Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 12-07-2016, 09:29   #1

J Kantola Trimaran

Hi,
My Dad purchased a 36-38ft J Kantola designed trimaran built by California Custom Yachts, named StarTide years ago. It was new at the time so I believe it was in the late 1980s.
We were fairly young when he sold the boat but selling it was probably one of the hardest things he has ever done. His passion is sailing and being on the water. The boat was in San Pedro, Ca while he owned it and had raced in the newport Ensenada many times.
He is retired now and all of us are grown and wish he had kept the boat.
I would love nothing more to find our old boat and try to make the current owner an offer to bring the boat back into our family and give it to him as a gift for him to spend his retired years!
Does anyone know the best way to try and track down the owner of a boat or it's location? A few years ago he tried to reach the person he sold it to but had no luck getting in contact with him. I was also able to reach Bob Perkins, the owner of California Custom Yachts, who was able to help find designs and contacts to rebuild but finding the original holds much more sentimental value.
Please any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
cmfisher13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 17:37   #2

Boat: 34' Crowther tri sold 16' Kayak now
Re: J Kantola Trimaran

That's Jay Kantola btw. Could it be this one? It's the right builder.
http://www.angelfire.com/extreme3/multihull/
Old 13-07-2016, 19:02   #3
cruiser

Boat: OPBs

Quote:
Originally Posted by cmfisher13 View Post
Hi,
My Dad purchased a 36-38ft J Kantola designed trimaran built by California Custom Yachts, named StarTide years ago. It was new at the time so I believe it was in the late 1980s.
We were fairly young when he sold the boat but selling it was probably one of the hardest things he has ever done. His passion is sailing and being on the water. The boat was in San Pedro, Ca while he owned it and had raced in the newport Ensenada many times.
He is retired now and all of us are grown and wish he had kept the boat.
I would love nothing more to find our old boat and try to make the current owner an offer to bring the boat back into our family and give it to him as a gift for him to spend his retired years!
Does anyone know the best way to try and track down the owner of a boat or it's location? A few years ago he tried to reach the person he sold it to but had no luck getting in contact with him. I was also able to reach Bob Perkins, the owner of California Custom Yachts, who was able to help find designs and contacts to rebuild but finding the original holds much more sentimental value.
Please any help would be greatly appreciated!!!
Wow, what a gesture. I can't help with the trimaran but I'm very impressed by your desire to get it back for him. He must have been a great Dad.
tp12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-07-2016, 19:41   #4

Hi Sand Crab,
Ha I am not sure why I put J when I know it is Jay, oops.
Thank you and yes that one is one of the larger ones he built. I have actually tried to reach out to the person on that post but the email wasn't working or I never received a response. Was definitely interested as that would do since finding our original seems to be extremely difficult.
Thank you for the response and let me know if you might know the person in that post or hear of any other Kantola out there.
Thanks again!
Old 16-07-2016, 22:20   #5

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Hmmmm, probably not this one:
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160716_142158.jpg
Views:	375
Size:	417.0 KB
ID:	127889   Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160716_142215.jpg
Views:	476
Size:	418.7 KB
ID:	127890  

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20160716_142227.jpg
Views:	531
Size:	414.3 KB
ID:	127891  
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 11:14   #6

Oh my god I seriously think this is it!
That is so so heartbreaking to see it in this condition. Do you know how I can get in touch with someone at this yard and or this owner?

Thank you,
Old 17-07-2016, 11:50   #7

Boat: Tinker Traveller...a dozen feet of bluewater awesomeness!

Just give the marina a call and leave your name and number. I would think they have the contact info for the current owner and can pass along your information.
Napa Valley Marina (707) 252-8011

It has obvious signs of dry rot and a lot would have to be done to restore it.
snort is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 17-07-2016, 13:34   #8

Boat: Hedley Nicol Vagabond MK2, 37'

Can't tell about rot without surveying. It might be more of a refinishing project, I've seen plenty of tris that looked worse that where basically sound and many that looked better be all the way gone. That Napa yard has less rain than many areas which is good news.
Cavalier MK2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 07:45   #9

Thank you Cavalier MK2. If I am able to get in touch with the owner and they are willing to sell, do you have an idea of what a trimaran in this condition might be worth? Or do you know anyone who would be able to do a survey on it?
Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Thank you,
Old 18-07-2016, 09:59   #10

Hey cmfisher13,

Value is comprised of several things. Hulls, mast, sails rigging, hardware, equipment, engine etc.. A good survey will evaluate all these things.

As a example I'll use my Nicol Vagabond MK2 trimaran. I do my own surveys but have a lifetime of experience in sailing, maintaining, repairing and building boats always doing my own work. The Nicol was advertised much higher than what I paid for it. It was stripped of extra gear, had no engine, worn out sail/ running rigging and the hulls were covered in decades of cracked and peeling paint layers. These things devalued it enormously.

What it did have were hulls that had been built of excellent materials, marine fir double diagonal planking with bronze fasteners and no rot in the hulls. At the price of a rowboat it was certainly a good foundation for a renovation. The owner wanted it to go to a good home so was willing to move it along based on condition and gear.

Some owners are never realistic about what they have, remembering how it was versus what it is.

If the hulls are gone it is only worth the price of the gear/sails hardware in their present condition but labor has to be factored in to the equation. In one case I got a lot of gear for cutting up and disposing a boat that was to far gone to save as payment for the trouble.

Without knowing any of these things on the Kantola it is impossible to guess based on 3 pictures. If you can wait I'll be down that way in late September and would be happy to spend a long day going through everything stems to sterns as they say. If you are in a hurry we'd have to work something out as I'm in the PNW a good hop away. Searunner owner and forum contributer Roy down in San Diego is certainly more than qualified to survey the Kantola but beyond him I don'y know anybody in CA. What you don't want is a fiberglass monohull surveyor for anything but the gear as composite tri construction is a whole different animal.

If it is your Dad's old boat you have an enormous advantage in having him as a resource as he can remember how things were and more of the original build details. Good luck, it could be fun. I've had a blast with the Nicol, rebuilding and cruising in a logical way to mix the work with the fun. Once the structure is stabilized and safety needs are met used sails etc can get you on the water while the upgrades are planned and implemented.

Cheers
Old 18-07-2016, 18:54   #11

Thank you Cavalier!

I have reached out to the Yard and the manager said it is in pretty bad shape. Something he thinks is not worth restoring. It might not be good financial decision to get invested in this but I got this far so I can’t just give up until I exhaust every possible option and scenario. The one positive is it sounds like I would have a chance to purchase the boat.
Before I throw in the towel I will definitely have a professional survey the condition. I just need to find the right one willing to get up there. I appreciate the offer and will get back to you whether I will wait until September or if we can work something out.
I have been in touch with the original builder but he is in Hawaii. He does have designs and contacts if I wanted to build new or restore. I will be reaching out to one other person he recommended who is close to me in Marina Del Rey, who is familiar with the plywood epoxy construction.
The dream of brining this boat back home gets smaller and smaller but I am just going to take it one day at a time and if it’s meant to be, it’s meant to be.
Old 18-07-2016, 21:23   #12

With any boat the first thing to throw out the door are emotions and attachments and proceed with logic. This might be good for relationships too but don't quote me. A ply or epoxy tri of this vintage in great shape can be found for 20- 30 grand at the upper end. I know some will disagree but bear with me. This should serve as the ceiling for the project budget. If you can do the work yourself it is possible to come out ahead. If you have to hire out at yard rates math is receding over the horizon. What does the manager mean by bad shape? If he leans against the hulls and falls through he is right. If it is bad paint layers he is wrong depending on the cost of the elbow grease and knowledge of the applicator. The other wrinkle is the quality of sparkle desired. The more the finish resembles a mirror the more you will spend. Personally I've found lots of fun with a boat that has yet to hit 5 figures in outlay passing boats that are into the 6s but then I do my own work. It all depends on what you have to work with not what you feel.
Old 18-07-2016, 22:08   #13

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

Bob and Cindy Perkins, the builders, are among the best. I sailed on that boat in the 80's. Bob and Cindy began with a Searunner 37 in the early 70's. A number of us Searunner builders got together every week to watch Kung ** at Jeff Allen's place in LA, eat incredible food, and share info and resources.

I would recommend Bob Dixon to evaluate the boat and perform his special magic. I will put you in contact if you wish
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 18-07-2016, 23:46   #14

Hi Roy,
Thank you very much. Bob has been very helpful with the whole process and with resources. I do know they did top quality work and were among the best so that is the only hope I have going for it being salvageable.
I would love to get in touch with Bob Dixon to help out evaluations. Hope he's not to far away.
Maybe you sailed with my Dad at one point. His name is Frank Fisher.
Old 25-07-2016, 20:26   #15

Boat: Searunner 40 trimaran, WILDERNESS

cmfisher13, I just sent you a PM with Bob Dixon's contact info.
Roy M is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran