Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 24-12-2006, 19:50   #31

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
Alan

A winter just for you........................._/)
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1654.JPG
Views:	163
Size:	97.7 KB
ID:	691   Click image for larger version

Name:	DSCN1649.JPG
Views:	304
Size:	88.3 KB
ID:	692  

Name:	snow1-05.JPG
Views:	157
Size:	87.5 KB
ID:	693   Click image for larger version

Name:	xmastreeB.JPG
Views:	374
Size:	87.9 KB
ID:	694  

Name:	snowtree.JPG
Views:	175
Size:	129.1 KB
ID:	695  
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 00:32   #32
tdw

Boat: Malö 39 Classic
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
We'll I have awoken to a simple stunning Christmas Morning here in Kiwi Land. We are supposed to get to a lovely 26c today. Most of the country is in the low/mid 20's with the exception of the deep south being only 17c. I do feel for you guy's that are in snow and cold, but then, I would love to experiance a "white Christmas" just once. I emphasis the Just Once part ;-)

Merry Christmas everyone.
Hey Wheels,
I once spent the weeks leading up to Christmas in Barcelona and it even made a grouchy old curmudgeon like me start to understand the Christmas spirit thingy. Cold crisp air, carol singers wandering the streets, citizenry all rugged up in coats and scarves. Quite magical even if it wasn't snowing.
Anywho, I've just got home from lunch wiv me mum and a visit to my father who's in hospital. He's fine and dandy, probably enjoying himself more than he would have at home but it makes for a somewhat miserable time for my mother.
Weather in Sydney has been generally crap so we are behind in our preparations to get away but should still make it by Friday. Next couple of days look a bit dodgy for quiet cruising anyway. Apparently the Hobart boats are in for it so we'll be laying low.
Take care, enjoy the holidays and give my best to Darryl when you meet up.
Regards
Scrooge McTDW
tdw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-12-2006, 03:55   #33

Boat: Sunray 25' KnottybuoyzII
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
I do feel for you guy's that are in snow and cold, but then, I would love to experiance a "white Christmas" just once. I emphasis the Just Once part ;-)
Well Alan, you can pop over and have Christmas with us....although there is no guarantee of either snow or crisp, cold weather. Not any more. We have hit 10 C 3 times in the past 2 weeks and broken several records. Snow is out of the question :-( This Christmas morning it is around 2 with a cool wind.

Oh well! We hope everyone has a great day and enjoy the magic of the holiday season with family and loved ones no matter where and what weather you are in!

Lori, Rick and Shadow
Knottygirlz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 27-12-2006, 14:50   #34

Boat: Gulfstar 44 Sloop
Merry Christmas! I haven't posted in a while but as we have now sold the boat and are looking for a new one I will probably have time to post. The Rover made it to Oz and is Morton Bay at the Royal Queensland Yaht Squadron (sheez you Ozzies and Brits can make things sound fancy). We spent Christmas and Boxing Day here on the boat to say goodbye and then we are flying up to Cairns for a bit of diving before heading back to the States and work (yuck, four letter word like plan). By the way, Florida is a great place to buy a boat and Australia is a great place to sell a boat. You could make a living delivering boats across the Pacific. Have thoroughly enjoyed all the locals and hope to come back again on a bigger boat.
Linda and Elie
Old 02-11-2007, 16:23   #35

Boat: Was - Passport 45 Ketch
Quote:
Originally Posted by tdw View Post
As a Western Islander who is hoping to visit the North and South Islands next year please enlighten me. Where was the pic taken ? That has got to be one of the most beautiful looking anchorages I've ever seen. Damn, the colour of that water is gorgeous and the backdrop, wow.

Me and madam are taking the Raven up to Port Stephens (NSW) post Boxing Day. If it's too crowded then we'll probably mooch around the coast for a few weeks, either drift south or head out to Lord Howe and back. Lord Howe itself will probably not have any vacant moorings but I'm itching to spend a night or two at Middleton Reef even if it will be a tad uncomfortable. Tasmania also an option but maybe too much rushing around required. As you can see we are totally organised and allowing no vacillation.

I'm not a Christmassy type I'm afraid. All hype and ******** and I'm not much for religion or fireworks. If I have to sit through another Sydney NewYearsEve ooh aah whiz bang spectacular I'll scream. Made worse by the fact that every other fecker is on holidays and wants to go to the same secluded anchorage as me and me lady friend. I crave solitude and I guess the only place I'll find it post Christmas is out at sea unless the weather is complete crap and then hopefully everyone else will stay at home.

Memo to self - forget your happy pills this morning ?

I'm not really as grouchy an old bugger as the above would indicate, honestly I'm not.

Cheers

Andrew
Hi Andrew,

I have been to Middleton Reef twice. 1 week stay each time.

I'm not sure why you would think that it is uncomfortable. I've seen it blow 30kts there. I've had winds from NE through South. The boat never rolled. The anchorage is in deep white sand and holding is very good. It is protected from every direction except a strong NW (which is very rare). You can tuck way back in, in 15-20' of water.

There is the clearest water, best coral and most beautiful fish that I have seen anywhere.

There are a few specs of sand at low tide and the reef is very exposed. However, care must be taken when exploring the reef. The top coral is very broken up and hard to walk on.

I haven't anchored at Elizebeth Reef but I did motor in to the small lagoon. It's not well protected and very little swinging room. I would consider it a very dangerous place to anchor. The nice part about Middleton is that you can exit in any conditions. If you found yourself with a NW wind building in the middle of the night, it would still be easy to get out.

I would consider Middleton Reef a "DO NOT MISS".
Kanani is offline   Reply With Quote