Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 30-08-2011, 19:15   #106

Boat: Tartan 30
Re: Coast Guard Helping Sailboat In Distress at Ocean View In Norfolk, VA

Quote:
Originally Posted by sailvayu View Post
I can't help but note the Coast Guard did not help these people. What happened to the days when men would go out in row boats to rescue sailors in distress? Maybe now that the Coast Guard is part of the Homeland Security we need to think about getting back to a volunteer life boat service to help civilian boaters. Of course then we have to worry about being sued when helping. Just some thoughts about the state we are in. I know the Coast Guard does a fine job and most of the time will risk a lot to save a boater in distress but it does seem sometimes the rules get in the way of doing the right thing.
The USCG had their fleet removed from the area (due to media hype?)... They were unavailable for any rescue attempts.

Kinda like trying to call 911 durring a hurricane. You MIGHT get an answer, but your not gonna get any response.... I listened to the VHF MAYDAY call they made. The were desperate, they were calling in and updating their situation quite often (i didn't hear the updates, but I gathered that they had already been in contact, I heard the mayday though, and the coastguard was not "responding" to their immediate request, they were simply asking other's to respond)..... I could hear the fear in his voice. He was scared to death, and for good reason. When he finally mayday'd that he was sinking, it was obvious this was the last possible outcome. I don't know who, or how they were rescued (the reports are conflicting) but I'm sure the last thing they are worried about at this point, is their boat...
Old 30-08-2011, 19:43   #107

Boat: Van de Stadt Victory 40 ketch
Send a message via Yahoo to kismet

I spent the night,at anchor, in Willoughby bay on thursday, before the storm, and called Dave at Rebel Marine, just in side the spit, to see if he had a slip where I might ride out the storm, and he said, no, I am telling all my people here to get out, that this is not a good place to be in a blow, and this is on the south, protected side on the spit. Well, he suggested I go accross the Hampton Roads to Hampton River, so I say ok. I motored up the river past many fine yachts and nice city improvements but hardly room to swing a cat, but I dropped the hook right in the middle of a bustling metro. I was there with only one other boat, a Colin Archer type cutter with a couple and three little girls from California. I dragged anchor all night and bailed out in the morning and went looking for a real hurricane hole. I looked at the charts and decided on New Port news creek, where th scallopers go, if the commercial boy hide out there, then ok...but no, I was chased out and sent ot Leeward Marina, on the JAMES RIVER, Where i am now. It turned out to be a great move, and I an sorry for the other crew loosing there boat, but they where a very few miles from safe harbor and picked a very bad spot to anchor.
Old 30-08-2011, 23:24   #108

Boat: saga kan walker 31ft
Send a message via Skype™ to sctpc

I would like to know what anchor they used

sctpc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 00:28   #109

Boat: CSY33

Quote:
Originally Posted by kismet View Post
... decided on New Port news creek, where th scallopers go, if the commercial boy hide out there, then ok...but no, I was chased out and sent ...
Chased out by whom?
Trekka is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 02:09   #110
Armchair Bucketeer

Quote:
Originally Posted by sctpc View Post
I would like to know what anchor they used
I would like to know what chain they used.........

.....although to be fair, once the chain is out of the bow fitting in a serious blow, given enough time, it will cut through most boats. Steel possibly excepting.
David_Old_Jersey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 03:05   #111
Eternal Member

Chain should never be "out of the bow fitting".

Anybody ever heard of chain snubbers? Nylon bridles? Retaining pins to hold the rode atop the roller?

Bill
btrayfors is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 05:50   #112

Boat: Fountaine Pajot, Antigua 37 - Ti' Punch

Quote:
Originally Posted by callmecrazy View Post
Judging by the pictures... I'd say the front fell off.

I nearly blew coffee out of my nose watching this video! Is this some kind of spoof or was it an actual interview regarding real events? Monty Python couldn't have done it any better.

Thanks for making my morning.

In other news, Mr. Calabrese seems to have a gift for finding trouble. Here's the latest from this morning's paper...

Boater rescued during Irene has trouble on land | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com
Ti' Punch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 06:03   #113

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

Here's a link to more pics.
Photo Gallery
Old 31-08-2011, 06:09   #114

Boat: Seafarer 26
Enjoyed the you tube and yes there does appear to be more to the story
Dkdoyle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 06:11   #115
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ti' Punch View Post
Is this some kind of spoof
Yep.
Funny fellers. Each week they did a segment on a current affairs tv show where they took one incident/news story of the week and did it as an interview with (usually) a politician.

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 06:12   #116
CLOD

Boat: none

I feel bad for these people! They of course did nothing to help themselves, didn't take down any sails etc.

On another note: for all the people who keep saying that Hunter rudders fall off, note that it didn't
Old 31-08-2011, 07:03   #117

These sailors are notorious drunks and have been towed in so many times the tow services will not do busiiness with them. This is their "MO" get drunk think they are invicible and end up doing something stupid. Like the time he took the boat out in the middle of the night drunk with passed out the after berth. When she wakes up they have gone from Hampton to Pungo Landing where he commences to beat the sh** out of her so badly that the V Beach police has to taken him away by helo. Don't feel sorry for this guy or the money he has lost. Just be glad that he is off the water and hopefully the streets. He is the hazard not the boat are the weather.
catman2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 07:05   #118

Boat: Pearson 323 - Island Breezes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Don Lucas View Post
I feel bad for these people! They of course did nothing to help themselves, didn't take down any sails etc.

On another note: for all the people who keep saying that Hunter rudders fall off, note that it didn't
More and more I just feel bad for the boat: Boater rescued during Irene has trouble on land | HamptonRoads.com | PilotOnline.com

It's a crime that such a nice ship is going to end up scrap.
LauderBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 07:10   #119

Boat: Allied Luders 33, Hull 98, 1971
Quote:
Originally Posted by catman2
These sailors are notorious drunks and have been towed in so many times the tow services will not do busiiness with them. This is their "MO" get drunk think they are invicible and end up doing something stupid. Like the time he took the boat out in the middle of the night drunk with passed out the after berth. When she wakes up they have gone from Hampton to Pungo Landing where he commences to beat the sh** out of her so badly that the V Beach police has to taken him away by helo. Don't feel sorry for this guy or the money he has lost. Just be glad that he is off the water and hopefully the streets. He is the hazard not the boat are the weather.
3 posts, and you're already slandering someone. What you say may be true, but at least provide some evidence/links if you want to be believed.

In any case, I hate to see something like this and hope for the best.
nv5l is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-08-2011, 07:18   #120
Long Range Cruiser

Location: Australian living on "Sea Life" currently in England.
Boat: Beneteau 393 "Sea Life"

Quote:
“I thought could beat that storm.”

Thats the only bit of good to come out of this. Reinforcement of reality: Nope, none of us can beat a storm. Ever. So if we play the game like that we are far less likely to get into trouble.

And if we ever do actually outrun a storm then we needn't have

Mark

Somalia Pirates and our Convoy
MarkJ is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
distress, sailboat