Cruisers Forum

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 03-06-2017, 16:52   #1

termites on a ply wood trimaran

Hi I have a 37' tri with a termite infestation, I have used insecticide bombs, started removing linings and replacing portions of the deck. not used to working with fiberglass or ply for that matter. Any advise welcome. She id a Sea-runner 37.
nicko55 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 16:59   #2

Boat: Catalina 320
Re: termites on a ply wood trimaran

Boats are sometimes "tented" for termite treatment while still in the water in our area. When they tented a couple tall ships in the harbor they were asked if that would kill all the termites. They replied "Oh no, on an old wood ship like this you can never kill them all, we're just keeping them in check".
Calif.Ted is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 17:37   #3

Boat: Currently Shopping, & Heavily in LUST!

Can't vouch for it's effectiveness on termites, but it's a place to start:
https://www.systemthree.com/products/borate-powder
https://www.systemthree.com/products/borate-rods

I know that when I lived in San Diego, I had fleas in the carpet. So on the advice of a friend I picked up a box of "20 Mule Team" borax laundry detergent additive. I sprinkled it on the carpet heavily, left it for an hour, & vacuumed things up. Poof, no more fleas, & they didn't come back either. Unlike was the case with some folks I knew that used more conventional sprays & cannisters, etc.

In terms of how to repair the boat, there's no shortage of info out there. Starting at WESTSystem.com download ALL of their product guides, & their book The Geugeon Brothers, On Boat Construction. And of course there's System Three above, & just about any composites distributor or maker has lots of how-to, & self education resources. You can also download the original Searunner construction manual at Jim Brown's Outrig Media website.

Also, there's a quite active Searunner sub-forum in the Multihulls section on here. Which, the more you can fill folks in on whatever a problem is, including pics & video if you can, the better help you'll get.

PS: Posting where you're at, as well as a little about yourself will help too. Even a mini tool/boat repair resume wouldn't hurt so that folks know at what level to pen their responses.

The Uncommon Thing, The Hard Thing, The Important Thing (in Life): Making Promises to Yourself, And Keeping Them.
UNCIVILIZED is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 18:14   #4

Boat: Farr 1020

It will depend on what species of termites they are. The most destructive little blighters we have in Aus need Arsenic, although there are some new baits that are around in the commercial markets which act as a food source with poison they take back to the nest.
Use an IR temp sensor to locate the heat source and that is their home, but do not open-up the nest. They are shy little whatsits and will move house if disturbed.
At the nest, drill, insert puffer and nuke em! It may well be best to employ someone for that, once you find the nest and possibly remove panels etc to gain access.
Roger
Djarraluda is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-06-2017, 18:37   #5

Boat: Sayer 46' Solent rig sloop

As far as I know, tenting the boat and having a licensed guy to the extermination for you is the most reliable way of getting rid of them for the time being. However, plywood's funny, and sometimes has gaps, anyway, minus termites to make more. Talk to someone who really knows what they're about. I'm sorry you have this problem, but, to date, I've never heard of a home remedy that works. Did know a boat with a minor problem, and the exterminator froze the termites to death. But that was an invasion in solid timber, not plywood.

Ann
Old 03-06-2017, 20:56   #6

Carpenter Bee poison from hardware stores is also made for termites. It's a spot treatment, so you have to know where they are.
SeaSon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 07:38   #7

Boat: Skookum Monk ketch 47

Take a sample of the termites poop to the local agricultural agent for identification. Identifying the species will help you in choosing the method of eradication. I would recommend replacing the wood which contains the area of the colony's "home base". Furthermore, I recommend that all exposed plywood (through fittings, ventilators and cracks) be sealed with three coats of epoxy resin.
dsiddens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-06-2017, 19:11   #8

Boat: e.a jack (builder), g.l watson (designer), 6.2 mtr wll sailboat

copper sulphate mixed in diesel / 1 tablespoon copper sulphate powder, 2 tablespoons diesel.
carefully paint surfaces suspected to be termite infested pay careful attention to end grain and bare timber / caution inflammable.

ventilate well / read poisons information on copper sulphate
keep pets, mother in law etc away from copper sulphate powder

also can mix with marine epoxy to treat timber below the waterline / good for diy anti-foul mixed with acrylic epoxy

to treat timber for preservative to protect from rot mix with warm water it goes blue and later oxidizes green / don't let pets or ice addicts lick the treated timber / read poisons information for copper sulphate

will fix termites, cockroaches, ants, silverfish, marine growth and stops hoof rot in camels, horses, cattle, bison.

mix 1 teaspoon of copper sulphate in 1 mug of hot water pour into bilge of timber boat to treat bilges against rot and remove odours / may be a good addition with termite eradication they need water.

also if you pick a large grain of copper sulphate powder and suspend in a jar of water it will grow into a blue gem
knockabout is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2017, 20:02   #9

Boat: 1969 Columbia28, 1984/2016 Horstman TriStar36

Quote:
Originally Posted by knockabout View Post
copper sulphate mixed in diesel / 1 tablespoon copper sulphate powder, 2 tablespoons diesel.
carefully paint surfaces suspected to be termite infested pay careful attention to end grain and bare timber / caution inflammable.

ventilate well / read poisons information on copper sulphate
keep pets, mother in law etc away from copper sulphate powder

also can mix with marine epoxy to treat timber below the waterline / good for diy anti-foul mixed with acrylic epoxy

to treat timber for preservative to protect from rot mix with warm water it goes blue and later oxidizes green / don't let pets or ice addicts lick the treated timber / read poisons information for copper sulphate

will fix termites, cockroaches, ants, silverfish, marine growth and stops hoof rot in camels, horses, cattle, bison.

mix 1 teaspoon of copper sulphate in 1 mug of hot water pour into bilge of timber boat to treat bilges against rot and remove odours / may be a good addition with termite eradication they need water.

also if you pick a large grain of copper sulphate powder and suspend in a jar of water it will grow into a blue gem
I don't believe it's advisable to mix any diesel with epoxy, I believe that would not cure and be a mess to clean up. If termites have gotten into plywood, epoxy repair is relatively a crapshoot unless you cut out and replace the affected areas.
You want to use a high flash thinner like acetone to 'fry' them . I've seen those buggies make screen ours out of plywood .
Our tri was epoxy sealed in and out and was not affected while pieces of plywood were disintegrated by them in the same building.
Good luck with your task.
Old 22-06-2017, 10:41   #10

Boat: Le Guen Hemidy, Croix-du-Sud, 56'

In Panama I saw a wooden boat infested by termites. They hauled out, took the mast of and build a tight plastic tent over the all boat. Put some weight around on the ground to maintain all in place, injected chemicals to kill termites and leave it for 48 hours. Could not live abord during a week. Don't know if it woorks, but I think idea was good.
CdS2 Roland is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
trimaran