Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 13:17   #76

Boat: Albin 40 double cabin Trawler
Re: Coast Guard Helping Sailboat In Distress at Ocean View In Norfolk, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vasco View Post
Yes, I think about 10 to 15K to get her off the beach and back to a yard.
I'm in the business and that's what I would guess too....
psneeld is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 13:18   #77

Boat: Irwin citation 40 "Southern Toy"

If the hull can be temporary sealed.and there is sand out to deep water say 5-6 feet make a plywood sleigh, by tying plywoodsheets together edge to edge get a BIG heavy anchor .and a snath block set well out hire a backhoe for 2 hours work the plywood under the boat tie the boat to the sleigh run line from sleigh to snatch block on anchor to backhoe on beach it will pull it out. should not cost more than $3000 Ole
olepedersen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 13:20   #78

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkJ View Post
The owners left their boat and left it when it was about to be hit by a storm. They waved goobye to it.

They're gonners.

If they are not insured then they will be saving up the vast majority of the boat cost again.

The only thing they have to negotiate with is the boat was already ashore before the salvagers took control.

If it was in the open sea the salvagers would have 90% of the value.
90 percent would depend on a lot...grave, imminent danger to the vessel and a big risk to the salvage crew....
Old 30-08-2011, 13:22   #79

[QUOTE=olepedersen;763127]If the hull can be temporary sealed.and there is sand out to deep water say 5-6 feet make a plywood sleigh, by tying plywoodsheets together edge to edge get a BIG heavy anchor .and a snath block set well out hire a backhoe for 2 hours work the plywood under the boat tie the boat to the sleigh run line from sleigh to snatch block on anchor to backhoe on beach it will pull it out. should not cost more than $3000 Ole[/QUOTE

if you are doing it yourself and renting the backhoe out from joe schmoe.
Old 30-08-2011, 13:41   #80
Armchair Bucketeer

If she already has sand in her, then my guess is that the bulkheads have either started to delam or will do so during the recovery process. In any event, with a hull full of water (especially in a fairly lightly constructed boat) IMO the best option (with no insurance and the threat of a large bill from the locals) is to start from the position of recovering parts for E-bay.......using an Angle Grinder / Chainsaw etc, hull and deck into a vehicle heading for the local dump.

Not a pleasant one to suck up $$$ wise, but she ain't going up in value as is where is........sounds like the voyage was on a shoestring - sometimes cash in the bank can help make better decisions from giving more options (and I rather suspect a bit more to there departure from the last port than disclosed).
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 14:28   #81

Boat: Custom Cutter 38

Quote:
Originally Posted by malbert73 View Post
Two observations from pictures. One, either the anchor and rode were impressively strong and set, or the bow could use some reinforcement.
I have personally seen two more Hunters with the bows ripped right off, both in Florida after a hurricane a few years back. One may have been anchored when it happened, but the other one was docked at a marina in Miami and the bow came off (the whole anchor locker) from the bouncing.
Old 30-08-2011, 14:38   #82

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
I find this situation very sad and feel deeply sympathetic towards the owners. They must have gone through a very traumatic time.
I truly hope someone with a good heart and deep pockets will reach out and help.
It would restore my faith in humanity given some of the harsh comments made by people earlier in this thread.
impi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 14:57   #83
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: Coast Guard Helping Sailboat In Distress at Ocean View In Norfolk, VA

Calling all Lagoon 440 owners....

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 15:03   #84

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_Old_Jersey View Post
If she already has sand in her, then my guess is that the bulkheads have either started to delam or will do so during the recovery process. In any event, with a hull full of water (especially in a fairly lightly constructed boat) IMO the best option (with no insurance and the threat of a large bill from the locals) is to start from the position of recovering parts for E-bay.......using an Angle Grinder / Chainsaw etc, hull and deck into a vehicle heading for the local dump.

Not a pleasant one to suck up $$$ wise, but she ain't going up in value as is where is........sounds like the voyage was on a shoestring - sometimes cash in the bank can help make better decisions from giving more options (and I rather suspect a bit more to there departure from the last port than disclosed).
true for resale...but a fiberglass boat can be glassed back together for peanuts if the owner can do it...I just did one that was crushed by a 90 foot barge for a couple hundred in epoxy, plywood and glass...the estimate by pros was way over $10,000 and the insurance plus other experts considered a total....took a month...but it can be done.
Old 30-08-2011, 15:06   #85

Quote:
Originally Posted by impi View Post
I find this situation very sad and feel deeply sympathetic towards the owners. They must have gone through a very traumatic time.
I truly hope someone with a good heart and deep pockets will reach out and help.
It would restore my faith in humanity given some of the harsh comments made by people earlier in this thread.
Being the owners were former military...they know all too well mistakes or bad plans can have horrible results...

Don't wish it on anyone...but there's some really "need to be answered questions" before you feel bad or turn your back on them.....
Old 30-08-2011, 15:08   #86

Boat: 1977 S2 8.0
Quote:
Originally Posted by impi
I agree I feel deeply for these people. Maybe they did something wrong maybe not it isn't for us to judge unless we were there or know them personally.
I think they lost possibly all that they have through a tragedy and hope that they can recover emotionally as well as financially.
Very sad situation overall
Tori is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 15:10   #87

Boat: Manta 40 catamaran

Regarding the question of "why the insurance won't pay"....

I went and looked thru my insurance policy. I don't have anything special - and it's for a similar boat. I believe my insurance would pay in this case. I don't see anything that says "we don't pay if the captain does something we don't like". As long as you are in the proper territory (which is north of the FLA line on my policy) after June 1, I think my policy would pay. I won't test the theory, but I'm pretty sure I'm covered.
karenmccraw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-08-2011, 15:16   #88

Boat: Tanzer 26, Walk22

Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61 View Post
took words out of my mouth(or my keyboard)
Old 30-08-2011, 15:29   #89

Quote:
Originally Posted by karenmccraw View Post
Regarding the question of "why the insurance won't pay"....

I went and looked thru my insurance policy. I don't have anything special - and it's for a similar boat. I believe my insurance would pay in this case. I don't see anything that says "we don't pay if the captain does something we don't like". As long as you are in the proper territory (which is north of the FLA line on my policy) after June 1, I think my policy would pay. I won't test the theory, but I'm pretty sure I'm covered.

I would tend to agree...but a few companies out there have some funny fine print...
Old 30-08-2011, 15:45   #90

Boat: Lagoon 440
Send a message via Skype™ to impi
Quote:
Originally Posted by boatman61
Never quite thought of lagoon 440 owners as having deep pockets ..... Think that belongs in the class if Gunboat?
impi is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distress, sailboat