Cruisers Forum

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-06-2018, 08:24   #1

Boat: Moody 49
Tunisia

We are visiting Tunisia in Aug 18. During our stay we want to have our Moody 49 lifted for some work, including:

Hull polish , new rudder bearings, some repairs to metal hinge on swim platform.

Can you please recommend a port for this and maybe a workshop or engineer?

Any contacts would be great.

We would maybe hire an apartment or fly back to UK so access to airport or accommodation is a consideration.

Mark
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-06-2018, 08:39   #2

Boat: Amel Sharki
Re: Tunisia

Mark,

I can recommend Monastir. They have a very good dockyard (ask Amor) for boats up to 20 tons doing all repairs. Going to town is 5 minutes by feet to buy anything you need. There is either the airport Monastir or the airport Enfidha which is about 80 km from Monastir.
I have been for 6 years in Monastir and have left in April this year for sailing to Greece.
And don't forget: No where it is cheaper as in Tunesia.

Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 25-06-2018, 08:40   #3

Boat: Moody 49

Gerhard- do you have any contact details please?
Mark Thurlow is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 19:02   #4

Boat: Ex Salina 48, now Lagoon 380
Send a message via Skype™ to spiv

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
I can recommend Monastir. They have a very good dockyard (ask Amor) for boats up to 20 tons doing all repairs. Going to town is 5 minutes by feet to buy anything you need. There is either the airport Monastir or the airport Enfidha which is about 80 km from Monastir.
I have been for 6 years in Monastir and have left in April this year for sailing to Greece.
And don't forget: No where it is cheaper as in Tunesia.
Gerhard
Hello Gerhard and anybody else with info.

I would like to do some hull and interior modification to a 40' cat.
I expect the work to take 4~6 months and to include fiberglass laminating, fairing, painting, cabinetry, plumbing and some s/s work.
I want to live on the boat on the hardstand most of the time and carry out most of the work myself/ supervise the rest.

I have never been to Tunisia, but have been in several marinas in Morocco, the one I would consider is Marina Saidia near the Algerian border, I was there in 2011 on my Salina 48 and it was very cheap, but not well equipped and trades were scarce.

Has any of you been to both Tunisia and Morocco?
How would you compare the two countries?

Thanks and....
spiv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-09-2018, 22:36   #5

Boat: Jeanneau 40 DS SoulMates

WE spent 2 winters in Tunisia in Hammamet - but not sure I would haul in Hammamet as the guy there was going out of business or had some issues -- Monastir is ok but we did not like the security --

As for a person - there is a Brit by the name of Mick who lives in Hammamet on his boat with his wife Jo and is a good guy who can do what you need done and has all the experience you may need.
chuckr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 01:04   #6

Boat: Amel Sharki

Quote:
Originally Posted by spiv View Post
Hello Gerhard and anybody else with info.

I would like to do some hull and interior modification to a 40' cat.
I expect the work to take 4~6 months and to include fiberglass laminating, fairing, painting, cabinetry, plumbing and some s/s work.
I want to live on the boat on the hardstand most of the time and carry out most of the work myself/ supervise the rest.

I have never been to Tunisia, but have been in several marinas in Morocco, the one I would consider is Marina Saidia near the Algerian border, I was there in 2011 on my Salina 48 and it was very cheap, but not well equipped and trades were scarce.

Has any of you been to both Tunisia and Morocco?
How would you compare the two countries?

Thanks and....
Hello Stefano,

I think the best place in the Mediterranien is Monastir to do the works you have described. However with a cat you have to go to the fishers port (Port des Peches) 2 miles south of the Marina Monastir. The travel lift in the ship yard of Marina Monastir is too small for a cat but the large travel lift at Port des Peches can handle any cat.
There is also a ship yard there and you will easily be allowed to do your own works. However the people from the yard are cheap and are doing good for all kind of works including laminatings. I know e.g. of a cat with german flag which has had a weak tail of both hulls and the people at the yard have repaired it. They are doing also nice innox work.

I am now in Kalamata, Greece, after some month in Malte. Berthing fee in Malte was the same for one month I have payed in Monastir for a whole year. Greece is a little bit cheaper but still a lot more than in Monastir.

If you have OpenCPN as navigation software I can send you some charts for Marina Monastir as well as the Port des Peches.

Regards Gerhard
CarCode is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 16-09-2018, 01:57   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarCode View Post
Hello Stefano,
I am now in Kalamata, Greece, after some month in Malte. Berthing fee in Malta was the same for one month I have paid in Monastir for a whole year. Greece is a little bit cheaper but still a lot more than in Monastir.

If you have OpenCPN as navigation software I can send you some charts for Marina Monastir as well as the Port des Peches.

Regards Gerhard
Yes, Malta is expensive, I could not afford to berth there, I found an anchorage, but it was not so convenient....
I was in Marina Cleopatra in Preveza (Ionian) for several months, not that cheap either.

In Saidia, I was paying 12Eu/day for a 48' cat, all inclusive, but that was 2011...

Yes, I do use Open CPN and Google overlay,
thank you!
Old 22-06-2019, 09:05   #8

Anybody living there (e.g Monastir area) on board? How is life? I wonder if we could do a family cruising trip maybe leaving the boat there for a year. I don't know the exact prices for a 33' mono (not shown on the marina website) but likely much more affordable than elsewhere...

How is safety in Tunisia nowadays (on water and land)?
Old 22-06-2019, 14:02   #9

Boat: Alubat, OVNI 47

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Anybody living there (e.g Monastir area) on board? How is life? I wonder if we could do a family cruising trip maybe leaving the boat there for a year. I don't know the exact prices for a 33' mono (not shown on the marina website) but likely much more affordable than elsewhere...

How is safety in Tunisia nowadays (on water and land)?
I didn't live aboard in Tunisia, but I docked/stored my boat in Port Yasmine Hammamet (mostly unattended) last year for about 1.5 months. Much, much, much cheaper than any Sardinian marina. I wasn't impressed by the marina facilities (specifically toilets/showers, and WiFi), but it was cheap. Prepared food (i.e restaurants, cafes) is so cheap, it doesn't make sense to buy groceries. Security was OK, don't accept a slip along the harbor wall, where there is no security. PYH is about one hour by taxi away from the international airport in Tunis.
Old 25-06-2019, 11:18   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by ccannan View Post
I didn't live aboard in Tunisia, but I docked/stored my boat in Port Yasmine Hammamet (mostly unattended) last year for about 1.5 months. Much, much, much cheaper than any Sardinian marina. I wasn't impressed by the marina facilities (specifically toilets/showers, and WiFi), but it was cheap. Prepared food (i.e restaurants, cafes) is so cheap, it doesn't make sense to buy groceries. Security was OK, don't accept a slip along the harbor wall, where there is no security. PYH is about one hour by taxi away from the international airport in Tunis.
Thanks! How are the officials? (customs, police, baksheesh...)

The FCO travel advice still doesn't seem to be cured of the 2015 shock.
Old 13-07-2019, 06:55   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTom View Post
Thanks! How are the officials? (customs, police, baksheesh...)

The FCO travel advice still doesn't seem to be cured of the 2015 shock.
I lived in Monastir from mid Feb to mid July.
Have met some wonderful people and some dodgy ones, same as anywhere in the world.
Life is very cheap, especially local produce.
I attach the Monastir marina prices, probably the cheapest nice marina in Tunisia, right in the hearth of town.

i found immigration and customs very efficient and polite. No demand for 'gifts' made and no gifts given.

I was in the commercial fishing port for repairs 4 months, dirty and noisy, but with a cat, I had no choice.
Will i go back there?? i am still debating it......
If anyone wants contacts for good tradespeople, specifically 'composite', 'mechanical' and 'electronics', just ask me.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Monastir Marina Pricelist.pdf (921.5 KB, 100 views)
Old 02-07-2021, 10:35   #12

Hello,
we are looking to take our 60ft yacht to Tunisia for the year and and liveaboard. is there anyone who can tell me any information regarding staying for the year visa wise.
we are Australian and Slovakian passport holders but i am unable to obtain any information that is consistent.

Thanks
Corey
coreyspring is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Tunisia