Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 19-10-2018, 08:27   #1

MCA master of yachts 200GT

Is this licence is accepted in new zealand??
My friend said that this licence accepted by the IYT.
And by my knolage the IYT is accepted in all over the world right?
jackiemelni is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 23-02-2019, 18:56   #2

Re: MCA master of yachts 200GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemelni View Post
Is this licence is accepted in new zealand??

This is a prickly question and your friend is possibly working in a region and capacity that would indicate that the 200T cert is universally recognised . Europe (EU) seems to accept that certificate but you need GMDSS for most jurisdictions and BOSIET in one of its forms for some areas of employment, Superyachts with helicopter transfers is a possibility.
I'm not familiar with NZ regulations, however the U.S. does not accept training or qualifications from foreign country facilities.
I'd be interested to hear from any MCA 200 ton masters who are able to add to this thread
skipperpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2019, 06:55   #3

Re: MCA master of yachts 200GT

Quote:
Originally Posted by jackiemelni View Post
Your friend has things backward.
  • IYT is a private training organization that operates through various local franchises.
  • the MCA is a government body, namely the “Maritime and Coastguard Agency” of the United Kingdom.
  • The MCA has delegated authority to IYT, and the RYA, to conduct examinations and issue certificates of competence. Both the IYT Master of Yachts and the RYA Yachtmaster (commercially endorsed) certificates are thus bona fide professional mariner qualifications issued on behalf of, although not by, the MCA.

IYT certainly claims that its (MCA-authorized) qualifications are widely recognized. It’s very difficult to evaluate that boast, as IYT does not publish relevant details. In any case, reportedly some countries have declined to accept those certificates. The MCA Master of Yachts 200 ton (in both its limited and unlimited versions) certificate is thus available, as an option, from the MCA directly. It requires candidates to already possess either an IYT or an RYA certificate of competence, complete the HELM course, and pass an additional oral examination. See generally here.

NZ’s recognition of foreign certificates is governed by the SeaCert process, and rather than relying on this forum you should contact Maritime New Zealand directly. For present purposes, you’ll find that if they don’t recognize an MCA Master 200 they certainly won’t recognize anything issued by IYT.
Svanen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
mast, yacht