Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 09-05-2010, 14:23   #16

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: None at this time
Hirophant, if you go to the following url and click on "Where is Nereida?" it brings up a position page. She is about 1 day off NZ.

Sailing Vessel Nereida - Travels
DeepFrz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 14:47   #17
Marine Service Provider

Boat: Multihulls - cats and Tris
Quote:
Originally Posted by bayview View Post
Tao I think you should "be given the heads up" that Coots Away appears to have a vested interest in Jessica's voyage. Either as family member or part of the PR team. Coots Away has been posting on a great deal of Fora to such an extent that it could be best described as spamming. I notice he is only up to post 6 here however.
Another wonderful exhibition of rigourous thought by the everpresent bayview/catty where little or no evidence is applied to little or no logic and a strident conclusion is reached.
Factor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2010, 20:16   #18

Boat: Open 8 Sofa
Quote:
Originally Posted by DeepFrz View Post
Hirophant, if you go to the following url and click on "Where is Nereida?" it brings up a position page. She is about 1 day off NZ.

Sailing Vessel Nereida - Travels
I tried that, it gives me a map but no markers. Every circumnavigator seems to be using a different version of google maps: I find that Abby's works fine, Jeanne's gives me a nice big map but no markers, whilst Jessica's doesn't work at all except on the computer I use at work.
Old 09-05-2010, 20:41   #19

Cruisers Forum Supporter

HiroPhant; I usually use Firefox and it has always worked, I tried it with Internet Explorer and it also worked. You must be missing some addon, possibly Java? I am also running Windows 7. I haven't tried it on my Linux system.
Old 10-05-2010, 05:40   #20

Boat: Gulfstar 53 - Osiris
It works fine on my HP lapbook with WinXP and Firefox 3.6.2 - the Google map pops right up with the little balloons marking positions. She is now in NZ waters between the north and south island and only a short way away from Wellington. Her past track appears to be a straight, constant latitude, path eastward.
osirissail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2010, 08:31   #21
CF Adviser
Moderator Emeritus

Cruisers Forum Supporter

If you click on "Travels in the past year," another world map mounts quickly, but there is a delay while her waypoints load. Then, it (rather slowly) pops each red waypoint onto the map one-at-a-time, from the time she left Southampton one year ago to her present position near New Zealand. If someone is on a slow connection, it could sit on that empty world map for quite awhile as the waypoints load.

TaoJones
Old 10-05-2010, 08:56   #22

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Ah, okay. About a sec. delay on mine, but yeah.

Jeanne has arrived safely in Nelson, posted at 05:00 UTC.
Old 12-05-2010, 07:28   #23

Boat: 382 Diesel Duck
Quote:
Originally Posted by TaoJones View Post
"Meanwhile, according to solo circumnavigator Jeanne Socrates, she and Jessica are very close to each other but Jeanne's attempts to contact Jessica or anyone on her team have been met with 'radio silence'."
There is another angle on this in the National Solo yachtswomen pass in rough seas - national | Stuff.co.nz

Quote:
The two women were negotiating the same Southern Ocean storms when Socrates was given a terse reminder from Watson's shore team to quit communication with the 16-year-old sailor.

"Jessica was emailing me, saying she would love to keep in contact.
"We were sharing the same storms and I was concerned about the possibility of a collision, but it seems her team shut down contact between me and her."
Once again it seems the handlers might be the problem, not Jessica.

Quote:
Media spokesman Andrew Fraser said Watson had replied to an email from Socrates. She received lots of emails and could not reply to them all. "I politely told Jeanne that Jessica was busy and did not have time to respond to all emails. Simple as that," Fraser said.
Having seen lots of his spin it is understandable if one gives that about zero credibility.

-Sven
Old 12-05-2010, 07:39   #24

Boat: a sailing boat
C'mon folks. It was a PROJECT, it had a GOAL, a MISSION a STATEMENT, a BUDGET.

And a PR.

What else would you expect from a commercial enterprise? The business ends have to be met before any social ones.

We are not here to make friends, we are here to make money.

Pinkie,
ooops-sorry,
barnie, off course ;-)
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 11:22   #25

I originally dismissed this as some kind of snafu. Apparently, there's more to it, but it seems clear that Jessica did not "voluntarily" cut off communication.

It's been a long time since I had occasion to know much about teenage girls. But I think they hold all the world records for chatting on the telephone and probably the computer as well.

Kenneth Grahame, The Wind in the Willows (River Rat to Mole)
slomotion is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 12:51   #26

Boat: a sailing boat
google me gently, and support me, ohhhh

Well, those who claim mentioning a failed attempt at contacting on Miss X.Y. makes Google Yahoo or Bing rank the page higher in a search HAVE a point. This IS how it works.

Those saying that one Miss X.Y. is such a champ and supports one Miss A.B. please give some examples of this amazing amount of support. I somehow missed this part of the story.

And those saying one Miss should have a (***) make of windvane rather than autopilots please be informed that an Open Sledge is NOT the boat that will easily and willingly be driven by a windvane. Apparent wind, think APPARENT WIND.

b.
barnakiel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-05-2010, 13:10   #27

I think anyone googling about this topic is already a member of this board and has replied in this thread. It's not exactly cnn breaking news.
rebel heart is offline   Reply With Quote