Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 29-10-2016, 20:50   #1

TX Family - New to Sailing

Hello Everyone,

I am new to the site and new to learning how to sail. I have a passionate interest of sailing and profound respect for those of you that have the knowledge and more importantly the experience of sailing. I have recently taken the initiative of learning to sail by completing my ASA 101 certification on the local lakes here in Texas. My goal is to obtain my bareboat certification so that i can safely skipper a rented vessel in the BVI's with my family (wife, kids age 13 and 9). We have done chartered trips in Hawaiian islands and we love the sea and there is no where else i would rather be than on salt water with salty air and a fishing line out the back. My question to ya'll is next steps with my newfound training and how to gain experience to becoming a safe and proficient sailor. In my quest to gain experience i believe i have 2 choices i can rent boat time at a local marina for on average $100/hr. The other option of course is purchase a day sailing vessel which i would establish a budget of 15k. I can afford much more than that but don't want to jump in the deep end to quickly in the event we don't stick with it. My follow up question is IF we purchased a vessel what would you suggest for a first time, easy to sail, STABLE and family friendly make model and size?

Thanks in advance for your guidance.
ash21 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 29-10-2016, 21:41   #2
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Re: TX Family - New to Sailing

Howdy ASH and welcome aboard CF!

I will send you a Private Message with some tips on how to search the CF forum archives where you can find answers in some of the countless previous discussions on many topics you will likely have in mind.

For example, the issue of How to Learn Sailing and "Which Boat First" come up frequently and you will find many good suggestions.

Have fun in the forum and while sailing .
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 30-10-2016, 02:57   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

Greetings and welcome aboard the CF, ash.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-10-2016, 08:36   #4
tms

Boat: 40' Jeanneau Sun Odyssey

I was in a similar situation. I found buying a cheap 27' boat a better price than the expensive lessons. If you are just day sailing, almost any boat will do fine as long as it can comfortable fit your family. I would suggest to start looking at sailboats 26-30' and see if you like it.

I learned the best way to learn is to just do. You will struggle with docking, navigation, and filling the sails. As long as you safety gear, it is all good.

I had good fun learning, but I learned it took a long time to get control of sailboat in reverse, I wanted a salon tall enough to stand in, no leaky hatches, plenty about diesels, red-right-return, etc. When I moved up to a 40' sailboat it seemed like a dream.
tms is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 14:57   #5

Boat: Westsail 28

Half the fun is just hangin' out with the family for a weekend even if you don't go sailing . as there is always something to polish or fix . But to answer your question for your first boat I would say possibly a Catalina 27 ' with a outboard engine . Couple of things about a outboard , when it needs work you can take it to the shop . That's a lot easier than trying to get a Diesel mechanic to come to the boat and also you will probably need a dingy, so the outboard for the boat ( a 6 hp will good ) will become your dingy motor . Another thing about a Catalina is that there is a very big users association .
markwesti is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-11-2016, 16:21   #6

Boat: wanting a cat

Join the Grapevine Sailing Club, then start racing. Did my first race last week, no cost, great people, great fun.

I am looking at doing 103/104 combined down in Kemah.

meatservo
meatservo is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
family, sail, sailing