Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Scuttlebutt > Cruising News & Events
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-05-2006, 08:24   #1

Boat: Med Yachts 62 Trawler
Tragedy in the Volvo Ocean Race

A shame ... I am amazed that they were able to even recover his body after that length of time and in those sea conditions....

My sincere condolences to his family and friends.

http://www.cnn.com/2006/SPORT/05/18/...eut/index.html

a better link here:
http://www.volvooceanrace.org/news/a...ate/index.aspx

and a nice tribute to Hans:
http://www.volvooceanrace.org/news/a...te2/index.aspx
Old 19-05-2006, 22:39   #2
Ram

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Cat in the med & Trawler in Florida
What about the jack line/ safty harness, did it break or was it being used?
Ram
Ram is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 21:03   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Hartley Tahitian 45ft. Leisure Lady
No, sadly he was not wearing a harness nor even a lifejacket. I know these guys are supposedly the best, but I just can't quite fathom why you wouldn't be wearing either when in 30kts and 5m sea's.
He did have a strobe light which made finding him reasonably straight forward. As soon as he went over, they hit the MOB ont he GPS and threw over the danbouy and beacon. They turned as quickly as possible and had to beat back up wind. It took 40mins to retrieve the guy. Even in freezing water, if he was wearing the gear they would normally have on deck and was wearing a lifejacket, I ould expect him to survive. Without a lifejacket, it would be hard work.

For God so loved the world..........He didn't send a committee.
Alan Wheeler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-05-2006, 21:06   #4

He brought his own death unto himself. For not wearing the required safety gear during that race, IMHO.

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 11:01   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainK
He brought his own death unto himself. For not wearing the required safety gear during that race, IMHO.

Premature to be making judgements. Nothing I've read has definitively stated that he wasn't wearing a harness, cause of death not yet determined, no investigation yet, etc. etc.

I suggest we mourn the loss of a fellow sailor and perhaps go to this link to actually help out his family. http://www.sailinganarchy.com/donations/hhmf.php

Curtis
“…whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off them, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” - Melville
Curtis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 12:13   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Curtis, the skipper had confirmed he was not wearing a harness.
But yes I agree, we shouldn't imediatly jump to conclusions. We don't know why he was on deck, why he wasn't wearing safety gear, why why why... It's always easy to jump to a conclusion. We have to remember that these guys are THE BEST and they have literaly grown up wearing safety gear. Most of the time when they DON'T wear safety, they feel as if they are "naked". Plus the rules are so tight on those boats, I doubt a skipper would ever knowingly allow any of his crew above deck without safety gear. In fact, most crew know these boats are on such fine lines with safety, few ever take off the inflatables even below and asleep.
So yes, I believe there must be more to this story than we know so far.

Brings me to a question though. Has anyone ever been towed behind a fast moving boat with a safety line on?? I have in fun in calm water. And it damn near drowns you. I dunno which is the worse. Being dragged along trying to get air, or free hoping the boat is going to return and find you.
I certainly see a huge benifit in using those jackets with the clear spray hood that pull's right over your face and protects you from the waves.

Old 22-05-2006, 12:25   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Curtis, the skipper had confirmed he was not wearing a harness.
Wheels, I'm certainly not doubting you, but can you point me to a link or a reference for that confirmation?

I've looked around and can't find any official mention. Several folks have mentioned that TV news accounts reported the same thing but I haven't been able to confirm.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alan Wheeler
Has anyone ever been towed behind a fast moving boat with a safety line on??
I've done it at 3 or 4 knots and damned near drowned....can't imagine it at 20+ knots and huge seas!

Let's keep Hans and his family in our prayers.

C
“…whenever my hypos get such an upper hand of me, that it requires a strong moral principle to prevent me from deliberately stepping into the street, and methodically knocking people’s hats off them, I account it high time to get to sea as soon as I can.” - Melville
Old 22-05-2006, 17:59   #8

Well Curtis.

I sounded premature. And you're right.

But IMHO. He probably brought his own death upon his self. For not wearing his safety gear. I personelly have seen men going overboard and almost lost their lives for not wearing safety gear.

Life at sea isn't all peaches and cream. The tallest waves I have ever seen at sea were about 70 feet tall. And one night during a hurricane. I just missed a 100 foot tall rogue wave. I heard that wave crash upon the hull. It was loud!! That wave, washed 3 men off from a aircraft carrier deck edge elevator loaded full of bombs and missiles.

One of them wasn't wearing a life vest. And he's now a dead sailor. If he'd worn that vest he'd be alive today?

Yes, we should morn the loss of another sailor!!

"Those who desire to give up Freedom in order to gain security, will not have, nor do they deserve, either one." - Benjamin Franklin
CaptainK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-05-2006, 22:48   #9
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

It was via the ship to shore Video broadcast of the skipper to there head guy in their support centre. That part was then broadcast viat the new's networks. I wonder if there is any news networks on line that have that clip?

Old 23-05-2006, 05:06   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaptainK
But IMHO. He probably brought his own death upon his self. For not wearing his safety gear.

I composed about three replies to this last night, then chose to sleep on it. Here is the calmer, reflective response.

I believe that statements such as CaptainK's are completely inappropriate for a couple of reasons:
  1. We don't know the facts. As previously stated, we don't know exactly what happened or the circumstances of the accident. The absence of facts just makes for armchair speculation. Personal experiences really have no bearing unless they were aboard ABN2 at the time of the accident;
  2. It is simply rude. When we post on a public board, we don't know who will read it or when. Would you make your statement to a grieving family member? Would you want to explain it to one of Han's children in a few years if they choose to do an internet search?
I don't have a problem with asking tough questions, searching for facts, looking for reasons, and learning from mistakes. I do have a problem with reaching uninformed conclusions that are damaging and hurtful.

The best thing we can do right now is offer the family and friends all of our support and prayers.

Curtis

Tags
volvo