Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 10-12-2006, 06:09   #1

Boat: 1994 Prout Manta Catamaran
Run-Time Error Messages

Am I the only user getting lots of Run-Time error messages? In my situation, it's getting worse.

On logging in, I used to end up in the Home Page Portal, and I had to go through three run-time error messages to get there. Now it takes me to my Profile Page, so I have to clear two run-time error messages to get out of that, and then the standard three to get back to the Home Page Portal.

I find I'm selective about reading threads, because I have to navigate through these run-time error messages every time I choose to enter one.

I've tried the "fix" option, and that only complicates the issue.

Any help?

Entlie
Sailing Catamaran Sunspot Baby
Entlie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 06:14   #2
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Bateau TW28 Long Cabin
Quote:
Originally Posted by Entlie

Any help?
Hi Entlie

Need to know:

PC Type, processor, operating system & version, physical RAM & hard drive. Browser type and version. Other applications running on your system. Virus software & version. Error codes especially! I haven't seen a runtime error in years! This should be fun figuring this out!

Rick
knottybuoyz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 07:50   #3

P3, 500. Windows 2000 Pro, 1 mg ram. Error codes don't seem to be depending on other applications running. Only rarely do I get run-time error messages on other sites.

By the way, I share an office with Sunspot Baby. We are connected to the same network. He used to get them, but a miracle has occurred during the past few weeks and now he doesn't get them any more.

Entlie
Old 10-12-2006, 08:11   #4
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

I'm suspecting scripting errors and an incompatibility with your browser. Which browser and version is it? Do you get scripting error messages? You'd see a small caution sign in the very lowest left hand corner of the browser window. Click on that sign and the error should pop up. I'd need that info to begin tracking it down.

Win2K is virtually unsupported by MS anymore. I found this out painfully this past week when a hacker got into our main web site and defaced some pages. I had no choice but to upgrade the server OS.

When was the last time you ran a MS Update wizard? Hmmmm? Did that exist in Win2k? I can't remember. How much free hard drive space do you have? Does the error occur when the PC has been running for a long time? The virtual memory page file might not be purging itself and using up more space than usual. This happens with sloppily coded web database applications that don't clean themselves out when the process has ended and leave a lot of cached data.
Old 10-12-2006, 10:17   #5

My operating system automatically updates.

I don't see any error messages in the lower left hand corner, but I will watch out for them.

By the way, since I am spending a lot of time on my personal profile page (I get directed there every time I log on now), I noticed some interesting text that if your birthdate changes to let the administrator know. I didn't know I could do that! It would sure be nice to be 10 years younger

All of the administrators and techs do such a wonderful job on this site. I am certainly not complaining, and will gladly deal with the run time errors just to participate here.

Entlie
Old 10-12-2006, 15:55   #6
Kai Nui

Eltlie, I have expreienced some issues recently, and have escalated this issue. I hope to have some suggestions soon. One thing you have not mentioned is you connection speed. Dial up? DSL? WiFi?
Old 10-12-2006, 16:17   #7
cruiser

To be clear - we are talking about a real runtime error on your PC's operating system, not a message from your browser, correct?

Is it a hard error that requires you to shut down?

If so, as Knotty said above, I'd suspect your browser isn't dealing with the heavy use of JavaScript on the forum.

Most simple way to fix it?

Just download and install the newest version of your browser. Should clear things right up. If not, please post and say so.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 19:31   #8

Boat: It’s in French Polynesia now
There might be something new going on with the board. Last night I noticed a large amount of cookies coming in. I get hit with 3 just starting out and then 1 or 2 with each new window.

Andy R has been doing some up grades. So, modern browsers may need to be a must......................................._/)
delmarrey is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-12-2006, 20:37   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kai Nui
Eltlie, I have expreienced some issues recently, and have escalated this issue. I hope to have some suggestions soon. One thing you have not mentioned is you connection speed. Dial up? DSL? WiFi?
Cable Modem
Old 10-12-2006, 21:28   #10
Kai Nui

Does get get faster than that. And, relating to Sean's question, I am guessing you are getting a Java run time error? I am assuming you have Java enabled on your machine? Aside from those two areas, I will let you know what I am able to find out.
Old 11-12-2006, 05:20   #11

Thanks for everyone's interest

1. The error message is a gray box with a blue stripe at the top. Here's a common one:
"A Runtime error has occurred. Do you wish to debug?
Line 312
Error: Object expected
Yes No"
There is no mention of JAVA on the error message.

2. I do have JAVA enabled on my machine.

3. I have not updated my browser in a while - will take care of that today and let you know if that helps.

Entlie
Old 11-12-2006, 05:25   #12
cruiser

EDIT: Whoops! Upon looking at this again, we could really nail this one down if we knew exactly which page you were looking at when this error message comes up.
The error message is essentially a message from within your browser. It's your browser compalaining about the way the Cruiser's Forum page is coded. This could be due to something fancy the Cruiser's Forum is trying to do and you having an older browser, or... it could be that the Cruiser's Forum is doing something incorrectly.

This could go either way though - if nobody else is experiencing it, it is probably a matter of your browser not being up to speed for something the Cruiser's Forum is asking it to do.

Or... if others are experiencing the problem, it is something on the Cruiser's Forum server - as Rick said.

I'd still start by upgrading the browser (what browser were you running? what's the version number of the one you have running?) If that doesnt help anything, we could really nail this one by knowing the exact page you get an error on and the exact error message for the page. Of particular importance is the line number mentioned in the error message and the exact URL of the page.
ssullivan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-12-2006, 05:33   #13
Building a Bateau TW28

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Hi Entlie

That is almost definitely a scripting (PHP or Javascript or VB) error on the server side. Andy would have to look at it. What he'll need is the URL to the specific page which you can copy and paste from your web browser address bar. I have seen scripting errors on this site but they're not consistant and can appear on just about any page, I suspect it's the included ads that are the problem.

There are a number of things that can cause that kind of error from automatically included content, such as the ads you see to style sheets that are missing etc. They may not actually "be missing" but fail to be downloaded due to browser timing out or incompatibilities with software installed on your PC. As you can imagine diagnosing these types of problems without actually sitting in front of your PC is problematic at best.

Rick
Old 12-12-2006, 17:30   #14

When you started talking about updating the browser, I thought that might do the trick. I went to Microsoft web and downloaded the latest update. When I tried to install, it told me I already had the latest version. Looks like the browser is updated automatically with the Windows auto updates.

So I am still getting the Run Time Errors.

Entlie
Old 12-12-2006, 17:51   #15

I just sent a message regarding the browser (which is up to date). Now I'll try to give you the information you asked for in several messages.

Here's the sequence:

I log into the Forum.
I get two Run Time Errors. Both say:
A Runtime Error has occurred. Do you wish to Debug?
Line 312 Error: Object expected. (Line 312 for both Error messages).
Home Page Portal comes up for a brief second. The the screen goes white, and BAM! I am in my profile page.
To get out of the profile page and back to Home Page Portal, I go through two Line 312 messages again, AND a Line 406 error message.
Then I can go to a thread and read a thread ok, but anytime I come back to the portal, I get the same three messages again, two Line 312, and one 406.

Whew! Wears me out just thinking about it! Thanks for trying to help.

BTW, I am a member of several other forums, and I don't have this issue with any others.

Entlie