Cruisers Forum

Go Back   Cruisers & Sailing Forums > The Fleet > General Sailing Forum
Cruiser Wiki Click Here to Login
Register Vendors FAQ Community Calendar Today's Posts Log in

This discussion is proudly sponsored by:
Please support our sponsors and let them know you heard about their products on Cruisers Forums. Advertise Here

Thread Tools Search this Thread Rate Thread Display Modes
Old 14-11-2018, 11:57   #1

Boat: Hanse 531
I wanted to start a build thread but all I got was this t-shirt and a delivered boat

We were getting excited here since in our order confirmation HanseYachts said they would start building our boat (a Hanse 388) in mid-November.

So, in the middle of us trying our best to get even a single build picture of our soon-to-be new boat (we didn't, we won't) our dealer suddenly drops us an email saying that the boat will be completed in just two weeks!

If the schedule holds (Nov 27th), the whole process from ordering to delivery will have taken a mind-boggling three months. Go, Hanse!

But but... what will the quality be? Will it be perfect in every way or riddled with these and those mishaps and problems? Maybe somewhere in between, but where?

I found this blog post from just under a year ago, and I sincerely wonder what happened there: https://windpilot.com/blog/en/ships/...s-experiences/

Obviously there are at least two sides to each story, but ... well. Don't know.

SO.

The blog I'm writing is actually about all of this. While I hope everything will be like sunshine, and that the yacht manufacturing business (HanseYachts in particular) turns out quality yachts where everything is in order, I want to write very honestly about our experiences. Either way, it's quite exciting.

Additionally, it would be fun and interesting to hear your experiences about other ("production boat") brands. Do the others produce boats as quickly? When handed over to the customer, are they generally ready to sail safely or more a less under construction for the next few months? Does the quality within a brand vary much?

I'm maybe starting to see the light why they are called 'production boats', but I keep my hopes up that this is more than not a good thing
Old 14-11-2018, 12:50   #2

Boat: Hatteras CPMY 63’
Re: I wanted to start a build thread but all I got was this t-shirt and a delivered b

You probably got bumped up one slot on the production line because someone else dropped out.
Woodland Hills is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 14-11-2018, 13:07   #3

Re: I wanted to start a build thread but all I got was this t-shirt and a delivered b

Quote:
Originally Posted by Woodland Hills View Post
You probably got bumped up one slot on the production line because someone else dropped out.
Yup, guess so.
Old 16-11-2018, 12:23   #4

Did I irritate you all? I was aiming at funny

Any comments about the substance? Recent Jeanneaus, Beneteaus, Bavarias (or similar brands)? What are their production times and what is the delivery quality? Any first or second hand experiences?
Old 17-11-2018, 23:38   #5

Boat: Island Packet 349

I ordered a new at that time, before it was officially announced, Beneteau 34 in August 2008. It was delivered in October 2008. Had a few minor new boat problems that the dealer took care of.
Now i have a new Island Packet on order that is being built, and i expect to have it delivered around June.
Lost Horizons is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 03:48   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lost Horizons View Post
I ordered a new at that time, before it was officially announced, Beneteau 34 in August 2008. It was delivered in October 2008. Had a few minor new boat problems that the dealer took care of.
Now i have a new Island Packet on order that is being built, and i expect to have it delivered around June.
Ok, so delivering a sailboat in three months isn't that unheard of if Beneteau did it already ten years ago

Congrats on your new boat!
Old 20-11-2018, 04:25   #7

Boat: Southerly

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post
Ok, so delivering a sailboat in three months isn't that unheard of if Beneteau did it already ten years ago

Congrats on your new boat!
Production boats can be manufactured vastly more quickly than low volume alternatives. Here's a quote from a post on YBW

This promises to be very different from the build of my new Bavaria in 2015. Moulded hull on a Monday, complete by Friday midday. Paperwork available next Tuesday, paid final balance same day and delivered to Hamble on following Sunday. If it had not been for Coppercoating it could have been commissioned and launched by following weekend. Actually handover (with no defects) 3 weeks later.

Hope your build goes as smoothly even if it takes longer. Does give you the chance to record it though!
Adrian Chen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 04:42   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adrian Chen View Post
Production boats can be manufactured vastly more quickly than low volume alternatives. Here's a quote from a post on YBW

This promises to be very different from the build of my new Bavaria in 2015. Moulded hull on a Monday, complete by Friday midday. Paperwork available next Tuesday, paid final balance same day and delivered to Hamble on following Sunday. If it had not been for Coppercoating it could have been commissioned and launched by following weekend. Actually handover (with no defects) 3 weeks later.

Hope your build goes as smoothly even if it takes longer. Does give you the chance to record it though!

And that YBW quote is quite amazing.

I've been following your build thread (and read your web page), and it feels like the build process itself is a very special (wanted to say 'magical' ) part of the whole affair.

Still, it would be interesting to know how you reason this, not going with a less expensive (I assume) production built boat? Are they on a completely different planet in your mind, or just a few deal breakers that could be addressed should the production boat builders choose to do so?

Best of wishes to your project!
Old 20-11-2018, 06:22   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by mglonnro View Post

And that YBW quote is quite amazing.

I've been following your build thread (and read your web page), and it feels like the build process itself is a very special (wanted to say 'magical' ) part of the whole affair.

Still, it would be interesting to know how you reason this, not going with a less expensive (I assume) production built boat? Are they on a completely different planet in your mind, or just a few deal breakers that could be addressed should the production boat builders choose to do so?

Best of wishes to your project!
That's a difficult question to answer, I guess if no semi custom boats existed I'd choose from what was available but I can remember a time before the market began consolidating when most boats were built by comparatively small builders with a completely manual process, which as time went by became increasingly costly compared to those manufactured under modern series production techniques. Those boats reflected the owner that commissioned them in their choices of materials and equipment, whilst their increasingly lower cost competing production boats supply what is demanded by the majority of the market, naturaly enough. So if I want something that's not in the standard offerings of the production guys, I have to go with the semi custom folk, and judge the value of that to me against the total cost of ownership over the time I keep the boat. There are a few design factors that are involved here, variable draught, moderate/heavy displacement, very strong rig/mast section for the size of the boat and a two cabin layout are things I like. Equipment specification and choices - right or wrong but the old adage that cruising is boat maintenance in exotic places is one I'd like to disprove, and the builders experience and flexibility is important here.

Could the production builders address all this? Yes and probably produce the identical boat cheaper, but it's a comparatively small niche for those guys, if they saw an opportunity for their investors they undoubtedly would pursue it.

Yes the build process is fun, choosing those aspects of the boat that matter to you and seeing them designed in, approved and built is very satisfying. The strong relationship that can develop between the company and its customers is also beneficial to both in my view.

Probably not as clear an answer as you would like, but my best shot
Old 20-11-2018, 11:16   #10

Quote:
Probably not as clear an answer as you would like, but my best shot
It was very enjoyable to read! Thank you
Old 20-11-2018, 11:49   #11

Boat: Under construction 35' ketch (and +3 smaller)

I was into ordering new boat some 15 years ago. It took three years to complete the drawings and now after 12 more years the boat has left the shed thou there were dozens of changes I insisted. Unfortunately according the builder it won't be completed before 2021

Alas for me
Teddy
TeddyDiver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 20-11-2018, 21:26   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by TeddyDiver View Post
I was into ordering new boat some 15 years ago. It took three years to complete the drawings and now after 12 more years the boat has left the shed thou there were dozens of changes I insisted. Unfortunately according the builder it won't be completed before 2021

Alas for me
Teddy
I just got a "moment of zen" feeling reading this. Heartbeat slowing down, deep breaths. Life is sometimes just as hectic as I have made it to be
Old 28-11-2018, 21:19   #13

Whoa! Yesterday we got the first pictures of our boat!

Hanse wouldn't have sent any but because we're in a funny contractual deadlock*) our dealer asked for them to send at least a picture showing the CE-number of the hull. Happily they sent one showing the whole boat, as well.

So here it is!

*) Our financing provider (Handelsbanken) won't pay the final payment without there actually being a finished boat, but HanseYachts won't deliver the Builder's Certificate (the proof of a finished boat) before the final payment is made.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	hanse003.jpg
Views:	166
Size:	403.8 KB
ID:	181461  
Old 28-11-2018, 23:31   #14

Congratulations - She looks like she's doing 10 knots just standing still!

When/Where will you take delivery?

Ours wont be delivered until she gets back from the Dusseldorf boat show, and then the rig will go on, so I guess March time.
Old 29-11-2018, 00:12   #15

Quote:
Congratulations - She looks like she's doing 10 knots just standing still!

When/Where will you take delivery?

Ours wont be delivered until she gets back from the Dusseldorf boat show, and then the rig will go on, so I guess March time.
Thank you!

If everything goes as it should the handover should be in April. It's not unusual to still have ice over here in April (anyway it's terribly cold), so sailing home hopefully not earlier than early May.

It would be really cool to see your boat at the show, btw. We were thinking a bit about going

Tags
boat, wanted