Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 13-02-2017, 17:13   #1

Boat: Rhodes Pearson 41 sloop
One-way air to Bahamas

I recall seeing somewhere that there is a problem flying one way to the Bahamas (to meet a boatI). I did a search but didn't find what I was looking for. I plan on flying mid-April. Will I need a letter from the owner/captain for the airlines to issue a ticket?
jessehunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 17:30   #2
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: One-way air to Bahamas

You'll likely have to do what I have to when picking up a boat in the States.. buy a return ticket..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 17:44   #3

Location: On board Sarah, currently lying in Jacksonville, FL
Boat: Pearson, 424, 42', Sarah
Re: One-way air to Bahamas

In the past I've sent crew members a letter inviting them to crew plus a copy of my Bahamas cruising permit. That worked in the past to allow the crew member to enter the Bahamas without a round trip ticket. However, things can change. The safest approach is to buy the round-trip ticket as Boatman states.

John
jstevens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 17:52   #4
Senior Cruiser

Community Sponsor
Cruisers Forum Supporter

pirate Re: One-way air to Bahamas

Its a real Bumma getting turned back at the Boarding Gate that's for sure..

You can't beat a people up (for 75yrs+) and have them say..
"I Love You.. ". Murray Roman.
Yet the 'useful idiots' of the West still dance to the beat of the apartheid drums.
boatman61 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 18:00   #5

Boat: Dean 365

It almost always works if you have a "to whom it may concern" type letter from the captain stating that you will be leaving the Bahamas as crew on his boat. That should be accompanied by a copy of his Cruising Permit (he can take a picture and email it to you to print out). This worked for me flying into George Town in January.

In the past, I have had trouble at the counter by the airlines. If that happens, buy whatever the cheapest refundable return ticket for a year out that they will sell you. That will give you plenty of time to get the refund.
Meandercp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 18:33   #6

Boat: Niagara Nautilus 36

In spring of 2014 I was crewing on a boat travelling from Marsh Harbour to Annapolis, so flew into Nassau. The plan was to then grab a puddle jumper over to Marsh Harbour and sail away. When customs in Nassau found out that i had a one-way ticket (and no cruising permits or crew letter) they made me sit in a chair beside a customs officer and said I couldn't leave until a cruising permit was presented.
They were quite pleasant, if not a bit stern, and provided me with internet access (to assist with contacting the captain)and said that I had couldn't leave on my pre-booked flight to marsh harbour without presenting the permit. Once the officer verified that i had a flight pre-booked and that it was leaving in 2 hours, he became slightly anxious about me getting my paperwork in order.
I couldnt reach the captain via email or cell, so i just surfed the web on the internet they provided, happily waiting in my chair. When it became apparent that they either had to send me to marsh harbour, or send me home, I simply received a token "scolding" and was sent off to marsh harbour.
I'd take a crew letter and copy of the cruising permit.
Or just sit in the yellow chairs.[emoji5]
Niagara Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 18:42   #7

Boat: Cape Dory

Google flights is a great place to price flights including one way flights.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 18:44   #8

Boat: Cape Dory

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
Google flights is a great place to price flights including one way flights.
I remember the airline made us buy return flights (re-fundable) but the Bahamians didn't care.
Mambo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 18:57   #9

Boat: Outremer 50
Send a message via Skype™ to Dave852

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mambo View Post
I remember the airline made us buy return flights (re-fundable) but the Bahamians didn't care.

Normally this is all sorted out in the county of origin. A copy of the cruising permit presented at the boarding gate is all you need. This is a common occurrence for the Bahamians, happens almost everyday.
Dave852 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 13-02-2017, 19:57   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dave852 View Post
Normally this is all sorted out in the county of origin. A copy of the cruising permit presented at the boarding gate is all you need. This is a common occurrence for the Bahamians, happens almost everyday.
Wife and I regularly fly around on one way tickets, likewise have crew join us coming inon a one way, Rarely a question, and the few times it was a copy of cruising permit and a crew letter works.
bvander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 08:12   #11
Retired musician & 50T master

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Pisces 21

in the past I carried fax copies of: letter from the marina where the boat was waiting for me, and a letter from the "captain" that I was crew on a Yacht In Transit. In Bermuda and Bahamas I also show my RYA Coastal Skipper ticket. If you had USCG papers you could show that too.

In Bermuda you will sit for 10 minutes in the Chair, they'll charge you $40 (I think it was), and you're on your way.
Old 14-02-2017, 09:02   #12

Boat: Dufour 39 Frers

You better check with the airline in advance.
Last year Jan 2016, on my way back to the boat after Xmass in US, Delta Air Line did not wanted to let me board without a return ticket. I had my cruising permit and all possible paper work.

Went to the refundable ticket route.
Emouchet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 10:49   #13
Marine Service Provider

No problem on Delta. Just carry a "crew letter" that identifies you as a crewmember, the boat ID and doc number and the owner's/skipper's name, signature and Capt. license no. if applicable. No airline personnel even asked to see mine.

Note: Make sure your skipper clears out of the country. Mine didn't so I mailed a copy of my entry card with date, time and port of departure to the Bahamian government agency with jurisdiction. Otherwise if I ever go back their computer system may show that I never left.
jmschmidt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 12:09   #14

Last summer I brought one of the Newport - Bermuda race boats back to the US after the race. Before flying to Bermuda, I wrote a letter (Boat did not have its own letterhead, so I made one up in Word) stating the circumstances, and used it for myself and sent copies to all the crew who were arriving separately. No one had any problem - all were admitted with no air ticket leaving the island. Have used similar letters in the past, also without problem.
capnjack.morton is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-02-2017, 13:31   #15

Boat: Nothing large at the moment

Customs and immigration never asks for a return ticket. However the airlines will not sell you a one way unless you produce a copy of the boats cruising permit and a letter from the owner if it is not your boat.
Tingum is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
Bahamas