Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 21-12-2009, 16:47   #1

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
Fatal Coast Guard Accident in San Diego

Lectronic Latitude had a clip about this.

Here is a link to one of the articles about the accident which left an eight year old boy dead.

Boy, 8, killed when Coast Guard boat hits pleasure boat - KSWB

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 18:02   #2

Boat: Challenger Anacapa 42
There were 13!!! people on THAT vessel???

Here's to swimmin' with bowlegged women!
Christian Van H is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 18:26   #3

Boat: JBW club 420, MFG Bandit, Snark
Quote:
Originally Posted by Christian Van H View Post
There were 13!!! people on THAT vessel???

I had a 23' Larson that was rated for 12 people. It's possible that the 24' boat in that article was within its capacity. But it would've certainly been a cramped ride for them.

The way the article is worded it sounds like it was the Coast Guard that was at fault.

I hate that happened to that family, especially around the holidays.
Fiveslide is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 18:46   #4

Boat: Fairweather Mariner/Westsail 39
The accident happend about 100 yards in front of the vessel I was on, which happened to be 1st in line immediately behind the Cutter Haddock, and which subsequently led the parade. I did not actually see the collision nor hear it (we had a loud genertor running on deck), but I did note the rapid approach of the smaller Coast Guard vessel which seemed to be running at inordinate speed through an area densely populated with private boats anchored and drifting with regulation lighting or no lighting at all, on an evening with little moonlight, and where the normal lighting distractions were otherwise drastically amplified by the large number of other (parade) boats brightly illuminated. On such a still night, I cant imagine what aspect of a reported vessel grounding in the bay could have warranted the Coast Guard vessel making that kind of speed under such circumstances. Toward the end of the parade, we were nearly run down by a US Naval Security vessel likewise running at high speed, despite the fact thet we were pretty lit up and making only four knots. Both vessels had to maneuver violently, en extremis, to avoid collision.
squarerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 19:57   #5

Boat: Dragonfly 1000 trimaran
Squarerigger,

PLEASE be a witness for this.
These yahoos need to be held accountable for their actions.

Ayn Rand
senormechanico is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 20:10   #6

Boat: Sold - Landlocked
I hope this does not turn into another Dinius......

clausont is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 20:23   #7
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
As much I like the Coasties for all the good things that they do, whenever I see their boats they seem to have only two speeds. They are either stopped or full speed ahead. I was a twenty something year old as well and remember driving cars and whatever boats the same way.

The fact remains that only witnesses who actually saw the collision know what happened. The rest is speculation until we read the results of the investigation.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 20:37   #8

Boat: Fairweather Mariner/Westsail 39
Well, as I said, I neither saw or heard the accident directly. The law enforcement vessel I saw running at high speed (blue flashing light) into the assemblage of anchored and drifting vessels I am presuming was the one which was in the collision, but it is possible that it was another responder coming to assist (which if so, risked compounding the tragedy). Certainly I'd do so if asked, but I'm not sure what I would be a witness to other than the general conditions which seem to have been reported accurately in the media. Moreover I'm certain that the commander of the involved Coast Guard vessel and crew feel wretched over the episode, people join the Coast Guard to rescue others, not to be the cause of need to.

A general problem I see is with the introduction of very high powered ribs and cigarette type boats now in ubiquitous use by the Coast Guard, Harbor Police, Border Patrol, US Customs, and Naval Security and who knows what other law enforcement and security agencies in a small harbor heavily used by commercial, naval, and recreational vessels of vastly differing characteristics and experience levels. These boats are not intended to creep along at modest speed and they are often manned by young people at the beginning of their careers and experience. When I see them they are generally running flat out or they aren't moving at all. That's almost always OK in the daytime or in open water. But in crowded or disorienting conditions at night you can see the potential for problems.

Ray
squarerigger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-12-2009, 21:24   #9

Location: San Diego, California - Read about our circumnavigation at www.rutea.com
Boat: Contest 48
I heard in the media reports that the Coast Guard was en route to a reported grounding of a recreational vessel. I spend a significant amount of time with my VHF radio on, scanning the commonly-used frequencies. On the occasions where the Coast Guard is contacted by a vessel that is grounded, more often than not the caller is referred to a local vessel towing service, unless the vessel is in immediate danger. I'm certain it's possible that the vessel to which the Coast Guard was responding was, indeed, in immediate danger, but I'd find that surprising. Or perhaps the Coast Guard's policy to grounded vessels has changed recently but I'd find that more surprising.

My deepest sympathies and condolences to the family and friends of the youngster who died and those who were injured. My thoughts extend to the officer(s) and crew of the Coast Guard vessel involved in the accident. This is sad for everyone, especially mariners.

Fair winds and calm seas.
nhschneider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 03:12   #10

Boat: Bristol 30
Here is an updated story from the San Diego Union:

Coast Guard boat going too fast, witnesses say - Metro - SignOnSanDiego.com
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-12-2009, 03:33   #11

Its difficult to see vessel lights against any background of city or mass of other vessels. If I ever see a ship oblivious of me I shine a flashlight near, but not at it. Then we can avoid each other.

The accident was especially tragic when the CG were going to help another boat.
George Wade is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-07-2010, 03:30   #12
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

The Los Angeles Times is reporting that four crew aboard the USCG vessel that collided with a small civilian vessel in San Diego harbor during the annual Parade of Lights last December have been charged as a result of the USCG investigation.

"Coast Guard crew charged in deadly San Diego accident

"Four petty officers are accused of criminal offenses ranging from involuntary manslaughter to dereliction of duty in a collision between their vessel and a civilian boat that killed a boy, 8."

"Anthony DeWeese, 8, was killed and five members of three families were injured when their 24-foot boat was struck by a Coast Guard vessel Dec. 20 in San Diego Bay. (Fox News5 / San Diego)"

To read the entire article, go to:

Coast Guard crew charged in deadly San Diego accident - latimes.com

TaoJones
Old 02-07-2010, 04:48   #13

Boat: Bristol 30
Thanks for following up on this.
Such a terrible tragedy.
Soundbounder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:36   #14

Boat: not much yet
The milk is in the floor. It is too late to stop this accident.
Criminal charges do nothing but answer the high emotions of voters. When the crew was removed from boat duty, the danger to the public was answered and solved.
Criminal charges just make sure this tragedy ruins as many lives as possible.
I am not a fan of the CG's or the water patrol here either. Both act as petty tyrants, incapable of not exercising their small powers incessantly. That does not change the fact that criminal charges will not bring this boy back, and if they are off boat duty, the public has already been protected from them.
I try to look from all angles and pick the logical best course forward. Not the emotional revenge path on auto pilot.
Prayers for the hurting families, but your hurt will not be less if you make theirs more.
Ahnlaashock is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 09:40   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Research vessel for a university, retired now.
I agree, picking on the Coast Guard does nothing.

If there is any benefit to this tragedy it is that hopefully the USCG has implemented new small boat operations procedures to prevent this from happening again.

Life begins where land ends.
David M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
accident, san diego