Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 22-12-2023, 19:59   #1

Boat: Maxim 38 ft catamaran
Exhaust elbow yanmar

What is the best way to separate the elbow,manifold joiner.Thanks and Merry Xmas.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2699.jpg
Views:	42
Size:	426.0 KB
ID:	284653  
Jacana is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 02:20   #2

Re: Exhaust elbow yanmar

A fair bit of heat, a good solid vice and a big pipe wrench..... or maybe 2 pipe wrenches. I have a vague memory of that pipe nipple being a left hand thread on one side and right hand on the other .... like a rigging screw.
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 02:35   #3

Boat: Yamaha 25mk2

when i brought mine to a shop and had them change it out, they put it in a vise and used a BIG pipe wrench with a cheater bar to break it loose.

the nipple is left/right threaded, examine carefully to make sure you're loosening in the correct direction!
mcpusc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 03:31   #4
Moderator and Certifiable Refitter

Boat: C.L.O.D.

The manifold side of the nipple is a normal RH thread, the mixing elbow side is a LH thread (IIRC).

Skipperpete recommends a 'a fair bit' of heat. I recommend double that and heat cycle it a few times with shock cooling.
All men dream: but not equally. Those who dream by night in the dusty recesses of their minds wake in the day to find it was vanity: but the dreamers of the day are dangereous men, for they may act their dreams with open eyes, to make it possible. T.E. Lawrence
Wotname is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 05:37   #5

Boat: Tartan 40

When I replaced mine on my prior engine (4JHE) I gave up and bought a whole new assembly
malbert73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 07:17   #6

When replacing mine, on the first try, I have bent the handle of cheap Kobalt wrench. After going up several wrench sizes (not Kobalt) it finally turned. Still keeping the bent wrench as a reminder to use the right tools the first time.
Island Time O25 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 09:14   #7

Boat: 1992 lagoon 42 tpi

When I got my boat, the exhaust elbow needed to be changed. I took it apart to the same stage you have there. (Although mine was a lot more corroded)
The yard manager helped me out with a vice and 48" pipe wrench. It still wouldn't budge!
We used a grinder to cut it through and the threads were fused together. Essentially welded from corrosion and heat.
So I guess I'm suggesting a vice and big wrench, but be aware both sides may be needing replacement.
I hope you have better success than I did!
chris mac is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 11:11   #8

Boat: sailboat

malbert73 probably has the best solution. Some years ago I had a new mixing elbow with the 2-way threaded SS gas fitting already attached, The engine actually needed a riser and I couldn't remove the short 2-way fitting myself so I took it to a shop. They had a massive table and vise, and the biggest wrench I have ever seen, and couldn't unscrew it ... not even with a four-foot cheater bar on the wrench handle. Impressive! Shoulda used more heat.

But, you likely are having difficulty unscrewing the SS gas fitting from the exhaust manifold fitting - yes? As others have said, it is 2-way, the threads go two different directions, R and L, be sure you are forcing the correct direction.

If that fails, looks like a Yanmar, and looks worn: order a new exhaust manifold fitting, if you have to wait for it to arrive from Japan then work on something else in the meantime. The 2-way threaded SS fitting can be (not easily) found from high pressure gas supply outfits. I've seen that mixing elbow on ebay.

Let us know how it goes.
Kello is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-12-2023, 12:04   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Murray 33-Chouette & Pape Steelmaid-44-Safara-both steel cutters

Buy a new one here. $ are right. Cheaper than even your labor.

https://hdimarine.net/product/gm-sta...-mixing-elbow/
hpeer is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
elbow, exhaust, yanmar