Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 31-01-2015, 19:33   #1

Boat: 1989 Cabo Rico 34
Navionics versus C-Map

I recently purchased a B&G Zeus Touch T8 and would like some input on charts to buy. Planning a trip from Lake Superior to the Bahamas and wondering how Navionics and C-Map stack up. The C-Map chart for the eastern US and the Bahamas seems like the way to go since they use the Explorer chart data. The problem is that this chart doesn't cover the great lakes. Since I have to buy another chart for the great lakes, which should it be?
Old 31-01-2015, 19:37   #2

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"
Re: Navionics versus C-Map

Most chart plotters in the US come pre-loaded with all the US waters charts free. Or they have a free download for them.

Are you sure that the Zeus doesn't also provide this?

I don't think the CMap region containing the Bahamas contains the Explorer Charts - I think they may be a separate purchase?

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 31-01-2015, 19:46   #3

Boat: 1989 Cabo Rico 34

The Zeus came loaded with "insight" charts for US waters but they aren't impressive. I can't state with 100% certainty that the C-Map charts use Explorer data but their website says that they do.
Old 01-02-2015, 05:27   #4

Boat: Manta 40 "Reach"

Quote:
Originally Posted by HoppySailor View Post
The Zeus came loaded with "insight" charts for US waters but they aren't impressive. I can't state with 100% certainty that the C-Map charts use Explorer data but their website says that they do.
Yes, I didn't mean to imply that CMap doesn't have Explorer chart data - just that their normal regional chart pack that also includes the Bahamas does not have the Explorer charts in it. Those are a separate additional purchase.

If you are just going to the Bahamas, you can probably just purchase that separate Explorer chart package and not the whole regional pack - which includes most of the Caribbean.

Of course, things may have changed with CMap, or be different with their products for Navico - my experience has been with CMap on Furuno.

Mark

You do not need a parachute to skydive. You only need a parachute to skydive twice.
colemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-03-2015, 17:29   #5

Boat: Wauquiez Centurion 49

I also bought a Zeus2. The Z2 takes both.

So what is the correct answer? Navionics or C-Map? Which one should I buy? Anyone with Navionics or C-Map with very recent trips to Mexico have input?
CAELESTIS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 21-03-2015, 07:21   #6

Boat: Moody 346

Quote:
Originally Posted by CAELESTIS View Post
I also bought a Zeus2. The Z2 takes both.

So what is the correct answer? Navionics or C-Map? Which one should I buy? Anyone with Navionics or C-Map with very recent trips to Mexico have input?
My C-Map Max charts for Eastcoast US and Bahamas DO contain the Explorer charts and I love them.
captd44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 24-03-2015, 17:58   #7

Boat: J80 & I-14

My experience is mostly with Navionics, so I can't really comment on C-Map -- with the Navionics+ or Gold maps for the USA, you can get the coverage from the Great Lakes down to the Bahamas. The + version allows access to the SonarCharts and community edits, and the Gold version is just the base Navionics maps.

You can play around with the different chart options on the webapp - Navionics Webapp. If you click the arrow on the left, it brings out all the possible options and you can click through.
jtulls is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
c-map, navionics