Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > Cruising Business & Commerce > Boats For Sale and Wanted
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 06-02-2017, 17:17   #1

Boat: Mirage 35
35' or so, Great Lakes (Canadian)

So, after insisting I wouldn't, I'm shopping for a boat.

Great Lakes cruising for now, something that works for a couple but would be comfortable if we invite another couple for a week or two. Comfort is more important than speed. Not interested in doing major repairs or upgrades. Initial location would likely be Kingston (Ontario), so a boat on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario would be the easy answer.

Based on the above, my first guess is that we're looking for something in the 35 foot range, and can probably expect to pay $50,000 CDN (so about $37.50 US) or more, but hopefully not too much more.

Most of you don't have boats for sale, but I'm hoping to take advantage of your knowledge to help me figure out what I'm looking for. All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
Old 06-02-2017, 17:53   #2

Boat: S2 9.1
Re: 35' or so, Great Lakes (Canadian)

I would suggest looking closely at the CS boats built in Oakville. They are all well constructed and sail well. The CS36 Traditional is a highly recommended vessel. They are all getting a bit old but if you look you should be able to find one that has been well looked after.

Good luck.
Gary
Gary Mc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 18:49   #3
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: Leopard 40 2009

Welcome back. I assume you're Looking for a boat in Canada, not necessarily Canadian built. Gary already suggested Canadian sailcraft +1. I'll plug my boat, a Catalina 36 mk 2. Sturdy coastal cruiser, tons made so good support and parts, sleeps 4 comfortably, and sails well. Only issue is small holding tank capacity if you can't discharge, so conversion to air head or replacing the bow fresh tank is needed. You can get a mid 90s for about your budget.

Better to trust the man who is frequently in error than the one who is never in doubt." -- Eric Sevareid
John_Trusty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 20:14   #4
Marine Service Provider

Cruisers Forum Supporter

You may already be subscribed to the following thread, but if not, I encourage you to do so.

http://www.cruisersforum.com/forums/...ds-147098.html

I will be posting more boats in the thread soon. Several nice boats in Canada were already posted. More to come in future.

Good luck on your search.
Steadman Uhlich is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2017, 23:19   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gary Mc View Post
I would suggest looking closely at the CS boats built in Oakville. They are all well constructed and sail well. The CS36 Traditional is a highly recommended vessel. They are all getting a bit old but if you look you should be able to find one that has been well looked after.

Good luck.
Gary
I completely agree with Gary- these are easy boats to fall in love with. There are also some Mirage 35's around the Lakes that I also consider to be a solid, well built boat.
Brob2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 03:56   #6
Senior Cruiser

Cruisers Forum Supporter

Boat: (Cruiser Living On Dirt)

This site will give you an idea of the “relative”* costs of many used boats available in central Canada.
Used Sailboats in central Canada

* The quoted prices are circa 2001.

GordMay is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 04:54   #7

Thanks for the suggestions - I knew I could count on you to help me focus.
Old 07-02-2017, 05:48   #8

Boat: CS36Merlin, "La Belle Aurore"

A CS36 will do you fine. These great Canadian built boats have stood the test of time. Many still on the great lakes and many have gone offshore. There are two totally different models of the 36, the older model now called the Traditional and the relatively newer model, the Merlin. There are many Traditionals on the great lakes and a few Merlins. I am partial to the Merlin, a Tony Castro design. The Traditional was designed by Ray Wall. All the boats were built in Brampton.

Here's the CS Yahoo group
https://groups.yahoo.com/neo/groups/CSOA/info
Old 07-02-2017, 08:24   #9

Boat: Ericson 35-2

there are a couple of mid 80's Merlins that have recently come up on kijiji... about twice the asking price however. Sought after boats

CS 36 Merlin Wing Keel version | sailboats | City of Toronto | Kijiji

CS36 CS 36 MERLIN - Excellent condition - $1000's in upgrades | sailboats | City of Toronto | Kijiji
sailortype is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:29   #10

Boat: Legend 37.5, 1968 Alcort Sunfish, Avon 310

Niagara 35. Very solid boat, in your price range, available on both sides of the border. Without a doubt, this is what I would choose. There are five available on Lake Ontario, two on Lake Erie. The one in Brockville you can go see today!

niagara 35 Boats For Sale
Tetepare is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:35   #11

Boat: ODay 322

there is a very well kept C&C Landfall for sale at the National Yacht Club in Toronto. I think they are asking around $44,000 canadian.
Owners are John and Karen Pratt.
naitaka322 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 08:58   #12

Boat: Catalina 34

A freind near here, Traverse City MI, has a Pearson 365 ketch for a reasonable price. It can be found on https://audioseastories.com/advert/pearson-365/

Bill and his wife renovated the boat for a major voyage but stayed in fresh water. The boat is in exceptional condition and worth looking at.
dfloeter is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:33   #13

Boat: Snipe, Roughwater 41, and Islander 36

Hi!
I would suggest a 1979/1980/1981 vintage C & C. A friend of my nephew's just bought a VERY NICE C&C 34 for under 30K. Ready to go.
CLady is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 09:42   #14

Boat: Catalina 30

Quote:
Originally Posted by AnglaisInHull View Post
So, after insisting I wouldn't, I'm shopping for a boat.

Great Lakes cruising for now, something that works for a couple but would be comfortable if we invite another couple for a week or two. Comfort is more important than speed. Not interested in doing major repairs or upgrades. Initial location would likely be Kingston (Ontario), so a boat on the Canadian side of Lake Ontario would be the easy answer.

Based on the above, my first guess is that we're looking for something in the 35 foot range, and can probably expect to pay $50,000 CDN (so about $37.50 US) or more, but hopefully not too much more.

Most of you don't have boats for sale, but I'm hoping to take advantage of your knowledge to help me figure out what I'm looking for. All ideas and suggestions are welcome.
I have a Catalina 30 for sale perfect for Lake ont
idylours is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-02-2017, 10:03   #15

More great ideas - I'll be looking into these.

idylours: Thanks, but experience has shown that anything under 33' is small for what we want to do.

Tags
great lakes