesn't care at all about yachts so nobody will come looking for you ... Probably.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 17:15   #3
Marine Service Provider

Re: not checking out or in

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
Firstly, Hawaii seems to have the same security they had in 1941.

Second, your story is lame. You should have attempted to communicate with the Tahtians. And you efforts on arrival in Hawaii were not diligent. Did you radio the Coast Guard while approaching. Did you take a taxi to customs, or try the main number? What about immigration? Did you check with the port captain or marina management....

Thirdly, DHS really doesn't care at all about yachts so nobody will come looking for you ... Probably.
So my story is lame, have you ever sailed outside of the country? Mexico maybe? Not too many folks actually check out of Mexico when heading north btw and at the cop dock in Shelter Island, they just blow it off if you don't. The fed cops in Huahine actually told me not to check out in case Iwant to go to other islands/atolls as did the custom patrol boat that boarded me while at anchor off Fare, but the weather was against doing so. I was not going to spend 30 or 50 bucks on a taxi to track down customs in Oahu, it is their job to come to me and other than that lame comment, I did do all the other suggestions? that you made. You did not answer the question, just fired off armchair negitive comments. For that I thank you.
Old 07-04-2013, 18:30   #4

Boat: Privilege 39 Catamaran, Exit Only

I have never had a problem checking in or out during our eleven year circumnavigation. The USA is only place I have ever been where some people are allowed to check in by phone.

I don't know all of the legalities, but I won't come into a country without having the right paperwork filled out on arrival. I don't want to give anyone pretense for confiscating my yacht.

I don't know the particulars of your situation, but I will say that in eleven years, I never faced the situation that you describe.
maxingout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 18:36   #5

Boat: O'Day 25

Quote:
Originally Posted by Loco Gato View Post
On the way upto Hawaii from Huahine, I didn'tcjheck out as I might want to head over to the Marqueas. Well, the winds were from the east so that wasn't gonna happen and just headed up towards Hawaii, Oahu and Ala Wai to check in. 33 days later, after battling headwind and all the other fun stuff, I docked at the soon to be shut down fuel dock in Alaai at 3:30 m. Being a good little comrade, I call ICE and was told to call another number. I caled 5 five times and no response after 4 days. By then, my crew of 1/2, had flown home, and I had been all over the place eating, washing clothes and moving over to Kewalo for a better slip. So the question is; what happens if you can't/are unable to check back into the U.S.? I did my part but the customs and immagration dudes failed at theirs. Just blow it off? The boat and I are American, with all the stupid papers to prove it, what are they donna do? send me back to French Polynesia? Inquiring minds and all of that! Sorry, no spell checker and I am feelin' lazy so forgive the typos!
Lynn A. Stokes
BTW
Pascal Bredin at Tahiti Yacht Services is the man! He elped out in ways that you would not believe....for free! I wouldn' ue anyone else while traveling or heading to FrenchPolynesia!
Also y keybor is rathr alty!
Coming from the south of the islands, the preferred check in port is Radio Bay at Hilo on the big island. Customs office is two blocks away from the moorings and very helpful.

Due diligence can save time, money and effort.
Dos Gatos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 18:39   #6
Marine Service Provider

That makes two of us! In 40 plus years I have never encountered this but..... I was thinking of heading over to Fanning Island for fuel and such, but the lack of paperwork from FP changed my mind. It's just interesting that with all the b.s. with flying,(TSA), that I was able to sail in and no one even bothered to return my calls. It is standard practice to use the Hawaiian Yacht Club to check in when arriving from FP or Kewalo Basin Harbor or any other port in Ohau. Maybe they were too busy checking cruise ships?! Once I got to Kewalo, I just said screw it and took down the "Q" flag! In Rangrioa and in Raiatea and Huahine, they didn't even want to see passports! Citzens of the world in place now? In years past, customs and immagration types were all over the boat. Odd. But the main question is still unanswered or I didn't form it properly, what are the repurcussions of not checking/getting clearance into the U.S.?
Old 07-04-2013, 18:55   #7

Boat: Sailboat

Can't find specifics for Hawaii, but for the Great Lakes the CBP says

Failure to Report

Failure to report can result in civil penalties as defined in Title 19, United States Code, Section 1436 to include a penalty of $5,000 for the first violation and $10,000 for each subsequent violation with the conveyance subject to seizure and forfeiture. In addition to being liable for a civil penalty, any master who intentionally commits a violation under subsection (a) of the above stated section upon conviction is liable for a fine of not more than $2,000 or imprisonment for 1 year or both.

http://www.cbp.gov/linkhandler/cgov/...reat_lakes.pdf
LeaseOnLife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 18:56   #8

The repercussions are that you get ground to a pulp in a bureaucratic machine. Possibly losing your boat.

You are obligated to complete practique, not just make a few unsuccessful phone calls.

I do not have an armchair. I am at the navstation next to portfolios bulging with years of official clearance papers.

Yes I too have been waved off by customs at Shelter Island. But that was their choice not mine.
daddle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2013, 19:18   #9
Marine Service Provider

Quote:
Originally Posted by daddle View Post
The repercussions are that you get ground to a pulp in a bureaucratic machine. Possibly losing your boat.

You are obligated to complete practique, not just make a few unsuccessful phone calls.

I do not have an armchair. I am at the navstation next to portfolios bulging with years of official clearance papers.

Yes I too have been waved off by customs at Shelter Island. But that was their choice not mine.
I, on the hand, have the very uncomfortable office chair, as I am back home! Didn't mean to imply you didn't know what you were talking about , just the 1st line of your comment got me going a tad! I actually talked to a number of folks at ICE and they all said call this number, an answering machine, left all the good info about the boat and where it was but nada. Just odd with DHS and all the other crap since 9/11 regarding security. Sorry if I ruffled a feather or 10. Even the harbprmaster didn't know what the "h" was going on! Bigger fish to fry than a Beneteau 393 arriving from FP? Who knows? Just thought it was odd and wondering the what if stuff and if anyone has experienced the same.
The boys at Shelter Island do that quite often, like theor coffee is going to get cold if they come down to the boat! Been checking in there since the 70's and no change
Go in peace