Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 15-01-2020, 13:36   #1

Boat: Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469
2013 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469 - Dorian recovery

Hi all,
Hope you are all doing well.
I own a 2013 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469. I moved the boat to a slip in Nassau early last year. Then in July I moved it to Marsh Harbor in the Abacos for dry storage for hurricane season. Unfortunately, the eye of Dorian went right over Marsh Harbor. The mast broke and the swim platform ripped off but most of the other damage is more cosmetic in nature.

I went to visit the boat this weekend to start prepping it to get it back to Florida for repairs. Unfortunately it's difficult for me to take time off work to get it back to Florida, I can't wait in West End for a weather window to cross the Gulf Stream. So I'm offering it for sale to anyone who has the time to deal with recovering it.

The interior is largely untouched. Some rainwater accumulated in the low point. Electrical panel and battery charger work, lights work. Rudder looks straight. Keel/hull joint looks solid and undamaged. Nav instruments work. Not able to test the engine and generator but working to get the boat upright and then can test those. It looks like only rainwater came into the boat (from the generator cover going missing) so I expect the engine to work without problem and generator as well.

I had the surveyor who surveyed the boat when I bought it back in 2017 do an appraisal. It came out to $110K-$135K as-is, where-is, and $235K-$260K restored. Repair cost likely about $50,000-$60,000. The mast is the most expensive part, about half that. I have a new stern pulpit and generator cover bought which will give the buyer.

Asking $110K. I will pay for storage at the yard through the closing date. I'm working to get the boat upright now. This would be a great project for someone who has more time than I do and wants to do some of the restoration work as a project and has time to motor it back to Florida.

Take care everyone, happy to answer any questions.

Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	EATZ7484.JPG
Views:	450
Size:	344.8 KB
ID:	206994   Click image for larger version

Name:	IAYB1921.JPG
Views:	354
Size:	111.1 KB
ID:	206995  

Rdubs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 19:40   #2

Re: 2013 Jeanneau Sun Odyssey 469 - Dorian recovery

I'm interested in a project of this kind. However, I believe that I'd want to have a full survey carried out, before considering an offer and it doesn't sound like that is possible yet?

Did you retain title after the insurance company wrote the boat off?
Obviously I would also wish to establish ownership.

Look forward to some clarification and much appreciated.
UlstermanAbroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 15-01-2020, 20:04   #3

Hi Ulsterman, a survey would be most useful once the boat is upright which I hope to happen in the next week. You could survey it now but it's hard to test everything and really dig in because moving around the interior is challenging. Once I get it upright I will take a couple days off work, fly down and test the motor and generator by having the water intake suck out of a bucket. If that's good, it shouldn't be hard to motor to West End and from their either motor across to FL or just have TowBoatUS come tow it back, or get a buddy to tow it. I've always tried to minimize hours on the motor, I think there are only 300 hours on the motor and about 100 hours on the generator.

Re: title, the insurance company did not total the boat. Sadly, I had trouble renewing the insurance when it expired in June because the boat was staying in a slip in Nassau. US insurance companies will insure you out to 100-150 miles from Florida but not only if the boat is visiting the Bahamas, not living there. I was in process of lining insurance up when the hurricane hit. But an insurance company would not have totaled the boat anyway; the boat is very repairable.

I'm only selling it because the same job which let me afford this boat and pay it off also makes it almost impossible for me to put the time in to get it back to FL and get it back in shape.

This is going to be a really nice project for someone who can take time off to get it back to FL and start working on it. Lots of little things needed; there is nothing stove in that needs major repair. The boat is gorgeous and hard to find one listed for sale under $300K.
Old 19-01-2020, 12:07   #4

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

HI,
Can you post a link to all the photo's. A List of any other items added/upgraded to her.
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-01-2020, 11:22   #5

Boat: Beneteau Oceanis 400 40 ft "Camp David

Is the mast a total? Is a US Spar or a Spar craft mast? I can see the picture of the swim grid. Can you post a picture?
CampDavid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 22-01-2020, 11:20   #6

Hi everyone sorry for the delay been busy with work.
The mast is a US Spars. I have a quote from them to replace for about $20K including the shrouds. A replacement headsail furler will be about another $3-$4K. That plus the swim platform ($3K) are the major repairs needed. The mast is in two pieces, whoever buys the boat is welcome to take the pieces back with them to Florida but there was some damage to the spreaders. I already bought a new mast step, generator cover and aft starboard stern pulpit railing and the buyer will get those included.

CampDavid: You said you can see a picture of the swim grid? Not following. No one has spotted the swim platform yet or at least brought it to the attention of the boatyard.

A picture of her back in better days (taken in May):

Equipment (going off memory here):

-54HP Yanmar engine with sail drive - worked great before storm. ~300 hours.
-Onan diesel generator (6 or 7 kW). ~100 hours.
-Electric anchor windlass with both local control and remote control in cockpit
-Anchor upgraded to Rocna 55 pound. Still have original CQR buyer can have.
-Electric toilets, set up for freshwater flush
-140% Genoa sail, unaffected by storm since was in front storage locker. Just had the sacrificial leech replaced (cost $1,500).
-Mainsail - needs minor patch work from the storm, but is fully recoverable.
-10' inflatable West Marine HP-301 dingy
-custom cockpit cushions
-Ocean electronics package including radar (was working before storm), MFD's at both helm stations
-Additional 7" chartplotter MFD installed at Nav desk
-Autopilot
-Standard Horizon GX2200 (if I recall) VHF radio
-AIS/NMEA2000 interface which displays AIS data right on the chartplotter - VERY nice addition
-Fusion radio with 4 speakers (two in main salon, two in cockpit)
-TV in salon
-two inverters, one 200W dedicated to TV (so you can watch TV just running on battery) and one 1800W Pure Sine Wave Xantrax Prosine inverter. Lets you brew coffee and run the microwave without needing to start generator, very nice.
-Air conditioning; two 16K BTU units in owner's cabin and main salon, one 6K BTU unit for aft staterooms
-Three-burner stove, oven
-Microwave
-Fridge and ice box
-Tail section of Jordan Series Drogue, used for sub-hurricane rough weather. If you buy the main section for a little more you will have a full survival drogue.
-Seabrake drogue, not as good as the Jordan but much easier to recover. Bought this to use going through a cut between islands in the Bahamas if conditions didn't look calm.
-Life raft
-EPIRB (need to check battery expiration date)
-Raymarine Downview imaging sonar, integrated into chartplotter MFD's. Shows the bottom in pretty incredible detail.
-Explorer chart chip for chartplotter
-Dinghy davits - one of the davits may need replacement, the cross-bar ends need straightening or the davit bar replaced.
-Solar: Has four 100W solar panels and frame to mount atop the dinghy davits. Morningstar Prostar solar controller. This solar setup was nice, it would really cut back the amount of time you'd need to run the generator to recharge the batteries when making a passage. At anchor or dockside it would keep your batteries topped off without ever running the generator.
-Simarine Pico battery monitor - this is awesome, it shows the state of charge, voltage and amps in/out far more accurately than the switch display at the nav station. Really saves on generator run time.
-A ton of little improvements and other related tools and equipment like additional dewatering pumps I'll go over with the buyer.

A large part of me wants to get the boat back to Florida and restore it and then either sell it for a lot more or just keep it. But it's hard to take time off work to manage the recovery, especially motor it back to Florida. If someone can take a couple weeks off work to get it back or is retired this would be a great deal for them. If I get it back to Florida then the hardest part for me is over and I'll re-evaluate.

It looks like the boat should be set upright in the next 5 days or so. I'll try to find a window to fly down and test the motor and generator and other systems. I will also meet the buyer at the boat and go over the systems and operation before they set out.

Thanks for looking and take care everyone.
Old 13-02-2020, 16:33   #7

Hi everyone quick update. The boat is righted and back in the water. Engine fired right up. Leaving for West End tomorrow then on to St Augustine. All interior systems seem fine. But despite everything turning up roses, there’s too many sad memories here from my former life. As such I’m accepting all offers. Anyone is welcome to come see it in St Augustine or have it surveyed. I had a remote valuation appraisal done that happy to send along as well.
This would be a great project for someone who has time to do touch up and cleaning and a little troubleshooting.
Take care everyone.
Old 14-02-2020, 10:35   #8

Hi Rdubs, Please call me when you get to Saint Augustine. I live in town and would like to look at your boat with an eye to purchasing her and resurrecting her myself. I am retired so time not an issue. Roger 305 509 0050
omuramba is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-02-2021, 11:23   #9

Hi is it still for sale is there more pic in and outside please
captainFrancois is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-02-2021, 04:59   #10

Boat: Endeavour 40, Sold, looking for a 44'-50 cat or mono.

captian francois,
I was poised to purchase from him at that time, he went to recover the vessel from the bahama's and never made contact with me again. (i made several attempt's) I'm assuming he got her back to Florida and realized he wanted to keep her.
svGenesis is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
jeanneau